Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• @little5bee: I'm negative on fund-of-funds, with an .94% expense ratio. I'd rather own a biotech fund, such as FBTCX, a general healthcare fund, like PRHSX, QQQ, in the tech space, and XLY and XLP
    Regards,
    Ted

M* Snapshot FV
    :http://www.morningstar.com/etfs/xnas/fv/quote.html
  • @Ted The less tinkering I do, the better...the "set-it-and-forget-it" approach appeals to me. I just wonder what the criteria are for selling one sector and buying another...hopefully, at the top!
  • I owned FV for a while because I thought it was a good concept but sold it after the price went haywire in the August crash (trading was halted in some of the underlying stocks and FV flash crashed). Also got rid of my other ETFs
  • @Joe thanks for info! I also thought the concept was interesting...till I read your summary.
  • Just compared with CAPE and DSENX, as it seems not dissimilar but a lot jumpier for sure. I am sticking with DSENX.
  • @little5bee
    I think this is a trading vehicle designed with the intention it be used as an investment vehicle. [see Professor Dave's opinion about this, expressed well in the September Commentary http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/2015/09/september-1-2015/ ] That's a bad recipe, IMO fraught with peril. Pardon (or enjoy) the imagery, but I think someday, paraphrasing former US Attorneys General and convicted felon John Mitchell, somebody's gonna get their titties caught in the wringer.
  • @davidrmoran I own DSENX, as well...very steady performer.

@heezsafe :o
  • @little5bee
    The less tinkering I do, the better...the "set-it-and-forget-it" approach appeals to me. I just wonder what the criteria are for selling one sector and buying another...hopefully, at the top!
    Have you investigated lazy portfolios? The concept of rebalancing implies not picking at a top, but taking a bit of profit as a position becomes overweighted (sell high), yet "lets its profits run" on the remaining position. The profit taken is then invested in lower performing position as in "buy low". Some links:

marketwatch.com/lazyportfolio

Bogleheads Lazy Portfolios