Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Santa

I reckon this must be the Santa Claus Rally I've been reading about:)

Comments

• There is coal in my stocking this year. (Along with oil and junk bonks).
  • We're lucky to even have a stocking left...
  • Not one of my ideas worked this year.
  • @MFO Members: With today's negative numbers, the S&P 500 just flipped back to negative for 2015. This makes the 25th time the index has flipped from positive to negative in 2015.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited December 2015

Panic in high-yield hits BDCs
    Dec 11 2015, 15:40 ET | By: Stephen Alpher, SA News Editor Contact this editor with comments or a news tip
    Treasury yields are plunging, but high-yield is headed the other way again as investors mull a big selloff in the major averages and oil's plunge to below $36 per barrel.The pain is widespread, but a panic in credit is particularly painful for BDCs. Hitting the tape a few minutes ago, Jeff Gundlach says "there's never just one cockroach" when credit melts down.http://seekingalpha.com/news/2980206-panic-in-high-yield-hits-bdcs?uprof=46
    Gundlach: If Fed met today, it wouldn't hike
    Dec 11 2015, 15:30 ET | By: Stephen Alpher, SA News Editor
    "There's never just one cockroach" when credit melts down, Jeffrey Gundlach tells Reuters, and investors have been on "credit overload."The best trade at the moment, he says, is to sell the S&P 500 and buy closed-end credit funds (not Third Avenue's!)
    http://seekingalpha.com/news/2980186-gundlach-if-fed-met-today-it-wouldnt-hike
    More Coal
    OPEC piled on the bad news. After last week’s removal of a production target, this week the oil cartel released figures that showed the group collectively produced the most oil in three years in November, ramping up output to 31.7 million barrels per day (mb/d). Iraq accounted for most of the monthly gains, achieving more than 247,000 barrels per day in increases from October.

The bearish news suggests more pain in the offing for U.S. shale. The EIA put out an estimate, expecting U.S. shale to lose 116,000 barrels per day in production in January, with the largest losses once again coming from the Eagle Ford shale (down 77,000 barrels per day).
    http://oilprice.com/newsletters/free/opintel12112015
  • "more pain in the offing for U.S. shale."

What I can't compute is the nature of the endgame. OK, our best-buddies the Saudi's can shut down our shale and marginally more-expensive production. Then what? They can up the price again but not all that far- our reserves aren't going anywhere- if they increase the barrel price a bit too much, we're back on line again. It seems to me that from an anti-OPEC cartel situation we are in a very good position: no need to actually pump, just maintain the threat.