Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

what has held up well?

edited January 2016 in Fund Discussions
This topic started to emerge in another thread, but I think it deserves its own. What do you own that has held up well...other than bonds/bond funds/bond etfs? My candidates are AQR Premia and Market Neutral, MCXAX and OTTRX. My XOM and to a lesser degree CVX, have both performed well on a relative basis. Any others?

Comments

• On absolute terms, PQTDX, and on relative terms, GLFOX, VDIGX for me.
    RNDLX is also OK considering how far stock funds have fallen.
  • edited January 2016
    Glad I discovered utilities, while the spam hits the fan. I started a position and added to it through November, in the midcap elec. utility, PNM. While everything else hugged the zero-line or experienced losses, this one grew. Falling today with everything else, but it had been rising, to approach a 2-year high, at $31.60. Currently $29.94, as I write this, 2:30 p.m. on Friday, amid all the carnage. PNM has raised its dividend by 10% lately, also.
  • Of my funds, my utility fund FRUAX has held up reasonably well, as of yesterday flat for the year, which is my best performer ytd:). A couple of my consumer stocks holding up, but rest of portfolio in red except for individual bonds I hold.
    @Crash, glad PNM holding up for you, will pass along anything I hear in local news about it.
  • edited January 2016
    RPIBX (T. Rowe International Bond) gained a half percent today putting it ahead .66% YTD.
  • edited January 2016
    OGS nat gas utility
  • Hi guys!
    Glad to see some things have held. WAVIX and RYSBX are up for me. The rest.....not so much. So, hunker down and hold tight, laddies! This, too, shall pass.
    God bless
    the Pudd
  • edited January 2016
    "What has held up well?" Cash.

• Hi DlphcOracl!
    I want to congratulate you on a brilliant call. As you are side-stepping the pain, I will toast you with a longneck later today.
    God bless
    the Pudd
    p.s. It'll be LandShark, for your information!
  • Hi Puddnhead!

LandShark? I admire your taste in carbonated beverages:-)

Brilliant call? Not until I decide when to re-enter the market and "there is the rub". Is this a garden variety 10% to 12% correction, an unusually steep correction (20% or so) in an ongoing secular bull market (as in April thru October 2012) or are we in the 3rd or 4th innings of a full blown bear market that will drop the S&P 500 30% to 50% from its high of 2134 on June 2015?

All I know is what I have stated on a different thread - it was far too difficult to make too little money from June 1 to December 31st 2015 and I felt it was time to step to the sidelines for a bit. It still does not feel right.
  • edited January 2016
    ARIVX, ICMIX and GLRBX
  • "What has held up well?" Cash.

That's why his name is DlphcOracl! ;)
  • Actually, PRSNX looks good, looking back over ytd and back 1 month. DLFNX even better. DLTNX, even better than that.
  • As I learned from 2008, cash ain't trash! Late last year I also learned that I should have diversified my investments more than I had, but I got lucky on that one.

I was heavily into health care until Hillary's August tweet attacking drug pricing sent these funds & individual equities spiraling down, down, and down some more. They came back and I sold these funds/equities in Nov. when I broke even. I kept that cash (about 65% of my folio) in cash as I didn't care for being whipsawed & I saw Hillary continuing on the populist warpath against health care. Nor did I like the global economic outlook & the environment of the fed raising rates. After being whipsawed, I really liked the feeling of a smooth ride and didn't immediately put that cash to work. And I still haven't!

In retrospect it was pure luck that I put so much of my portfolio into cash when I did. I thought the market would sell-off a bit, but I wasn't expecting what 2016 has given us. I have a shopping list for that cash, but I'm holding off until, well, whenever...
  • edited January 2016
    PopTart:

By moving to 65% cash in November 2015, inadvertently or otherwise, you have avoided being toasted. :-)
  • Not only do I not like being whipsawed, I also don't like being toast! But it really was pure luck that I avoided the toaster...:)
  • @PopTart I managed to avoid most of the downdraft, as well. I am building a house, so I sold a lot of my taxable account to buy the lot, put down deposits, buy furniture, etc. I am hoping the market stays down till I sell my existing home and I have some liquidity.

Now my Roth...that's a different story...but I'm a long-term investor;)
  • @little5bee I got lucky and read the tea leaves right. Sounds like your timing was good too! I can't give any advice about if the market's going to stay down, but my gut says it'll be extreme upswings and downswings for much of this year.