Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• When both of your previously successful funds (SSSFX, SSEFX) hit the wall, what do you do? First you sell yourself to AMG, then you re-open the closed fund, then you think you're global investors. Brown Company (BCSIX) has a great small-cap fund, but their two international funds are worse than window dressing.
  • Interesting - but for global small-cap investing I'll stick with my Grandeur Peak funds. I've owned SSSFX for over a decade and concentrated funds like this are tough to own - be prepared to be the worst performer for a couple of years then the best performer for a couple of years.

Ben - I agree about the global investors part - I would think that would require some significant firm analyst/research buildout.
  • That's what I found at both Brown and SouthernSun: the same people who have been managing the domestic funds suddenly become global or international managers. I'm a big fan of Grandeur Peak. They don't sit in offices in Baltimore, Memphis, or Salt Lake; they travel.
  • @BenWP- Yes, but that surely adds to the ER. Can't have that!
    :)