Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

DBLTX, TOTL or both?

I am interested in purchasing one or both of these Doubleline funds for a portion of my bond portfolio. My research indicates that each of these funds have a substantial mortgage backed securities component but that Mr Gundlach intends TOTL to be a bit more risky than DBLTX.

Would it make sense to own both of this funds or just one? Thanks!

Comments

• @Bitzer
    Do your other bond fund holdings have any overlap/duplication of holdings of these Doubleline funds?
    As noted, both are mortgage leaning; with DBLTX having about 87% of holdings stated as AAA credit quality (as of 3-31-16). The stated credit quality of TOTL is lower. If I was interested in this bond area at this time, I would have a coin toss.
    Of little help, I suspect; but just a look.
  • Thanks, Catch. Maybe a little of each...
  • JG talks about the difference between TOTL and DBLTX.

IBD: What are the similarities and differences between the Total Return Fund and TOTL, the ETF?

Gundlach: They're not the same.

The interest-rate risk in TOTL is the same

Read more: http://www.nasdaq.com/article/is-doublelines-jeffrey-gundlach-the-new-bond-king-cm505054#ixzz3rNvBpyY9
    FWIW, I use TOTL. My other fixed income funds include PIMIX, AGG and muni CEFs/OEF.

Here's a discussion on TOTL at M*.
    socialize.morningstar.com/NewSocialize/forums/p/361154/3752952.aspx#3752952
  • I certainly hope that there was more to the conversation than shown above:

"IBD: What are the similarities and differences between the Total Return Fund and TOTL, the ETF?

Gundlach: They're not the same."

What an illuminating reply! Sounds like an argument with my wife.