Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

RiverNorth, DoubleLine Launch Closed End Fund

FYI: RiverNorth Capital Management announced the launch of its closed end RiverNorth/DoubleLine Strategic Opportunity Fund (OPP) Wednesday, for which it serves as advisor and DoubleLine Capital serves as sub-advisor.

The fund started trading on the NYSE on September 28. RiverNorth said that the fund will opportunistically invest in fixed income securities and tactically invests in closed-end funds.
Regards,
Ted
http://blogs.barrons.com/focusonfunds/2016/10/05/rivernorth-doubleline-launch-closed-end-fund/tab/print/

Comments

• edited October 2016
    Holds no interest for me. Leveraged, very expensive, textbook asset gathering.....
    http://www.rivernorth.com/closed-end-funds/opp
  • The new CEF sounds a LOT like its old OEF product: RNDLX.
  • 2% load and 2.94% expense ratio. No thanks, why pay the middleman if I want to invest in CEFs?
  • @Sven, I agree. Right now in the FI space, I like Ivascyn (PIMIX, PDIIX, PDI), Gundlach (DBLFX, ADLIX) and WHAIX (available at TDAmeritrade for no minimum in retirement accounts with TF). Nothing else.

Kevin
  • @kevindow, Right now in this low interest rate environment, the only thing that is predictable is the management fee/expense ratio. I like VCIT and VCLT, and OSTIX. The rest I let Wellington and PRCWX's to make the bond allocation.
  • edited October 2016
    @Sven Speaking of OSTIX, Carl Kaufman will be doing a 3rd qtr. teleconference tomorrow. Tune in here, if you have the time to spare:
    https://secure.confertel.net/tsRegister.asp?course=6191432
  • edited October 2016
    Sven, I'm not sure where you heard there's a 2% "load" for, well, any cef; they trade like stocks, with a simple commission (e.g., $8 a trade with Fidelity). A comment on M* referred to a haircut of about that size at the initial public offering (no idea here why such a haircut would exist), so possibly that's the source of the confusion, but there are no loads like those for A, C, etc. shares of open-end funds associated with any closed-end fund.

That ~ 3% E.R. is apparently the result of the double-fee structure of this fund-o'-funds.
  • heezsafe said:

Carl Kaufman will be doing a 3rd qtr. teleconference tomorrow.

If either of you have a chance to listen to it and report, I and I'm sure others would appreciate it. OSTIX has popped back up on the radar lately for me, too, but I can't do that time tomorrow. I think I need to diversify my credit FI exposure; it's almost all with Pimco at this point.
  • @AndyJ, I got the load info from the RiverNorth prospectus, p.37.
  • @heezsafe, thanks for heads up. Unfortunate I will be at work. Wonder if the telecom would be posted later on Osterweis website?
  • @Sven The e-mail notice I received is for the OSTIX teleconference on the 11th as well as for the OSTFX and OSTVX webinar on the 26th--- "Replays will be available approximately a week after the discussions," it states.
    @AndyJ I may be able to tune in for awhile. The fund is back up to 22.6% cash (fact sheet has been updated), so they are expecting something to happen fairly soon; however, those guys keep their cards pretty close to the vest, so-to-speak, so I'm not anticipating any great revelations about strategy from Carl K. in tomorrow's tele.
  • edited October 2016
    Sven said:

@AndyJ, I got the load info from the RiverNorth prospectus, p.37.

From the language - "as a percentage of offering price" - that's for the ipo. After the ipo, a buyer buys shares from other investors, through the middleman of an exchange, just like a stock with the normal commission, with the price set by investor demand, not by the offering price. There's no mechanism for collecting a load and sending it to the fund sponsors after the ipo. Here's the M* thread where this is discussed. It's a bit confusing the way expenses are reported in the prospectus.
  • @andyJ, thanks for the clarification