Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What are you buying, selling, pondering

I thought it was time to add this one again, it always seems to be informative and good gauge of how members are thinking, acting/reacting at the moment.

Today reduced PJP, which is all pharma and put proceeds into IHI, medical devices. Earlier in year, sold my biotech fund and placed proceeds similarly.

Reduced PKW and put proceeds into VOO.

Added to VWINX.

Took some profits on MMM, NXPI and put into GIBIX. Sold VZ for tax loss

Comments

• Took a position in EABLX a few days back.
    Derf
  • Buying DBLSX today.
  • Will let the smoke clear first......that election thingy, ya know???
    Whether the new boss, will be the same as the old boss, eh?
    We'll all be fooled again, anyhoo.
  • patiently waiting to get back into GAVAX. Have a shopping list of some eponymous funds.

Correction! Here I come!!!
  • Got disenchanted with HSCSX; bought some more DSENX; reduced WSVIX.
  • edited November 2016
    Hello,

First, I'd like to thank slick for opening this thread. Let's all keep it going.

Second, I am invested within the ranges allowed for within my portfolio's asset allocation. Currently, I am about 23% cash, 24% income, 32% domestic stocks, 17% foreign stocks and 4% other as of my most recent Instant Xray analysis.

During the last month, or so, there has been a shift within my allocation as my hybrid fund managers seemed to have been busy and reconfigured their portfolios which in return has had an effect on my allocation as well. As a result I have seen within my portfolio's asset allocation changes with an increase in equities from about 45% to 49% this was in part a result of hybrid fund shifts plus I reduced cash by 2% and bought stocks. I have also noticed a movement in my style allocation as there has been some movement from my small/mid cap styles to large cap styles. In additon, I have noticed some sector shifts as well with increases in the financials, energy and technology sectors with reductions in real estate and utilities. Interestlingly, telecom has stayed about the same.

While, a good number of us retail investors ponder what to do my hybrid fund manaers seem to have been active, from what I can tell, and made some asset shifts based upon how they are reading the markets thus adapting and repositioning to the ever changing market conditions. While, I made a shift from cash to stocks, by a couple of percent, to position for a seasonal investment strategy that my family has invested in for a good number of years. I may move some more money from cash to stocks before this quarter ends into this seasonal strategy.

So while I ponder ... I'll leave it up to my active fund managers to continue to make adjustments as they feel warranted.

And, so it goes.

Skeet
  • Several days ago I posted a question here about the Schwab robo portfolios. The bigger picture for me is to get simpler. I have 9 funds currently.

Another option I am looking into is to make AOMIX my main holding ( I have a large portion in it already) along with a income fund and maybe the GNMA fund. This would get me to 3 funds. My target is 3-4 funds. I'm still pondering all this.
  • edited November 2016
    slick said:

I thought it was time to add this one again, it always seems to be informative and good gauge of how members are thinking, acting/reacting at the moment.

I think that is a good idea but what we are getting I bought/sold this symbol and not getting the why. I think knowing the why is more important then the what. The why gets to the thought process.

So next time how about changing the phrasing to something like:

What asset class (not symbol but can add it if you want) are you buying and or selling and why.

Me - I'm selling BLOOD to afford to pay for Obamacare.

I've also sold high yield bonds last month because of the increase in interest rates. I"m/the market is expecting a rate increase next month. It may be safe to get back into it after the hike.
  • Dan, I think it is an excellent suggestion to report the why the buys and sells and asset class shifts so here is more detail on what I reported.

Reduction in PKW: This used to be my largest holding, and I have been reducing it this year since I felt buybacks have seen their peak, and since 2013 has not beaten the S + P index but there are some years it does, so am keeping a foot in.

Reduced PJP since I feel no matter who wins the election, pharma will be hit further, and PJP is 100% pharma. Medical devices I feel will be hit less. I still have a slight overweight in health care, but have diversified within this sector more than I had been.

Added to VWINX to up my bond allocation back to 35% and get a bit more conservative with a portion of my portfolio.

Selling VZ for tax loss needs no explaination, I always harvest losses near year end. May or may not go back in after 30 days.
  • edited November 2016
    Slick said, "Dan, I think it is an excellent suggestion to report the why the buys and sells and asset class shifts so here is more detail on what I reported."

@Slick, That's very unfair to those of us who employ the Spin The Bottle approach.:)

Geez - What to trade? Major markets have been stuck in neutral for a long time. Guess bonds are getting banged up a little due to prospect for Fed tightening. And real estate got clocked pretty good for same reason. Regarding the latter, it's too late to sell and too soon to buy IMHO. Oil probably overshot a bit at $51 and has corrected.

A lot of cross-currents in the energy markets with the election mess. On one hand, Hillary would likely be tougher with the clean air standards. But Trump has suggested seizing some of the Mideast oil fields - which would surely impact oil prices. Gold and silver are flying high this week - perhaps the fear factor - as rising rates would normally dampen demand.

If you're feeling confused ... so am I. Essentially sitting here watching paint dry. But enjoy hearing what others are doing.
    -

PS: (Just to remain topical) I'll report moving a very small sum out of a government money market fund and into an ultra-short bond fund recently. Reason - to earn more.
  • Been adding to TIPS and Senior Loans, SRLN, BKLN, SCHP, ACITX.

Also took a small gamble on Valeant stock yesterday, VRX. I did hear in another thread here that health care companies aren't price gouging. Made me feel better about the buy... (a little sarcasm).

• At the moment I'm stalking a bunch of equities - GE, BCE, VOD, NHI, several others, including some smaller utilities. Hopefully they'll hit my buy points (which I established in April) during any election-related volatility.

I plan to move more $$ into PRWCX and other OEFs I hold after they go ex-div in December.
  • I hold PRWCX in my tax deferred account. It has been my largest holding for the past 10 years. It is closed only to new investors. It has surpassed its bench mark allocation type over a period of 15 years and there is no passive fund that can match it..
    For those who have it maybe it is good to continue adding before it completely closes.
    prinx
  • @Old_Skeet How do you know that your mutual funds change portfolio allocation if they report only semiannually?
  • edited November 2016
    Hi @DavidV,

Thanks for the question.

I use Morningstar's portfolio Instant Xray Analysis to review my overall allocation for my portfolio. To spot changes I compare the most current report run to previous Xray analysis reports noting differences found. There is usually a 30 day lag in funds reporting their holdings; however, a few funds I own lag behind this. For instance, Franklin Income Fund A (FKINX), my largest position, most recent reporting in Morningstar Portfolio indicates a reference date of 9/30/2016. So, it is relative current data.

I have provided a link to Morningstar Portfolio Report for FKINX. Notice the September 30th date.

http://portfolios.morningstar.com/fund/summary?t=FKINX&region=usa&culture=en_US

In addition, below is a link to the portfolio analysis tool that can be used.

http://portfolio.morningstar.com/RtPort/Free/InstantXRayDEntry.aspx?dt=0.7055475

Perhaps, you will find these links helpful?

Skeet
  • edited November 2016
    Thanks Skeet. It is a little strange to see portfolio updates monthly, as MF are obligated to report holdings quarterly.
  • Doubled my position in SIGIX, making it a heavy holding ... nominally 10-20%.

Moved cash into COF 2017 bond yielding just over about 1.5% ... now heavy.

Considering CHK 2017 junk bond ... but waiting to upcoming earnings call.

That's it.

Remain steady with BAC, AIG, AA (now AA and ARNC), and great pumpkin FAAFX. My main long-term holdings.

c
  • just sitting here stunned that REXX broke my buy-in price of .50 and closed yesterday at .44. i mean, seriously!
  • linter said:

just sitting here stunned that REXX broke my buy-in price of .50 and closed yesterday at .44. i mean, seriously!

Surprised to see someone waiting for a penny stock to be in pennies but then having to buy at less pennies:-)

Seriously, though if you don't mind, can you please explain your rationale behind buying REXX instead of say Profunds UltraEnergy?
  • REXX was up near 60 cents recently, and is a solvent company in a tough market. I have advocated for it at this level, rightly or wrongly.
  • i just put a tiny amount of money in it. and i do mean tiny. just for the hell of it. or just to keep david company.
  • edited November 2016
    10000 shares at 0.25 = $2500, the minimum investment for most funds. To prove to you I can make a company go bankrupt, if it reaches 0.25 I will buy. Then we can have "solvent" discussions.

PS I'm also waiting for GROW to go to 0.25:-P

Maybe look at PVFIX portfolio and get another 0.25 cent stock? You know I have never been to VEGAS:-D
  • @linter :)
    All company welcome !
    The price now is chiefly a function of oil pricing, as you know. Hang in.
  • oh man let's not talk about pot stocks. i continue to hold several that are worth .0002, with me being down 99%. bought them during the last bull run for these things and held on to several wwwway tooooo long. happily, i sold some at the height so even with the ones going to zero i made 25k on an investment of about half that. when they flew they flew, when they crashed, they crashed. all i can say now is, go STEV you worthless bastid go!
  • Hi Guys,

Submittals that ask these fundamental questions almost always attract a huge response that reflects widely and wildly divergent market perspectives. That's what makes a vibrant marketplace.

I typically don't participate in these exchanges because I practice a boring and unsophisticated investing approach. In reply to the three questions asked, my answers are: buying nothing, selling nothing, and pondering as little as possible.

Over my long history of market participation ( over 60 years ), I have consistently narrowed my portfolio from individual stocks to actively managed mutual funds to passively managed Index funds and a few ETFs. My guiding principle is cost and time commitment reduction. Past extensive efforts were not adequately rewarded. So I adjusted and adopted a more sanguine approach. Life is less complex and more worry free. I am quite happy with market returns.

The markets have already adjusted anticipating a December Fed interest rate change upward, and even the disruptions of a Presidential election are quickly and smoothly accommodated. Outside of an annual rebalancing, I rarely modify my portfolio positions, although I have made a few errors when selecting a fund manager. Those errors are now completely eliminated with an Index dominated portfolio.

So I'm not buying, not selling and not much pondering. That adequately summarizes my current, and likely future inactivity. I'm a dull, dull, but a very relaxed investor.

Best Wishes.
  • @MJG - well, you are nothing if not boring. (just having fun so don't bunch up your undies)
  • Hi Mark,

No problem! No harm, no foul. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Investing can be as simple or as complex as the investor wishes. I'm moving in the simplicity direction.

There is a terrific video that illustrates this attribute from a behavioral perspective. The title of this insightful video presentation is "Behavioral finance and investment strategy". It's a little over 1 hour long. Here is the Link:

I hope you visit this Berkeley Haas business school presentation. Sometimes college work can contribute to a better understanding of the investment processes. Enjoy.

Best Wishes.
  • edited November 2016
    Not even pondering MJG? Geez, Mark is right! :)

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
    Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore—
    While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
    As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.

Complete poem (if anyone cares)
    https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poems/detail/48860