Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Tobacco Stocks Are Flaming Out

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • buy buy buy
  • Check out today's WSJ. Since 2002, tobacco stocks have clocked the S&P 500.

• RAI got bought recently by British Tobacco, didn't they? Not sure when the symbol stops being traded, though.
    Maurice said:

I didn't notice Reynolds American Inc (RAI) in the article. But I checked Yahoo, and RAI is down about 2.25%.

• edited July 2017
    Tobacco stocks may be the best investment since 2002, and for the next 50 years...but as an ex-smoker and heart attack survivor, I will pass. I refuse to make money from purveyors of cancer and pulmonary disease. Sorry for the buzz kill.
  • Totally agree with @PRESSmUP.
  • I have personally owned VFTSX for years. It may not do better (or worse) than VFINX, but I am a first-generation non-smoker in my family. I have seen how bad the products really are, so just can't go there. And no, I don't go the whole ESG route, but there are certainly some very good options for those who do.
  • edited July 2017
    Maurice said:

Well if you are going to turn this thread into a holier than though discussion....

What makes it a "holier than though" discussion to point out that the tobacco companies make their money selling products which harm, and kill, their customers? And whose research focused on ways to make their products even MORE addictive? Which, by the way, is why the stocks took a hit.
  • Maurice tends to get overly excited from time to time, but he's actually a pretty decent sort (for the right, that is).:)
  • edited August 2017
  • @MFO Members: In 2011 a doctor stood at the foot of my hospital bed and said, "Ted if you don't quit smoking you'll be dead within a year." As a 3 pack a day smoker for over fifty years that was quite a wake-up call. The long-term effects leave me with CHF coupled with COPD that thankfully are manageable.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited August 2017