Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Investing effect from amoral, dysfunctional, insulting, obscene, vulgar central government

edited August 2017 in Off-Topic
First, at this point in time; money talks and therefore no negative investing affect. Yes? IMO, a not uncommon circumstance.
Will there be a political breaking point that might affect domestic or foreign money flows into investments?

Well, this write began on Saturday and I expected to have enough time to write a meaningful blip. I've since removed the original text and the main offensive individual is now doing something else at the WH.

I must have missed responses from moral individuals in Congress regarding Mr. Scaramucci's foul mouth comments about others in the political orbits. Or where there none in Congress who condemned his public language???
Link me a comment, if you are aware one exists.

Not unlike Mr. Trump's statement about John McCain, " by saying of the Arizona senator and former prisoner of war: “He’s not a war hero. He’s a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured.”; Mr. Scaramucci's interview language told/tell me what I need to know, as well as Mr. Trump's McCain statement about both of their characters. Its really that simple of an observation in human nature, without need for a Phd in social sciences.

The local seamstress has begun sewing small Canadian flags onto our soft sided luggage.

I'm now fully embarrassed and sad to think that a citizen of another country will look upon me and shake their head in sadness and disgust.

So much for 4 years of active military service, eh? For what has and is coming forth from this administration.

Y'all need to take care of you and yours.

Sincerely,
Catch

Comments

• "Abandon hope, all ye who enter here." ... Dante, "The Inferno."
  • @catch22- Well, the Marines seem to have dealt with Mr. Scaramucci in short order. Semper Fi!!

Back when Mr. Trump made those remarks about John McCain I mentioned to my wife that he would regret them, sooner or later. Turns out to have been sooner, yes?

The current White House crew doesn't have a clue as to what they don't know with respect to DC power dynamics. Right now you can bet that major DC powers, congressional & "other", are about four moves ahead in anticipating how they will work with VP Pence once Mr. Trump is moved out of the way.

Frankly, I fear that a bit more than the present situation- Pence seems to be reasonably competent.
  • Pence is a dimwitted benighted misogynist hack, come on, with the experience of a backward Midwestern guv
  • I trust you are not disparaging us Midwesterners, just all Midwestern governors? I have been fed up with Washington for the last 10-12 years, but it's the media that really disappoints me. Oh, for the days when there was no cable news. Of course, there is no cable news for me since I don't watch it, ever. And Old_Joe is so right...Scaramucci was taken out by the Marine!
  • TedTed
    edited August 2017
    @Catch22: What ?
    Regards,
    Ted:(
  • edited August 2017
    Just buy booze and/or pharmaceutical (esp. those w/depression or anxiety meds) stocks -- either equities or actual bottles of the stuff. And as you said, take care of you, yours, and those you care about -- b/c the "system" in DC is only looking out for itself these days, and has been for many years now. And try really hard to acknowledge the chaos and harden yourself enough to ride out the storm. Easier said than done, trust me. At times I wonder if our livers will survive this regime, too. :(

ETA: DT embarrasses the country & scares me w/his ignorant flailing around. Pence won't embarrass the country but terrifies me w/his religious-political views.
  • @BobC, as a born buckeye I am disparaging neither Midwesterners nor all Midwestern guvs. But you knew that. I feel saved by the investigative media (print); where would we be the last 20 years without them? Pence is as benighted as a guv can be these days outside Kansas or Wisconsin --- fetal burials and sundry other Talibanic "Christianity".
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • "Pence is a dimwitted benighted misogynist hack, come on, with the experience of a backward Midwestern guv "

@davidmoran- Seems to me that that qualifies as "reasonably competent", compared to the current situation.
  • "Pence won't embarrass the country but terrifies me w/his religious-political views."

@rforno- Exactly.
  • Oh, Maurice, reading comprehension yet again.

'Everyone'? You need to read more, too, not just more carefully.
  • David, the problem is that most people only read or watch that which they already agree with and/or offers support to their narrow, firmly ensconced views. Heaven forbid they consider what the opposing side has to say and then engage in friendly debate. 45 is a prime example of that and fuels the inferno with baseless claims and shouts of fake news which he feels no need to back up with facts or evidence.
  • To an extent, but I actually do not see that as the chief problem, given what passes for "conservative" policy thinking today. Elected reps and appointed heads who do not understand what insurance is and how it works, who do not understand diplomacy and its tedious slogs, who do not understand scientific method, nor proven economics, nor female autonomy, and on and on. I try and read as much substantial right thought as I can find, but it is slim pickins. And of course the smarter conservatives (Gerson, Rubin, Frum, Douthat, et alia) sound more and more progressive by the week.
  • And the Dems in Washington are such honest and law abiding citizens. Jesus.
  • See, that's the real problem, this fake false-equivalency thing. But her emails. Please. There's no chatting with people running up their bar tab. So secede already, please.
  • So much more than emails. And although my eyes were open, .....
  • haha, give a comparison list, please, do it, extensive, detailed, everything.
  • edited August 2017
    Fusion GPS, Awan Brothers, Debbie Wasserman Schultz trying to destroy drives, Hillary bleaching drives, Susan Rice not testifying, and on, and on, and on. And you believe the Russian story I am sure. Notice how that has died down so much lately. The Dems are in trouble. I don't drink. Why don't you have another for me.
  • edited August 2017
    @Catch22, Good post. But you need to be more "concrete" in the title. I first overlooked this thread believing it was about some Latin American country like Brazil.

Heard an interesting (contrary) line of reasoning from one of Bloomberg's talking heads recently.
    How it goes ... The disfunction and uncertainty in DC has reached the point where central banks (especially in the U.S.) are reluctant to raise rates - at least very much - in the current chaotic environment for fear it will throw the global economy into a tailspin. Furthermore, the artificially low rates are what's keeping global stock markets hot. (Dow crosses 22,000 as I write.) I realize that's a contrary and perhaps flawed line of reasoning. Than again, suspect there's some truth behind it.

What a difference 9 months makes. Shortly after Nov. 8, U.S. bond rates soared. The expectation was there'd be heavy deficit spending for all the infrastructure that had been promised, along with tax cuts. Here we are 9 months latter at pretty much at stalemate. Roads have only gotten worse. NYC's subway system is crumbling. (I guess there are some long overdue plans to upgrade LaGuardia underway.) The wall? Once thought to employ thousands of workers (while driving up energy and commodity prices) ... now I hear things like "enhanced security" or natural boundaries (like rivers and mountains) will constitute much of the "great wall". http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-wall-idUSKBN19Y2WN

Dunno ... but I sense that this Houdini promised so many different things to so many different constituencies that everyone took away what they wanted to hear. Brings to mind the old cliche that politicians promise everything to everyone to get elected (not limited to party affiliation).
    -

Edit: Re Houdini ... "Now you see it. Now you don't."
  • @bartab the dry:
    So weak. I was afraid you would have nothing substantial. And even if you get it all from Fox and Kellyanne, you know who else "believes" (what a fine verb that will turnout to be) the "Russian story."
  • edited August 2017
    A Michigan morn'in to you @hank

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I had hoped that someone here would have discovered"statements" from congressional folks as to the "public foulness of Scaramucci's mouth"; and posted links here.
    I'm neither Democratic or Republican party driven from local to federal elections. I do not care as to "party" affiliation from whose mouth such public statements arise. But, when such statements are tolerated, especially from the White House; from an appointed "official", my overview of those running the "show" certainly travels to what they apparently consider as tolerable for public consumption.
    I will also assume that all of those who chose not to voice an opinion, in particular; about Scaramucci's foul mouth fall into the area............"silence is affirmation"; being that they were okay with "his" circumstance.
    And these folks really want my vote???

As to the question about investment market affects; I will still maintain that money is so cheap for large scale investment purposes, that it appears only an event of the military type could cause negative investment markets reactions, at least to the equity side. Government bonds would likely benefit from a large scale scare or real actions.

I have a decently checked off "been there, done that" bucket list; which has helped shape a fairly wide view of the U.S. and global gyrations over many years. I do my best, as time allows, to attempt to remain informed, be it from left or right leaning zealots and stages in between.

Lastly, by chance, I had a small conversation with a "Republican all my life". She is one of five who play cards every Monday, with their age range from 88-92. I was assured, these ladies seldom talk politics. To her credit, she was brave enough to state that she thought Mr. Trump was doing a good job with his accomplishments. I asked as to which accomplishments. She pondered about one minute, and stated that the "stock market" is better. I had my smart phone at hand and provided her with the SPY returns for all years from and including 2009. I stated that my opinion of the excellent market returns had little to do with politics over the years; but with overwhelming chase for profits, especially related to the "cost of investment monies/low interest rates"; seeking the best places to invest money for a given amount of time and then move to another sector.
    This was "my person on the street interview". I didn't ask where she obtains her information.

Take care,
    Catch

• *shudder* That's the same logic used by certain politicians in 2015-16 who wanted people to believe that unemployment numbers, GDP, and the stock market's run[1] were all "fake news" and to be ignored ... but then magically, that all changed on 1/20/17, and now it's being trumpeted (ha ha) as a "success" of the administration and most assuredly not "fake news." Puh-lease....

[1] Okay, a lot of that 'run' was artificially supported by global central banks, I get that. And many of those 'jobs' were part-time ones, too.
    catch22 said:

Lastly, by chance, I had a small conversation with a "Republican all my life". She is one of five who play cards every Monday, with their age range from 88-92. I was assured, these ladies seldom talk politics. To her credit, she was brave enough to state that she thought Mr. Trump was doing a good job with his accomplishments. I asked as to which accomplishments. She pondered about one minute, and stated that the "stock market" is better. I had my smart phone at hand and provided her with the SPY returns for all years from and including 2009. I stated that my opinion of the excellent market returns had little to do with politics over the years; but with overwhelming chase for profits, especially related to the "cost of investment monies/low interest rates"; seeking the best places to invest money for a given amount of time and then move to another sector.
    This was "my person on the street interview". I didn't ask where she obtains her information.

Take care,
    Catch

• That is truly pathetic. The man is an idiot.
  • edited August 2017
    @Maurice

Come on Mo, knock off the misdirection. David's article examines the ability of the president to understand a subject and respond in a rational manner. The subject, Australian immigration issues, is irrelevant. It could just as well have been a discussion about cooking. I'm sorry, the man is well past being intellectually challenged, he is a self-absorbed simpleton.

• Not worthy of you Mo. That conversation clearly reveals a man who cannot listen accurately, cannot understand repeated clarification when presented in plain, simple language, and is more interested in expounding on his own preconceived prejudice than in having a rational exchange of information. If you don't think that's an accurate interpretation, let's hear an alternative explanation.