Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Rob Arnott: Dump U.S. Stocks, Buy Emerging Markets

FYI: (Click On Article Title At Top Of Google Search)

Investors with courage should load up on emerging markets stocks and sell off the U.S. ones, says Rob Arnott, the founder and CEO of Newport Beach, Calif.-based Research Affiliates and a pioneer in both asset-allocation investing and “smart beta” portfolios.

The 63-year-old Arnott earned the nickname “The Godfather of Smart Beta” because of his role in developing enhanced smart-beta index funds for a variety of A-list clients, including Pimco, Invesco PowerShares, and Charles Schwab. Smart-beta funds take an active approach to passive management, using factors such as value, low volatility, and momentum to outpace long-term returns from market-weighted strategies.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&q=Rob+Arnott:+Dump+U.S.+Stocks,+Buy+Emerging+Markets+Barron's&oq=Rob+Arnott:+Dump+U.S.+Stocks,+Buy+Emerging+Markets+Barron's&gs_l=psy-ab.3...4008.9848.0.12079.12.11.0.0.0.0.96.839.11.11.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..1.8.607.6..35i39k1j33i21k1j33i160k1._pa9xi2-Uv4

Comments

• edited August 2017
    Well ... It is about time Arnott got the train back on its tracks. A few years back I owned PASAX and it did absoutely nothing for about three years while some other tactical allocation funds that I own dusted it britches thus I kicked PASAX to the curb. I was thinking of buying into the fund again but after some thought I don't want to go through another three years of nothing (again) when the time comes for him to reposition.
  • Emerging market is the best performing asset class this year. What he said is nothing new since EM is growing faster than the developed markets.
  • edited August 2017
    EM always growth faster than the developed world... they outperform this year mostly due to the plunge in USD.
    Sven said:

Emerging market is the best performing asset class this year. What he said is nothing new since EM is growing faster than the developed markets.

• def of emerging
  • def of emerging

Exactly!
    Mr Arnott is quite well educated and intelligent, but his portfolio building approach reminds the stopped clock. This time he is quite right, but this was a consensus trade of all investment prrofessionals who were breething this year. I'd rather invest with someone more flexible and tactical.
  • I've owned TGEIX for a long time and just added to it. Also bought a small position in EMF for equity exposure.