Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Anyone Recommend a Decent Large-Cap Value Fund?

I have an IRA with T Rowe Price and have some dry powder ready to buy on the next correction. (I know, I've been waiting an awfully long time!) Most of my funds are in house but I have a brokerage account which provides a pretty good selection of funds from other families. The obvious choice is PRDGX but it has lost a Morningstar * recently, though it's still a great fund. I already have BPAVX and FOCPX.

Most of my funds are growth based but I think value will catch up this year. Any recommendations (especially from personal experience) would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Take a peek at: FMIHX, PRBLX, YAFFX, AUENX. That's a good start. But, if you want more, try YCGEX (another Yacktman).
  • @Simon: There are many good Value funds. I would read the quarterly reports to see if you can understand what the Manager is attempting to do. Investing in Value is counterintuitive and you have to be willing to lag the market (on the upside). The payoff is when there's a market crash. The good Managers should lose less while preparing for the next upswing. If done properly, you're able to exploit to the down side while reloading for the next upturn.
  • Many value funds/companies are looking increasingly expensive during this continued market meltup. But I agree there are many good value funds -- perhaps the cheapest, if not certainly the most keep-it-simple-stupid (and equal-weighted!) value fund is BRLIX....at least to me. If I needed one, I'd use that -- my only beef is that it pays out annually instead of quarterly.
  • edited January 2018
    I like & own AIG SunAmerica's Focus Dividend Strategy (FDSAX). I have linked below it's fact sheet.

https://www-1012.aig.com/pdf/focused-dividend-strategy-portfolio-fact-sheet_s5110fs1.aspx
  • rforno said:

But I agree there are many good value funds -- perhaps the cheapest, if not certainly the most keep-it-simple-stupid (and equal-weighted!) value fund is BRLIX....at least to me.

Nice choice. I like Bridgeway as a company - investor-friendly, honest, treats its employees well, and FWIW donates 50% of profits to non-profit organizations. Which also brings to mind BWLIX. Now marketed by American Beacon, but still Bridgeway-managed.

Don't get too hung up on the M* ratings. First, because they're retrospective; second because changes can just as easily reflect some especially good (or bad) year falling out of view (e.g. 2007 now off the radar, 2012 out of the five year weighting); third because they are risk adjusted while one may be focused on raw performance or prefer a different perspective of risk (e.g. symmetric vs. counting downside volatility more heavily).

So long as a fund is well managed, has an approach you like (see BrianW above), is reasonably priced, and available for you to purchase, it merits consideration regardless of what's in its stars.
  • DSENX, TWEIX
  • @Simon: 183 LCV Funds ranked by U.S. News & World Report:
    Regards,
    Ted
    https://money.usnews.com/funds/mutual-funds/rankings/large-value
  • What would be LCV recommendations for a taxable account?
  • My old stand-by: MAPOX.
  • not LCV, which was the OP
  • not LCV, which was the OP

...Yes, you're right, I forgot about the bond portion held in MAPOX. And I note (Morningstar) that its plurality of stocks owned has drifted into "mixed" or "core" territory, rather than strictly "value." OK.

• edited January 2018
    Thanks --- now that part is interesting: the growth siren may have gotten too much to ignore even for value shops

I certainly am looking hard at RPG.
  • edited January 2018
    Simon said:

“I have an IRA with T. Rowe Price” - Good. It doesn’t get much better than these guys.

“and have some dry powder ready to buy on the next correction” - Not me. I believe the next “correction” from these levels will more closely resemble a trap door over a rather deep pit (maybe something out of Alice in Wonderland).

I've been waiting an awfully long time” - That’s not your fault. It’s silly season in the equity markets.

“The obvious choice is PRDGX but it has lost a Morningstar” * - Don’t be seduced by the stars. Read the Prospectus and a couple recent annual or semi-annual fund reports to garner the flavor of the fund and how it invests. Always balance out the M* reviews with at least 2 other opinions. I like Lipper and Max Funds.

Suggestions:?

It’s a big fund universe. My own experience is limited to about a dozen families. But you did say you wanted answers based on personal experience.

(1) Dodge and Cox are deep value investors. Low fees. Solid long term performance. However, their flagship DODGX lost over 43% in 2008. (How strong is your stomach?)

(2) OAKBX doesn’t advertise itself as deep value, but in owning it and reading their commentaries for over a decade, I’m convinced it is run like deep value. They bought GM 4-5 years ago when you couldn’t give the stock away (slight exaggeration). It eventually paid off. The nice thing about this fund is it does a pretty good job hedging against steep losses. It lost 16.2% in 2008 - less than half as much as DODGX. I’ll point out that the former is normally classified as a stock fund and the latter a balanced fund. I’m not sure those distinctions mean a whole lot at this point in time. It’s more about your risk appetite and willingness to stick to your investment decisions.

The growth and value labels can be confusing. Sometimes value houses move into traditionally “growth” areas because they find the price attractive. And I suppose it could work the other way around as well.

• @MFO Members: The proof is in the pudding.
    Regards,
    Ted
    YTD: RPG 8.24%
    YTD: RPV 6.04%
    1yr. RPG 33.68%
    1yr. RPV 24.52%
    3yr. RPG 13.03%
    3yr. RPV 12.28%
    5yr. RPG 17.59%
    5yr. RPV 16.16%
    10yr. RPG 13.68%
    10yr. RPV 11.91%
    (Source M*)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Ted - Nice historical returns, although a decade is a pretty short period.

Please do tell where one may go to purchase those returns.
  • edited January 2018
    @hank

>> classified as a stock fund and the latter a balanced fund. I’m not sure those labels mean a whole lot. It’s more about your risk appetite.

?? It's about whether the fund holds bonds+cash, innit?

DODGX holds ~1%, OAKBX over a third.

Growth and value are plenty distinct in most people's minds, I think; just look at p/e and similar measures of FCNTX and TRBCX vs TWEIX and DODGX.
  • edited January 2018
    @davidmoran. Did you think I don’t know that? My point was buy a fund you’re comfortable holding for the long haul.

(Actually, Lipper shows DODGX holding 1% cash.):)
  • tnx for correction

As for your knowledge, was quoting your

>> I’m not sure those labels mean a whole lot.
  • edited January 2018

tnx for correction

As for your knowledge, was quoting your

>> I’m not sure those labels mean a whole lot.

I understand your point @davidmoran. I did rephrase my statement above in an attempt to be more lucid.

Notwithstanding, some funds with a hefty dose of bonds actually manage to compare quite favorably with other more focused equity funds.
  • May be a good time to invest in value, seeing all the capitulations to growth: looking hard at RPG, PRDGX an "obvious" choice within the TRP house, etc.

If you've ever used "mean regression" as a mantra, how does that apply here? I agree with hank that "a decade is a pretty short period".

RPG and RPV go back barely a decade. Using VIVAX and VIGRX instead (going back to 1992), here are their last 10 year cumulative returns, their their previous 10 year cumulative returns, the cumulative returns for those 20 years, and their lifetime cumulative returns (11/2/1992 through 1/22/2018).

last 10 yr:    196.29% (growth) vs. 141.12% (value)
    prev 10 yr:    44.05% (growth) vs.  76.08% (value)
    last 20 yr: ;   326.80% (growth) vs. 324.55% (value) - a virtual dead heat
    lifetime:        983.07% (growth) vs. 991.05% (value) - a virtual dead heat

You can get these figures from M*'s chart here (just tweak the date ranges).

Annualized, the first three are:
    last 10 yr:  11.47% (growth) vs. 9.20% (value)
    prev 10 yr:  3.72% (growth) vs. 5.82% (value)
    last 20 yr:   6.10% (growth) vs. 6.06% (value)

• Yes, am also looking hard at DGRW, wondering about it vs CAPE for placement of some burning cash. Although Malkiel now has me thinking about IEMG and ESGE....

• If you have an account at V'rd, VEIPX is a decent choice.