Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Looking for less volatile Intl fund alternative to OAKIX

I love the OAKIX fund but am somewhat hesitant to buy it with a 49% drawdown in the last down cycle. Any recommendations of international funds with a strong long term track record but smaller downside risk?

Comments

• @Mgconslts: Welcome to MFO ! OAKIX has an excellent long term record, and don't worry about the volatility, this fund is a winner, winner chicken dinner.
    Regards,
    Ted:)
  • @Mgconslts

If it matters to you, its manager is, or was, a bigtime global-warming denialist. Fwiw. Why I bailed.

Also, the value-oriented DLEUX will probably prove less volatile.

FOSFX is worth looking into, I think.
  • ...."international funds with a strong long term track record but smaller downside risk?"
    SFGIX is the favorite here on MFO.
    PRIDX invests in small/mid-caps overseas.
    Look at TBGVX Tweedy Browne, but unless it's changed, it hedges back to the dollar. The dollar is getting beat up, in 2017 and into 2018.
    (I own the first 2 that I just listed.)
  • "[TBGVX] hedges back to the dollar. The dollar is getting beat up, in 2017 and into 2018."

I'm glad you said that. I'm beginning to sound like a broken record when I point out hedging with some funds (posts mentioning VMVFX, FMIJX). Tweedy, Browne does also have an unhedged version, TBCUX.

After Tweedy, Browne spent years saying how wonderful hedging was (that they could focus on what they knew, stock selection), they came out with an unhedged version of their fund. Call me a cynic, but I viewed that as selling out their investing principles for AUM. Consistent with their charging very high ERs.
  • edited January 2018
    You could try pear tree qfvox
  • I own FMIJX. It does not have as long a history as OAKIX, but has much lower volatility and better returns since date of inception.
  • I own ARTKX. It has outperformed OAKIX in the past but trails now. I own it since 2006 and happy with it.
  • ...with a strong long term track record but smaller downside risk?
    Another vote for FMIJX. It certainly meets your stated objective.

• ARTKX and FMIJX (but they're closed)
  • I'd invest in ARTGX and exchange for ARTKX when it reopens.
  • You asked about a good focused fund on another thread. Why not kill two birds with one stone?
  • BrianW said:

I'd invest in ARTGX and exchange for ARTKX when it reopens.

+1.
  • I did some research after posting my response above. Based on M* numbers, ARTKX beat OAKIX over 15 years, 10 years they are even, and OAKIX beat ARTKX over 5, 3 and 1 years. However, over all periods, ARTKX has better Alpha and Sharpe ratios for whatever it is worth. Having said that, both of them are good/great funds in opinion. ARTKX managers were trained/worked at Oakmark with Herro before going on their own with Artisan.
  • @mrc70, regarding the performance comparison of ARTKX vs OAKIX, 2008 to me is very revealing. ARTKX = -30.11 vs OAKIX = -41.06.
  • Are you the same Brian, who used to hold PRGSX? We used to discuss that fund way back when were in FundAlarm.:-)
  • edited January 2018
    I was on FundAlarm but I don't recall discussing PRGSX. I tend to stick with Value funds.
  • Now of course I had to compare ARTGX to PRGSX. No comparison! :-)
  • edited January 2018
    ICMIX holds a lot of cash and is very conservative

Thanks BrianW. Note icmix is a small cap Intl fund
  • ICMIX would be considered a Small Cap fund, in my opinion, and not an alternative for OAKIX.
  • I wouldnt be so concerned with OAKIX's volatility if its a long term holding. What you should be more concerned about is the fact that the fund is concentrated among greater Europe. 78.8% of the fund is in Europe and only 10.4% in Asia. I don't have an opinion on Europe vs. the rest of the developed markets, but that is a significant bet compared to peers in the space.
  • For Asia, MAPIX looks pretty good and its drawdown rate isn't bad. I am considering moving from MACSX to MAPIX.
  • An etf but EFAV might fit the bill.
  • I wouldnt be so concerned with OAKIX's volatility if its a long term holding. What you should be more concerned about is the fact that the fund is concentrated among greater Europe. 78.8% of the fund is in Europe and only 10.4% in Asia. I don't have an opinion on Europe vs. the rest of the developed markets, but that is a significant bet compared to peers in the space.

NORM!
    How about a beer, Mr. Peterson?
    It's a little early, isn't it, Woody?
    What, for a BEER?
    No, for stupid questions.