Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Movie: "Shackleton" (2002)

These exploration adventures are a favorite genre of mine, and it's just plain difficult to fault Kenneth Branagh, anytime.
We all know the story. So the value of the movie depends upon how well it dramatizes what happened. Admittedly, I already WANT to like "Shackleton," and take with me a high regard for Branagh's acting ability before I ever sit down to watch.

There is just enough in here with his wife and kids (and mistress) to matter, and that was a good call. We are at first shown what a harrowing ordeal it can be to find MONEY in order to do what he wants to do. Soon enough, everything goes awry, and it's almost, though not quite, an entirely different story from then onward. I think it's well done.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0272839/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Comments

• edited March 2018
    I recommend the documentary "Shackleton's Frozen Hell," and, of course, the book Endurance.

“For scientific discovery, give me Scott; for speed and efficiency of travel, give me Amundsen; but when you are in a hopeless situation, when you are seeing no way out, get down on your knees and pray for Shackleton”
  • I'm going tomorrow to the library to order those! Thanks.
  • I am a long-time fan(atic) of Shackleton's expedition. Definitely recommend "Shackleton".
    If you can't wait to get the books in hand, Wikipedia has several really well-done articles. Recommend "Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition". And also "http://www.shackletonlegacy.com/the-original-james-caird.html" I find totally fascinating. (Confession -- I have seen the original -- and even committed the sin of reaching out my index finger and actually touching it. I am very careful of that finger now!)
  • icyone said:

I am a long-time fan(atic) of Shackleton's expedition. Definitely recommend "Shackleton".
    If you can't wait to get the books in hand, Wikipedia has several really well-done articles. Recommend "Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition". And also "http://www.shackletonlegacy.com/the-original-james-caird.html" I find totally fascinating. (Confession -- I have seen the original -- and even committed the sin of reaching out my index finger and actually touching it. I am very careful of that finger now!)

I stand in dumbstruck awe of what they went through, and how they came through it all. In a documentary "extra" that came with the film, I learned that 3 of the other party DID perish. They were the ones setting up supply depots along the way. Sad. Amazing intestinal fortitude.
  • I wanted to post a picture I took of Shackleton's headstone, but my skills are evidently not up to the task. Our ship off-loaded crates of Champagne and we gathered at the grave site to raise our glass.

South Georgia Island is a truly amazing place to visit. Related Shackleton info is available here: www.fosgi.org/about-south-georgia/history/shackleton/
  • Hey! THANK YOU. I've traveled a lot, but never south of the equator. Would love to see his grave and pay respects. Appreciate the link.
  • Likewise!

@WhollyTerriers: Thanks for the link! Never realized this organization existed (or that visiting South Georgia was even a possibility). You must be a truly seasoned voyager.

Also, I believe that the Ross Sea Party has been unfairly ignored, probably because there is no single account, several members were lost, and they were "lost" from civilization for for such a long period.