Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

New $100 billion payoff to Stormy... Also new $130,000 China tariffs.... No, wait...

edited April 2018 in Off-Topic
Lemme check these sources and get back here... something doesn't sound quite right...

Comments

• *chuckle*

Fake News!!!! (gods I loathe that term regardless who says it....)
  • @rforno- I'm with you on that. One thing I have to concede... they have the total upper hand on inventing obnoxious and suggestive words and phrases.

• Indeed ..... they have "the best words." *barfs for distace and volume*
    Old_Joe said:

@rforno- I'm with you on that. One thing I have to concede... they have the total upper hand on inventing obnoxious and suggestive words and phrases.

• edited April 2018
    Easy to get the wires crossed these days, ain't it? I get a serious headache trying to follow the back-and-forth across-the-wide-oceans supply & manufacture chains and where a specific tariff nestles in and who it ends up screwing over once the music stops.

This just isn't the good ol' days of Senator Smoot and Rep. Hawley -- even if the effects turn out similar.
  • Well, uncle Donald is unhinged. But that's not news. Not even "fake" news. In the 21st century, I can fly nonstop, coast-to-coast in 6 hours. But we STILL can't manage to get rid of that relic: The Electoral College. Something less than 90,000 votes put him in. But he still received FEWER votes than the other candidate.
    http://worldartsme.com/images/donald-duck-face-clipart-1.jpg
  • AndyJ is right - you got your wires crossed. That message was supposed to have gone to a shoe phone in a secure phone booth (with a false floor) in the basement of a secret government building under a cone of silence.
  • Thanks guys- I appreciate the fact that you interpreted the message as intended.

@davidrmoran: And your point would be??? :)
  • not a secure phonebooth but pruitt's kilobuck room of silence or whatever it is
  • edited April 2018
  • @MFO: Childish thread !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just the kind of crap that drives potential MFO Members away !
    Ted:(
  • Ted said:

@MFO: Childish thread !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just the kind of crap that drives potential MFO Members away !
    Ted:(

+1
  • Investors who call the raising of tariffs from $50B to $150B a "doubling down" may wish to reevaluate their returns.

Here's a book to get them started: The Beardstown Ladies' Common-Sense Investment Guide
    They ran into a bit of scandal in the mid-1990s, when a mathematical error inflated their returns, and they fell out of the public eye. Their books were even pulled from the shelves, though they're still available on Amazon.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/08/beardstown-ladies-talk-trump-and-the-markets.html

But investors should try to find the book somewhere else. Us poor taxpayers are tired of getting ripped off subsidizing cut rate postage.
  • Stop it, @Old_Joe ; no fun or comic relief from the machinations emanating from DC-land will be tolerated at this forum. You may be subject to proper reconditioning of your social demeanor (please read the contract). Your investments, as well as the well being of the political and social fabric of your nation are within tolerance levels. Please move along, as there is nothing here to see.
    Yes, I am still proud of your military service to your country; and it was likely, not in vain.
    Salute !!!
    You, kind sir; are not forcing anyone away from this site. You have my support for levity in these trying times.
    Respectfully,
    Catch

• Why are cars "low margin" while trucks are "high margin"? Do you think it might be because of the 25% import tax on light trucks that the U.S. has charged since 1963? (Google "chicken tax", read Forbes article.) So, U.S. manufacturers can (and do) charge more for trucks because foreign competition is blocked.

But, every law has loopholes. According to Forbes, Ford "started importing small commercial vans from Turkey as passenger vehicles, equipping them with rear seats, seatbelts and windows, then removing this equipment after the vehicles were landed in the United States and reconverting them to commercial vehicles." Because they were "passenger vehicles" when imported, they avoided the tax.

At first, Japanese manufacturers found they could import the entire truck minus the truck bed, add the bed in the U.S. and only pay a 4% duty. It only took 17 years to close that loophole. The Subaru Brat was sold with two tiny rear-facing seats in the truck bed, which made it a "passenger vehicle."

Such a deal, right?
    Or, we could repeal the tax and pay a lot less for trucks.
    Or, we could extend the tax to ALL vehicles, pay a lot more for cars, and auto workers could get a salary raise (maybe).
  • edited April 2018
    catch22 said:

Stop it, @Old_Joe ; no fun or comic relief from the machinations emanating from DC-land. Your investments, as well as the well being of the political and social fabric of your nation are within tolerance levels ...

Well said @Catch22, I actually think his investments should be seized as penalty for his outlandish behavior.
    Than again ... he probably doesn’t really have any!
    -
    EDIT: And while they’re at it, oughta check his residency papers. Being in CA, could well be one of those “subversives” from south of the border. (Might have got out in front of the caravan.)

:)
  • I'm sorry... sniff...:)

• Hey, over at M* I was accused of suffering from so-called 'TDS' (Tr**p Derangement Syndrome, the successor to OBS - Obama Derangement Syndrome) because I dared to politely complain about something the current regime in DC was doing. There's a small group of folks who seem to take great delight in diagnosing 'TDS' at every opportunity over there....which landed them on my ignore list for a while.
    hank said:

catch22 said:

Stop it, @Old_Joe ; no fun or comic relief from the machinations emanating from DC-land. Your investments, as well as the well being of the political and social fabric of your nation are within tolerance levels ...

Well said @Catch22, I actually think his investments should be seized as penalty for his outlandish behavior.
    Than again ... he probably doesn’t really have any!
    -
    EDIT: And while they’re at it, oughta check his residency papers. Being in CA, could well be one of those “subversives” from south of the border. (Might have got out in front of the caravan.)

:)
  • @ MFO Members And to think, I bust my rear end along with others to make this the best mutual fund information board on the web, and this what we get.
    Sad !
    Ted:(:(:(:(
  • Dammit, still can't get it all sorted out right. Beginning to wonder about this batch of medicinal brownies...

@Ted: Sorry for all of the confusion. Evidently not functioning well at the moment. Could you do me a big favor and cover those stories correctly? Thanks much.. OJ
  • Golly, the chat here kinda reminds me of a gathering at the "MFC" (Mutual Fund Cafe) and folks having a chat about what is driving some of their investment choices; all the while likely having some non-heart smart food and a beverage.
  • edited April 2018
    Dear catch... Talking about small food and beverage

https://giphy.com/gifs/scared-donald-trump-bernie-sanders-3o7WTCBePyp2GCamIM
  • johnN said:

Dear catch... Talking about small food and beverage

https://giphy.com/gifs/scared-donald-trump-bernie-sanders-3o7WTCBePyp2GCamIM

What kinda burger? YUGE burger, numbnuts!