Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

FMSDX or VWIAX

I am looking at FMSDX and VWIAX, two Moderately Conservative Allocation funds according to M*, for inclusion in a conservative retirement portfolio.

While FMSDX has a much better 1, 3 and 5 year performance record, it is also somewhat more volatile than VWIAX. On the other hand, if interest rates have supposedly reached their peak, wouldn't VWIAX, with a usually constant duration of around 6.5 compared to FMSDX's duration of 3.0, benefit more when rates start to come down in the future?

In addition, VWIAX is managed by Wellington, a well established and highly regarded management company.

I have a hard time making a decision and would appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thanks.

Comments

• Would it be a sin to buy both?
  • edited May 10
    I hear you, but I try to limit the number of positions in my portfolio.
    Thanks for the suggestion, JD
  • @ Fred495. Pondering the same question. I think you nailed the key differences. My research has shown that the Fidelity product has a broader mandate and may move into areas that might not be what you are looking for. Perhaps greater returns but a bumpier ride. The Wellington management team is deep and experienced,,, what you see is what you get.
  • larryB said:

@ Fred495. Pondering the same question. I think you nailed the key differences. My research has shown that the Fidelity product has a broader mandate and may move into areas that might not be what you are looking for. Perhaps greater returns but a bumpier ride. The Wellington management team is deep and experienced,,, what you see is what you get.

Talking about trying to muddy the waters. I forgot about another moderately conservative allocation fund, PRCFX (T. Rowe Price Cap Apprec and Income), that is brand new but is run by the excellent and experienced manager of PRWCX.

Have you considered this fund in your deliberations?

• FMSDX is a multi-asset fund that holds stocks, bonds and some alternatives. It is riskier than VWIAX. Although classified as conservative-allocation (CA), it is somewhere between CA and MA, taking into account its lower grade bonds.

VWINX / VWIAX is a classic stock-bond CA fund. Stocks are value/dividend oriented and bonds investment-grade. A very simple formula at very low ER. It's so cheap and simple that no one else has bothered copying it.
  • FMSDX is a multi-asset fund that holds stocks, bonds and some alternatives. It is riskier than VWIAX. Although classified as conservative-allocation (CA), it is somewhere between CA and MA, taking into account its lower grade bonds.

VWINX / VWIAX is a classic stock-bond CA fund. Stocks are value/dividend oriented and bonds investment-grade. A very simple formula at very low ER. It's so cheap and simple that no one else has bothered copying it.

Thanks, yogi.
    What bothers me about VWIAX is its poor return over the past three years.
    I forgot about another moderately conservative allocation fund, PRCFX (T. Rowe Price Cap Apprec and Income), that is brand new but is run by the excellent and experienced manager of PRWCX.
    Do you have an opinion about PRCFX?
  • Looking at the portfolio data, a couple of top line figures stand out. (Yogi also commented on much of this; he posted as I was composing.)

M* reports that FMSDX has 45% of its assets in its top ten holdings, but that's misleading. Its top 4 holdings, at 11%, 8.5%, 8.5%, and 8% are Treasuries. Disregarding that, its portfolio doesn't look nearly so concentrated (i.e. closer to VWIAX's 12% of assets in top 10 holding).

Portfolio composition is a different story. While both funds are classified as moderately conservative (meaning similar stock/bond ratios), the Fidelity fund is noticeably more aggressive - as one might infer from its volatility.

Fidelity says that its fund is 41.5% in equities with the rest (excluding 1.35% cash/other) in bonds. Vanguard says its fund is 37.12% in equities with the rest (excluding 1.12% short term reserves) in bonds. Superficially similar, but ...

https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/composition/31638R717
    https://investor.vanguard.com/investment-products/mutual-funds/profile/vwiax#portfolio-composition

Vanguard says that all of its bonds are investment grade (albeit 17% Baa), while Fidelity reports that nearly a third of its bonds are junk bonds. Those typically behave more like equities. In this sense, the Fidelity fund begins to look more like a moderate allocation fund. In fact, M* classified the fund this way in 2021 and 2022.

Wellesley is a traditional hybrid fund, with a large cap value-leaning equity portfolio. FMSDX currently has more of a large blend orientation, though it tends to skew more toward mid caps (even now it is right on the mid/large boundary).

All of these differences help to understand the overall performance differences you're seeing. They're both fine funds and which one you pick would seem to depend on the type of fund you want.
  • I don't have access to PRWCX, so I am using the combo TCAF + PYLD. That mix can be adjusted for PRCFX too, so I am not buying it. But it's a good alternative to VWIAX.
  • edited May 10
    Thank you so much, again, yogi and msf, for your excellent and very helpful comments.
    I am leaning towards PRCFX at this point.

P.S. By the way, I have to say that both of you have a knack for explaining and commenting on topics that are so succinct and informative that I can't help myself reading your posts whether or not they pertain to any of my own issues. It's just a pleasure to read them.
    I really appreciate you guys so much for being so helpful in sharing your extensive knowledge.
  • @Fred495. Yes I have looked at PRCFX. yes, VWIAX has had a disappointing most recent three year but lack of tech and longish duration FI explain that. Part of my search is for one fund my widow will be able to live with. Simplicity. But for me I want to dial up or down the FI portion myself. So I dither the months away with tons of 5% CD’s and 5% mm. My short terms goals are limited (happily) and longer term it’s the portfolio with the fewest parts and lower SD.
  • Seems to me "when interest rates decline", is the question to be answered . Anyone care to answer when that will happen ? I own VWINX & a starter position in PRCFX.
  • edited May 10
    I’ve had 12% of our portfolio in VWIAX for some time, but have paired it back by 1/3. With VWIAX invested in value stocks and intermediate bonds, its performance has lagged for several years.

When I first started investing, I had bought into the large and small value concept that they are the sweet spot of equity investing. This has not been my personal experience these last few years. This may still bare out over time, but my personal timeline is more limited than the market itself.

I’ve slowly been reallocating to more of a total stock market focus. There are so many interesting funds that are available, which I’ve dabbled in over the past few years. But once I’ve purchased a starter position, I ask myself if I’m willing to invest an amount that can make a difference in my total returns, and often the answer is no and I sell that fund. After being an investor in VWIAX for many years, the answer to that question has been shifting.
  • Be mindful of any PM changes.
  • Be mindful of any PM changes.

Do you have a particular fund in mind? VWIAX or FMSDX or PRCFX?

• VWINX has gone through manager changes that were planned & telegraphed.
  • Both OP funds are worthy Conservative Allocation funds but vastly different. We have owned both for long periods of time since 1980 but own neither now, and have likely parted ways with both permanently.

If choosing between the two, we would chose FMSDX as it is a unique fund that provides exposure and style that we do not otherwise get enough of.

VWIAX is pretty much Dead To Me for the time being. Significant underperformance over the past few years that we fortunately missed most of, having dropped it a while ago. Formerly the gold standard for its style, we are currently outperforming it with a combo of OAKMX (for the Value stock side) and a CP CD ladder for the FI side.