Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How a Niche Fund Became the Biggest Active ETF

Barron's recently published an article about JEPI titled How a Niche Fund Became the Biggest Active ETF.

"All in all, J.P. Morgan Premium Equity Income provides an attractive take on the covered-call strategy.
But investors still need to think carefully about whether this have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too strategy really deserves a place in their portfolios."

"Covered-call funds’ yields may be comparable to those of bond funds, but they don’t necessarily offer the same downside protection. In a bear market, the options premium should provide some cushion against losses,
but beyond these, the funds have all the downsides of a stock portfolio."

MSN link to article for those without a Barron's subscription:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/savingandinvesting/how-a-niche-fund-became-the-biggest-active-etf/ar-BB1m0IxK

Comments

• edited May 12
    The JEPI fund managers also run JHEQX which has an inception date of 12/13/2013.
    These two funds are not clones.
    JEPI is "designed to provide current income while maintaining prospects for capital appreciation."
    JHEQX is "designed to provide capital appreciation through a diversified equity portfolio,
    while hedging overall market exposure
    ."
    With that said, here's a Portfolio Visualizer Backtest for JHEQX, RLBGX, VWENX, and VFIAX.
    https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/backtest-portfolio?s=y&sl=5276rWmbK9uD5mgRq56Fhw
  • You did a good job providing evidence of why the SP500 is what most should hold.
  • edited May 12
    FD1000 said:

You did a good job providing evidence of why the SP500 is what most should hold.

Shouldn't an individual investor's circumstances and risk tolerance / risk capacity be considered?
    While S&P 500 index funds are an excellent choice for US large cap exposure,
    high-quality bonds should probably be included in many investor's portfolios for risk reduction.
    I know you primarily invest in bonds and routinely avoid stocks based on prior posts.
    One size does not fit all...
  • JEPI’s precursor is JEPIX
  • edited May 12
    Thanks, BaluBalu!
    Here's the Portfolio Visualizer Backtest with JEPIX replacing JHEQX.
    The time period is relatively short - from Sep 2018 to Apr 2024.
    https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/backtest-portfolio?s=y&sl=5bYshExt5XmyluRKegSyN8
  • I think the hedged equity fund is JHQAX
  • edited May 12
    JPMorgan Hedged Equity Fund
    JHQAX - Share Class A
    JHEQX - Share Class I

I fixed the typo for JHEQX.
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention!
  • Switched in DIVO in place of RLBGX
  • edited May 14
    DIVO fares well against JEPIX and VWENX during this time period.
  • If you are going to trade / use as a market timing tool, I would prefer DIVO (being the better one among the overwrite funds) but if you are going to buy and hold why would you prefer DIVO over SPY or its active variants? I am trying to learn the niche I may need to pay attention to. May be I should direct the Q to @WABAC.
  • @BaluBalu, you may not need to pay attention to it at all.:)

I'm taking it for a spin in the IRA because of it's low standard deviation and low beta.

I'm not sure how long it will stay there. The debt/equity ratio is a little high for my taste. I saw your comments on that in one of the recent threads, and it got me to thinking . . .