Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

(New) Open Thread: What Are You Buying/Selling/Pondering

edited March 2014 in Fund Discussions
After I noticed another of these threads got 1.3K views, I thought I'd start a fresh one.

Comments

• Scott: There's still a chance you might have a future at MFO.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited March 2014
    I did a February 2014 month ending Xray analysis on my portfolio this morning to see how my fund managers might have changed their positioning. I hold a good number of hybrid type funds (about a third) within my fifty two fund portfolio which is divided into twelve sleeves with each sleeve holding between three to six funds with the exception being the two cash sleeves. I wanted to find out how my fund mamagers might have tweaked their fund's assets. I discovered that they had collectively reduced fixed income by (-3%) and alternative type assets by (-1%) and raised their allocation to cash by (+1%) and domestic stocks by (+1%) and foreign stocks by (+2%). Within equities some of the note worthy changes were LCV was decreased and LCG and MCG were increased along with emerging markets which went form 3.8% to 5.6%. This is "partly" due to a little buying I have done in e/m since the first of the year but this only represents a small amount of the increase.

Year-to-date I am up 1.8% while my bogey the Lipper Balanced Index is up 1.6%.

Although I have been doing very little … it seems my fund managers have been active.

Old_Skeet
  • Bought a starter in GPROX yesterday. Fund is closing soon I believe.

Stay warm, Derf
  • In my play money portfolio, closed out QLD for a small profit. Holding EEV and FXP. Recently purchased HYD and URE. Waiting for entry into KBE and/or KRE.
  • edited March 2014
    Pondering why I didn't do a little selling on Friday.
  • Added to GPGOX, sold a bunch of smaller biotech stocks (NLNK, Clvs and Agen)
    early last week.
  • Howdy,

I've got a wee mo play on with silver miners - ASM, MGN and the etf SIL.

rono
  • Hi Scott. Got back into GE after it dropped below $25.
  • edited March 2014
    Bought starter positions in GPROX and RNDLX & added a little to PMHIX. I'm probably a little late getting started on RNDLX, but it still looks like better valuation than high yield right now.
  • Bumped up my GPGOX holdings in an IRA rollover.

I had a placeholder here for when I rolled a 401K into my Schwab IRA account...but wasn't getting a clear signal from Schwab as to my ability to add to this after March 5...even after speaking with multiple VPs.

Took some money from MACSX for this allocation...so, better safe than sorry.
  • Howdy,

Anyone got the sand to play nat gas? Have you been watching the price. Wow. Nose bleed action.

rono
  • Hi Scott

I just began an initial $2,000 allocation to POAGX and GPEOX. I also bought FNMA (Fannie Mae) back in August and added to it in January and February. I own three of the Fairholme funds and added to them as well. FNMA has actually been my best stock so far this year. It's also my biggest question mark going forward because of its political history/future.

Martha
  • Bought TGT last week, basically on weakness and noting good dividend yield. By luck, it jumped up 7% on next day.
  • Used collateral damage from XOM news today to get back into APA. Perhaps lady luck will look more kindly on me this go. Last time I bought APA, it was at $90. It closed today under $80. Can't keep dropping forever, right? (Ha!)
  • @Charles: Ha! is probably right but we don't know for sure. Anyhoo, take the 'P' out of your symbol and buy that instead.
  • But I do. I've been heavy AA since it was under $8. Just goes to show you that even the clueless can get it right sometimes =).
  • I'm pondering the idea that now might be a perfect time to start dollar cost averaging into an emerging markets fund. Safest thought I have there is EEMV.

If I were to start a new position in a domestic equity fund I think I would go with MPGFX.

Boring I know, but that's just the way we like it:)
  • Momentum on EEMV certainly looking good lately...

• edited March 2014
    Of course my favorite "sleep easy" (if there is such a thing) EM fund and fund house is SFGIX / SIGIX at Seafarer:

Here's link to David's proile:http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/2013/03/seafarer-overseas-growth-income-sfgix/

But if you do decide to own it, you'll probably be subject to some "group think" (aka, lemming) criticism on the board. Comes with the territory =).
  • edited March 2014
    Hey, MPGFX is very good, but it has spent time in the barrel (like -55% drawdown in 2009).

Given that you seem to be more risk averse, I like Bretton Fund more and more...BTRNX. Maybe you too should consider.

Here is M* performance plot since inception:

Something tells me that Stephen Dodson will turn out to be for mid caps/all caps what the great Charlie Dreifus (RYSEX) has been for small caps.

And, I trust that as AUM increases, ER will come down...substantially.

Here is David's profile: http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/2013/06/bretton-fund-brtnx/
  • Despite the relatively enthusiastic MFO profile, the M* chart is underwhelming. It lacks the proof of protection against serious losses as in 2008 and it doesn't beat its comparator over LOF. The anointment seems premature.
    I realize one can't automatically punish funds that lacked the opportunity to prove themselves in 2008, but I'd like to see an ER multiple of outperformance against a reasonable comparator. Dodson probably is a nice guy and his family trusts him with their money, but he exceeds his comparators over 3 yr by less than his ER and lags subsequently.
  • @STB65, what is the rationale for using ER as a yardstick for measuring (net) over or under performance? Just trying to understand.
  • edited March 2014
    BRTNX did well protecting against loss in Q3 '11, and it's the only U.S. stock fund I've followed that was positive in Q2 '12, other than health care sector funds. The up-down capture ratio numbers are good ... but not hugely compelling. I'd put AKREX a notch above it for return:risk, but it's still very good by that metric. A fund like BRTNX shouldn't be expected to beat funds that don't do much if any risk avoidance during a very bullish market run.

The M* quantitative rating pretty much has it pegged: Avg+ return, Low risk.
  • edited March 2014
    I'll weigh in here since I think most active funds are over priced.

I compare everybody against D&C, which is only 0.53 for DODGX and 0.65 for DODWX (global). Single share class. No load.

My back goes up at anything over 1%, unless it is long short, hedged, or perhaps EM.

I'm OK with young funds to be higher on low AUM. But, I really want to see that come down as AUM grows.

If I remember, BB capped ER at 1%, even when FAIRX launched.

Reading David, I think he's a bit more fundamental and flexible. He looks to see if the manager adds value, evidenced ultimately by superior returns over long run.
  • Added a new fund to our IRA , VILLX and increased BERIX.
  • Charles said:

I'll weigh in here since I think most active funds are over priced.

Better than active
    http://quote.morningstar.com/fund/chart.aspx?t=BRTNX&region=USA&culture=en-US&statePara={securities:[{n:"Bretton Fund",ids:"F00000J732|0P0000P5VU|CU$$$$$USD|1|1|FO|2010-9-30|||false|USA|16"},{n:"Mid-Cap Blend",ids:"$FOCA$MB$$|$FOCA$MB$$|CU$$$$$USD|1|1|CA||||true|USA|0"},{n:"S&P 500 TR USD",ids:"XIUSA04G92|0P00001MK8|CU$$$$$USD|1|1|XI||||true|USA|0"},{n:"Vanguard Extended Market Index ETF",ids:"FEUSA00037|0P00002DB2|CU$$$$$USD|1|1|FE|2001-12-27|||false|USA|16"}],chartType:"GrowthChart",range:"2010-9-30|2014-3-6",period:9,region:"USA",tc:"USD",isD:"0",isR:"0",rM:3,scale:"1",bMenu:"",sma:"0,0,0"}

I compare everybody against D&C, which is only 0.53 for DODGX and 0.65 for DODWX (global). Single share class. No load.

My back goes up at anything over 1%, unless it is long short, hedged, or perhaps EM.

I'm OK with young funds to be higher on low AUM. But, I really want to see that come down as AUM grows.

If I remember, BB capped ER at 1%, even when FAIRX launched.

Reading David, I think he's a bit more fundamental and flexible. He looks to see if the manager adds value, evidenced ultimately by superior returns over long run.

• edited March 2014
    Added to my emerging market positions this week based upon my thinking good future value might be realized.
  • Used the pullbacks this week to populate my play money portfolio with a hedged country strategy, energy and banking.

Countries aren't all correlated at the moment. I am continuing short position in broad EM (EEV) and China (FXP) until they get stopped out but bought long positions in specific country ETFs - Germany (EWG), Australia (EWA), Hong Kong (EWH) and South Korea (EWY). Taiwan (EWT) is on the shopping list.

In addition, bought positions in Energy (IYE, USO) and Banking (KRE).

Real estate (URE) got stopped out with a profit.
  • @cman. Very cool.
  • Over the last several weeks, I have been slowly selling FAIRX and buying PYSAX (load waived at Schwab), individual dividend paying stocks (TGT, BLK), a little DFE as momentum play. Momentum portfolio continues to hold QQQ, XLV, IWO.