Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What are you ... Buying ... Selling ... or Pondering? (March 2017)

2»

Comments

• I finally DID, after mulling it over, empty-out my TRP RE fund, TRREX (all of which came from TRGRX Global RE, at the New Year,) and I plunked it into my PRIDX. US valuations are rich, and RE is not the place to be right now; also, in a recent conversation here, it was observed that as long as my fund managers have RE covered, then I don't really need a dedicated RE fund, in addition. So, I pulled the trigger. And so PRIDX doubled in size, in my portfolio, to 6.51% of total.
  • These are funds I'm looking to buy. Feels like I will never be able to pull the trigger the way the market is going. Like I said I will be patient because it is important to buy fund at right point so one can then truly hold it for long periods - just like they tell you in magazine articles in hindsight.

If I could buy a smattering of each, I would do right away like I did for some funds at TIAA. However buying normal minimum of each is plonking a bit too much money so for right now any profits I am taking I'm redistributing in my existing other funds.

So my list, and some of these are not necessarily risky, but I just don't think they are needed in this market. I'm also mentioning brokerage where I intend to buy

Vanguard
    BVAOX, GAVAX, BULLX

Merrill
    WHGIX

Fido
    WSBFX

Schwab
    LCORX (in taxable already have in IRA, and bought $100 just in case)

Direct
    BRUFX, TILDX, BRTNX

TIAA
    GTSOX, GAIFX

Scottrade/TD
    BTBFX, PUBDX (in IRA), FMIJX (in IRA, sneaked in with $100)
  • Interesting list, VF. WSBFX is intriguing for sure. Never heard of it before.
  • Over the past few weeks:

Bought back into GLFOX after a long absence (low vol, great record, kind of a unique take on infrastructure, mostly foreign, doing well with the rotation into utes);

Adding slowly to MAVRX, Asia value equity; sold MINDX (India) too soon;

Substantially reduced large positions in the AQR equity long-short/mkt neutral fraternal twins;

Bought a tiny bit of PASDX - the stopped-clock "tactical" fund that's been in its one sweet spot recently;

Winnowed down cef's to Pimco multisectors only; and

Continuing to add to HY munis (PHMIX, MMHAX) - may stop now to see what happens next.
  • I have some PASDX in my 401K the institutional version.

MAVRX I want to buy with all the talk about "emerging markets value" doing well, stated by Seafarer. However I'm observing behavior of MAVRX against MACSX and MAPIX and see no reason right now to buy it. I will keep observing.

In any case, I'm simply not seeing overweighting EM until dollar deteriorates meaningfully. I am seeing substantial adverse co-relation. I feel more comfortable going with global/allocation funds and that's where I'm focusing right now - increasing my allotment to such funds in my existing portfolios.
  • @VintageFreak, not sure if you're thinking of MAVRX as an EM fund, but it's more of a Pacific fund, only ~ 20% EM, mostly China. It's seriously overweight S. Korea. MEASX is my fave Matthews fund, but it did a moonshot earlier and is coming back down to Earth. I'll prob'ly move the MAVRX $ back to MEASX at some point.
  • Hi VintageFreak,

Here's my take on your funds:
    .....the good.....
    BTBFX - FMIJX - GAIFX - BRUFX - BRTNX.

.....the bad.....
    GAVAX - WHGIX - WSBFX - LCORX - So, what would I do? VWINX - and sleep well.

BVAOX - use DISSX.
    BULLX - use PARWX.
    GTSOX - too expensive.....look again.

.....the ugly......
    Just me.....just saying. And Duke says he ain't ugly.
    God bless
    the Pudd
  • @The Pudd

WSBFX and BTBFX is practically the "Same" fund. One of them claims to be "socially responsible" version of the other.

VWELX I already got, not sure I need VWINX

Looking for go anywhere managers with BVAOX and not looking for small cap fund, so not sure DISSX compares.

BULLX, again is go anywhere and capital preservation is a mandate. PARWX is from Parnassus, the company that holds Wells Fargo. Pass.

GTSOX is expensive? 0.85% ER. Please do tell alternative option.
  • Puddnhead said:

Hi VintageFreak,

Here's my take on your funds:
    .....the good.....
    BTBFX - FMIJX - GAIFX - BRUFX - BRTNX.

.....the bad.....
    GAVAX - WHGIX - WSBFX - LCORX - So, what would I do? VWINX - and sleep well.

BVAOX - use DISSX.
    BULLX - use PARWX.
    GTSOX - too expensive.....look again.

.....the ugly......
    Just me.....just saying. And Duke says he ain't ugly.
    God bless
    the Pudd

Definitely do not agree with all of your views but some interesting ideas nonetheless.
  • .....the good..........the bad.....
    .....the ugly......
    and this my friends, IM<HO, is the biggest drawback of owning many funds trying to do similar work in a portfolio. The more funds you have, the likelihood of owning a higher percentage of ugly is much more likely, and confusing.
  • Hi @MikeM,

Another perspective.

Sometimes, I have found it pays to buy when they look ugly. Currently, TEQIX, a five star fund, is out of step with the other two funds held within its sleeve CAIBX and TIBAX; however, I have not kicked it to the curb but have added to it in belief its time will again come. With this, since it is now lagging the other two sleeve members they have provided support and continued to move the sleeve forward.

Take care ...

Old_Skeet

• Hi VintageFreak,

https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/summary/111328100

https://fidelity.com/fund-screener/compare.shtml#!&fIds=BVAOX%2CDISSX&tab=pf

Going to have some moving parts, so I hope this works. On Fidelity, BVAOX is listed small blend. Granted, not an index (see strategy on the page and similar funds).
    I'm going more toward indexes .... they're cheaper and hard to beat. VWELX - agreed would not own VWINX. But I would add more to VWELX and skip the rest. You already own a winner---look at fees and returns. You have the best already. I forgot you don't like Wells Fargo. GTSOX ... my bad. I was looking at other funds and thought I remembered the ER....oops!....bad me! One too many longnecks. Love your post with all the funds you list----always enjoy looking them up.

God bless
    the Pudd
  • AndyJ said:

Over the past few weeks:

Bought back into GLFOX after a long absence (low vol, great record, kind of a unique take on infrastructure, mostly foreign, doing well with the rotation into utes)

Interested in GLFOX too, but thinking I may be late to the party on that one. It's had quite a run up.