Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Neil Armstrong dead at 82 - Where were you?

edited August 2012 in Off-Topic
http://touch.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-71959518/

Maybe the only one here (except for the youngsters) who didn't see the first steps live. Was 20-something and working as a counselor at a YMCA summer camp in Michigan. No electricity in our cabins. My charge was a group of boys - maybe 10 years old - & we had to be bunked down by a certain time at night. One lousy TV in main lodge - which closed around 9 PM - if recall correctly. (However, did get to listen to the momentous event on a transistor radio!)

Comments

• I wasn't born yet at the time he set foot on the moon.
  • I was a junior at the Univ of Michigan and watched it in awe.
  • Way down yonder, in Viet Nam.

Sgt Rono
  • Right there with you, water-skiing somewhere on the Mekong.
  • I won an all expenses paid trip to SV. Left Ft.Sill Okla. There we had all new hardware. Ended up in a Place called Long Xuyen on the beautiful Mekong. Our hardware there dated back to Korea and WWII. What a bummer run 1 day repair 2 days typical. Probably saw Mark water-skiing. Had been in country about 7 months when I listened to the landing on AFVN radio wondered about the validity of a lot of their broadcasts. Another story..

Gary
  • This is an odd one: my brother and I and our respective wives were having lunch at the restaurant (The River's Edge) in Lambertville NJ operated by Anne Elstner, who had played Stella Dallas in the long-running radio soap opera of the same name. When we learned, in mid-meal, that the spacecraft was about to land on the moon, we asked whether a television was available, whereupon she ushered us graciously into her private quarters. We watched the report of the landing, thanked her, and then raced home in time to see Neil Armstrong take the first steps on the moon.
  • My parents were getting married that day.
  • I wasn't born...and I mean that from both the Democratic and Republican perspective...if you get my gist.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited August 2012
    I was on the moon with him but out of view.

But seriously isn't there a quote "If you can remember the 60's you weren't really there"
  • Reply to @Accipiter: Love that quote. This is one of the events I remember. Must have been during one of my more lucid moments.
  • Howdy,

I still love the untrue urban legend about Mr. Gorsky. It went that after landing on the moon Armstrong said in one of his broadcasts, 'Good luck, Mr. Gorsky'. Folks of course wondered who was Mr. G? A russian? Armstrong would never say until later in life when apparently, Mr. G. died. The story was then that when growing up, he had to chase a baseball near his neighbors window and overheard Mrs. G. tell Mr. G. that she would give him oral sex when the boy next door walked on the moon.

Untrue, but a delightful urban legend.

peace,

rono
  • edited August 2012
    Mo mentioned B&W TV - that's what most still had. Color was new & expensive. We didn't own one for another 10 years. These guys flew to the moon with what we'd consider horse & buggy tech. Average person didn't own a simple calculator. PC's & cell phones unheard of. An amazing time to experience. The lunar landings (6 I think) took the edge off some really ugly stuff. Loss of JFK, RFK, MLK to assassins. Race riots in cities like Detroit. And LBJ's little police action over there that escalated & eventually tore nation apart. Salute to those who served honorably. Those from the period who were lucid enough may recall the great artists & music. ---

Good morning starshine. The Earth says hello ... (from "Hair", 1967)
  • way back hat and telstar

now if this doesn't stir you up - ain't nothin' gonna help.

peace,

rono
  • Reply to @Accipiter: But seriously isn't there a quote "If you can remember the 60's you weren't really there"

Ah, therein lies the rub. I have been trying to figure out just where I was. I thought I was there to see it because I was a space junkie.

I know where I was in March:
    http://www.deltastate.edu/pages/1073.asp?item=5933
    "On March 10, 1969, a group of 52 students staged a sit-in demonstration in front of the Delta State’s President’s Office to protest the disregard of a list of demand previously presented to the administration. The students were arrested and imprisoned for the night at Parchman State Penitentiary. The next day, they were returned to the Bolivar County Court House where they were released on $200 bonds."

I know where I was late August:
    http://www.bestofneworleans.com/gambit/new-orleans-know-it-all/Content?oid=1251286
    "Think Bethel, N.Y., mid-August 1969, Woodstock Music Festival, but on a smaller scale. The New Orleans Pop Festival was a Frank Andrews Production that took place within weeks of Woodstock, over the Labor Day weekend. Aug. 30, 31 and Sept. 1 brought crowds to the Louisiana International Speedway, an oval-shaped race track in Prairieville, on the outskirts of Baton Rouge."

I know where I was in September - moved to the west coast.

I know I either saw the walk or a rerun soon after. I just don't know where I happened to be at that particular moment.
  • edited August 2012
    Reply to @Anna:

Parchman Farm (eh) - John Mayall and the Blues Breakers
  • edited August 2012
    Howdy Accipiter,
    Would have enjoyed being a watching bird in Laurel Canyon with John Mayall and the others, in 1969, for the next 10 years.
    What stories could be told........and some have.
    Take care,
    Catch
  • edited August 2012
    Howdy Archaic,
    .........Lambertville NJ............was there a very small restaurant there named the Hoagie Shop or Hop ??? Any recall of such a name? Regardless, a wonderful hoagie menu existed at a small restaurant in that town in the early1970's.
    Take care,
    Catch