Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Vanguard GNMA (VFIIX) or Fidelity GNMA (FGMNX) eeny meeny miny mo....

edited September 2012 in Fund Discussions
One of these funds would be part of my bond portfolio. Both funds are highly rated, and have performed similarly. The main difference seems to be the expense ratio: Vanguard, .21% vs. Fidelity, .45%. The question is this: would there be any reason to consider the Fidelity fund? I do have my account with Fido, so there wouldn't be any transaction fee. Other than that, I can't see any reason to pick the Fido fund, can you?

Comments

• edited September 2012
    Hi SoupKitchen. Don't recall seeing your handle before - good to have you here & posting. The conventional wisdom - and I believe the correct one here - is that with fixed income funds (all other things being equal) you're better off with the lower ER. Because fixed income funds generally return so much less to begin with (compared with eqiities) and also because there isn't that much a manager can do to gain an advantage in return over a similar fund, the ER really translates into money out of your pocket. And even small amounts compounded out over 10, 20, 30 years can make a big difference. Haven't looked at Vangard's GNMA in about 10 years, but it was a darned good fund back than and I'd guess it still is today. So, even if the two funds appear to be "neck & neck" in returns recently, over the longer run the Vanguard fund should have an edge. My concern would be with putting much (if any) $$ into bond funds at the present time. But that's a judgment call and others - including Catch 22 - might wish to elaborate on reasons for doing so. (I keep little in domestic investment grade bond funds now due to historically low yields.)

Advantages of having a larger balance at a single fund house include (1) Some houses waive "maintenance fees" on IRAs or other accounts in return for maintaining a minimum balance with them, (2) simplified record keeping, and (3) ease of moving $$ among their various cash, bond, and equity funds - should that be important to you. Beyond those concerns, if if's a tax-sheltered account, you need to check with the plan sponsor and/or IRS regarding your ability to change custodians and any tax consequences that could arise.

• Hi Soupkitchen,

First, I agree with hank; that given near equal fund types, to gain the value of the lower ER to your benefit.

Two questions about this bond area. Do you have other bond funds that already have exposure to this area; and what is the purpose you desire to achieve with GNMA/mortgage type funds?

We hold numerous managed bond funds and do have a few that are more focused: TIPs, emerging market and high yield/income; while one bond fund is more slanted towards the mortage area.....OPBYX.

Our list are these:

---High Yield/High Income Bond funds
    FAGIX Fid Capital & Income
    SPHIX Fid High Income
    FHIIX.LW Fed High Income
    DIHYX TransAmerica HY

---Total Bond funds
    FTBFX Fid Total
    PTTRX Pimco Total

---Investment Grade Bonds
    ACITX Amer. Cent. TIPS Bond
    DGCIX Delaware Corp. Bd
    FBNDX Fid Invest Grade
    FINPX Fidelity TIPS Bond
    OPBYX Oppenheimer Core Bond

---Global/Diversified Bonds
    FSICX Fid Strategic Income
    FNMIX Fid New Markets
    DPFFX Delaware Diversified
    LSBDX Loomis Sayles
    PONDX Pimco Income fund (steroid version)
    PLDDX Pimco Low Duration (domestic/foreign)

---Speciality Funds (sectors or mixed allocation)
    FRIFX Fidelity Real Estate Income (bond/equity mix)

No bond expert here; but we do keep a keen eye to this area, at this time.

I'll check back tomorrow, as 6 a.m. will be here too soon.

Regards,
    Catch

• I've been investing (monthly DCA) in Vanguard's GNMA fund since December 2008, and have been very happy with it. Fidelity's GNMA fund is also excellent, but I decided on Vanguard since I already had a number of other Vanguard funds (mostly index funds), and because the expense ratio was lower. Over the long haul, the Vanguard fund has slightly but steadily outperformed the Fidelity fund. Over the short haul (2008-present) the Fidelity fund has actually slightly outperformed the Vanguard fund.
  • Consider the transaction fee when comparing the expense ratios. Fidelity is a rather steep $75 for the Vanguard fund. Not a big deal if you're investing 50k (in which case you'd be looking at the even cheaper Admiral version from Vanguard). But could amount to an extra .8% if you're investing the 3k minimum and plan to hold for three years.

I personally would lean towards the Fidelity fund, it has slightly better performance across all 1, 3, 5, and 10 year periods and currently has a shorter duration (though Vanguard is pretty short as well). Both funds have performed very similarly, not much of a difference if you chart them against each other on Morningstar.
  • Thanks everybody for your suggestions. Catch, I don't hold any bond funds yet, only allocation funds, (Oakmark Equity Income (OAKBX), Vanguard Wellesley (Vwinx), FPA Crescent (FPACX), James Balanced (GLRBX), Pimco All Asset (PASDX) and Permanent Portfolio. I am almost 54 and have some cash that I would like to start earning some income for retirement. I was thinking in a short term bond fund, intermediate term, Gnma, and Global and/or Municipal, putting 25% in each. The Gnma fund is supposedly a low risk option. I don't want bond funds with a lot of volatility, since I also own stock funds and individual stocks.
  • edited September 2012
    Hi Soupkitchen,

The two funds you mentioned have been steady for income production.
    Reportedly, if the Fed. Reserve continues or expands the bond purchasing program; mortgage security issues would be part of this area and could get a postive bump in pricing.
    Have you considered a "total type" bond fund that would include many other bond sectors?
    Some total bond funds are noted as intermediate term; but there are many flavors.
    Will your new monies be in tax sheltered accounts (IRA, etc.)?
    Fidelity has some decent muni bond funds; but these may be more appropriate for a taxable account.

Regards,
    Catch