Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How do mutual funds determine their NAV at the close of each business day?

Greetings to all on this board. Have been away for several years as a result of family issues. But glad to "be back".

Have a question re determination of mutual fund ["MF"] NAVs. (Assume 100% stock portfolio.)

I believe that I read (somewhere, this board? - unsure - ) that MFs determine their daily NAV by using (more or less):

1. * Prior * day's holdings; and
2. * Current * day's close-of-business stock prices;

And determine the aggregate value for Current day close by multiplying Prior day holdings x Current-day's-close prices to determine [*] aggregate holdings.

Or to put it another way, for #1, above, the MF does NOT use Current day's holdings. They use Prior, instead (for operational reasons.)

Does anyone have direct experience or knowledge to confirm what is actually done for MF? Thank you. - Vegomatic

[*] And possibly some adjustments to account for change in total assets, maybe, between Prior day and Current day.

Comments

• Regarding a fund's holdings, it looks like you're referring to 17 CFR § 270.2a-4(a)(2)
    https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-17/part-270/section-270.2a-4#p-270.2a-4(a)(2)
    Changes in holdings of portfolio securities shall be reflected no later than in the first calculation on the first business day following the trade date.
    Emphasis added.

With respect to the price used, it isn't necessarily the current day's closing price. For example, some funds price more than once daily. The Fidelity sector funds used to price hourly, and several Rydex funds (owned by Guggenheim) still price twice daily.

https://www.planadviser.com/print-page/?url=https://www.planadviser.com/rydex-expands-offering-of-twice-a-day-fund-pricing/&cid=39311

The 10:45 AM price on a Tuesday couldn't be based on Tuesday's close because that's in the future. And if it were based on the prior close, that would be tantamount to letting investors trade on stale prices (see 2003 mutual fund trading scandal for why this is verboten).

Typically funds pick "market close" as the time to value their shares, but it can be any fixed time. See 17 CFR § 270.22c-1(b)(1).
    The current net asset value of any such security shall be computed no less frequently than once daily, Monday through Friday, at the specific time or times during the day that the board of directors of the investment company sets, in accordance with paragraph (d) of this section
    https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-17/part-270/section-270.22c-1#p-270.22c-1(b)(1)
  • I was a Mutual Fund accountant many, many moons ago. Worked for a few different firms. They would price all securities using a feed just after the stock market's daily close (4PM ET). For any equities that moved > 5% from prior day close, you had to confirm that closing price at a Bloomberg terminal on-site.

For any bonds that were thinly traded, you could call down to a specific trading desk.

The holdings were adjusted for that day's trades that were made by the Portfolio Manager.

It was all very rushed and hectic, but maybe now it's more streamlined. At one point I handled an Intl Equities fund, and I received trades from London location via a Fax machine. It was less than ideal.

I have some stories, but they are boring. Or just better not to know.
  • JD_co said:

I was a Mutual Fund accountant many, many moons ago. Worked for a few different firms. They would price all securities using a feed just after the stock market's daily close (4PM ET). For any equities that moved > 5% from prior day close, you had to confirm that closing price at a Bloomberg terminal on-site.

For any bonds that were thinly traded, you could call down to a specific trading desk.

The holdings were adjusted for that day's trades that were made by the Portfolio Manager.

It was all very rushed and hectic, but maybe now it's more streamlined. At one point I handled an Intl Equities fund, and I received trades from London location via a Fax machine. It was less than ideal.

I have some stories, but they are boring. Or just better not to know.

I love old fax machine stories. Did you have to call their fax from your fax and coordinate placing the phones into the cups at the same time?
  • edited February 20

I love old fax machine stories. Did you have to call their fax from your fax and coordinate placing the phones into the cups at the same time?
    I am not familiar with that "cup" process. Or maybe you are joking. But I had to dial in a specific code to have the fax print out the cache.

The early 1990's seem very, very distant now. We were changing over from green colored Accounting Ledger pads to clunky computer terminals with very limited capabilities. It might as well have been the Dark Ages.

The words "NAV error" were not something you ever wanted to hear as a MF Accountant, or be associated with. But it happens a lot, trust me - especially with funds that held derivatives.

• No. Not joking. They ran at 300 baud. Even wikipedia doesn't have a picture of them.

When I first started at the company we were still using a specialized Cardex filing system to keep track of some data. One day the boss walked in and said "Why are we still doing this when we have dBase III?"

I also ran a BBS for tech-sabe folks that knew how to handle the files we made available.

Yeah. It was the dark ages. I remember being excited about getting an amber monitor.

• edited February 20
    I guess if you can remember dot matrix printers, you are considered old. And LOTUS 1-2-3. Fortran & Basic. Commodore 64s and Sinclair computers.

Amazingly, Mutual funds predate all that good stuff. The first open-end MF with redeemable shares was created in 1924. No Reuters pricing feeds back then.
  • “I don't know what the language of the year 2000 will look like, but I know it will be called Fortran.” —Tony Hoare, winner of the 1980 Turing Award, in 1982.

Scientific computing’s future: Can any coding language top a 1950s behemoth?
    https://arstechnica.com/science/2014/05/scientific-computings-future-can-any-coding-language-top-a-1950s-behemoth/

That's from just 10 years ago. You don't have to be old to be familiar with Fortran. You just have to be in the right field of work.
  • Thank you (especially! msf) for responses.