Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

December 2012 update

Dear friends,

We'll be posting the site update in the next ten minutes, just fyi.

I think it's a fairly cool, fairly rich collection of stuff including a review of RiverNorth Dynamic Buy-Write. I still can't quite explain exactly what the manager does, even after two hours of conversation. I am, however, pretty intrigued.

Beyond that, an Artisan profile, a poke at Fido, a review of November conference call, a preview of our December one and teasers for January, February, and March. Had I mentioned cool pictures?

Hope you enjoy!

David

Comments

• edited December 2012
    Just outstanding David.

Very much enjoy December post. Rich with content.

PIMCO is so utterly impressive. Funny though how Real Retirement or Retirement Target funds never seem to inspire much.

Glad to see note about Redleaf's Whitebox. If it helps, Schwab offers institutional customers (eg., 401k) no load entry, with lowest fee, $2500 basic, or $1000 IRA minimums.

Glad too to see note about interesting Bretton Fund.

Will look forward to discussion with Andrew Foster of SeaFarer, as well as with Matt Moran and Dan Johnson of ASTON River Road.

Hey, in addition to looking at long-short alternatives, you might look into risk-parity approach, which Aness' shop AQR seems to be executing quite well with AQRIX, for example. I like how they seek multiple markets, daily, based on pre-defined volatility level.

Not sure I like idea of sister sites, but I'm getting old. Are you sure? Seems we are just now starting to achieve critical mass. Perhaps we could bulk-up a bit, grow our AUM, before expanding...

In any case, thanks again for doing what you do and all the best during the holiday season.

PS. I'm heavy RNSIX, which is proxy to being heavy Gundlach. Let's trust that if he can forecast the impending instability in traditional fixed income holdings, he can manage us through it.
  • Excellent issue!

The newsletter link to the River Road conference call is broken.

I'd like to attend the call. I've spent a while with Moran, and it is an intriguing story. They have obviously thought long and hard about this corner of the business and seem committed to learning from everybody they can find that's tried this or related approaches. They seem appropriately focused on both the risk and reward sides of the problem. I'd like to see more track record of the long managers in the firm - and that's part of the conundrum of new funds!

• edited December 2012

Gundlach says, “I don’t believe you’re going to get some sort of an early warning. You should be moving now.”

“We’ve largely given up on traditional fixed income,” Inker says, including government and corporate debt in the same condemnation. They don’t have any great alternatives (high quality US stocks are about the best option), but would prefer to keep billions in cash to the alternatives.

I don’t know whether you should wait. But I do believe that you should acquaint yourself with those who didn’t.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At last report Scout Unconstrained Bond Fund (SUBFX) was over half in cash.

http://www.scoutfunds.com/stellent/groups/public/documents/web_content/029258.pdf

It is unsettling that successful managers with strong track records of navigating modern credit markets perceive and seek to avoid excessive risks that aren't being appropriately weighted by most including me.

Adhering to the quaint allocation rule of thumb age-related stocks/bonds with the fixed income allocation bearing at least some relationship to age...where exactly does one allocate the majority of assets if _not_ fixed income. Into the guaranteed inflation-adjusted loss in cash/cash equivalents or, insult to injury, have notable bond fund managers hold the cash for you at a 1% fee.

What continues to amaze in these central bank managed/engineered credit markets is the shocking amount of interest in none.
  • Reply to @Tcbdavison:

The link is fixed. I'm sorry for the goof.
  • David, thank you for your time and efforts with the monthly commentary; and all of the "behind the scene" work. Your clock must have a 36 hour/day rotation. I have one heck of a time plugging a few hours a day into the investment side of life.
    Take care of you and yours,
    Catch
  • edited December 2012
    Reply to @chip: The link goes to the recording of the RPHYX conference call (from September) instead of the RLSFX call.
  • Reply to @claimui:

That link is fixed now, too. I'm so sorry.
  • edited December 2012
    David, you have been very busy this past month. Thank you very much for ARTHX write-up which I requested a while back. I personally invested in since then and had good results so far.
  • Reply to @chip: Works great now. No worries, your hard work is much appreciated!
  • Reply to @Investor: Investor, just curious, since I've been considering ARTHX too ... are you keeping both FMIJX and ARTHX, or did you sell FMIJX? There's not a lot of holdings overlap, but I think of the "global footprint" strategy as roughly the same, and I'd need to sell a fund to have a meaningful position in any new fund. TIA, AJ
  • edited December 2012
    At this stage, I keep both ARTHX and FMIJX as well as my old position at ARTKX. In addition, I've got token positions in GPGOX and GPIOX.

However, recently incremental monies went to ARTHX. Yet, by largest positions are in ARTKX and FMIJX.
  • edited December 2012
    Thanks for the update. We're thinking a lot alike; ARTKX is my largest foreign diversified holding, and I've also been thinking about opening a starter position in GPGOX.