Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Mailed Tax Return is Lost or Stolen

I mailed in my state tax return four weeks ago. The State Tax Department has no record of it and told me to resubmit it.

However, my main concern is that if the return was stolen some of my personal data, such as Social Security No. and checking account number, for example, could be compromised.

I would be curious if anyone has experienced a similar situation and what preventive measures, if any, they took.

Appreciate your advice and/or comments.

Thanks,

Fred

Comments

• Hi Fred. When we mailed tax returns we always used certified mail and request receipt (forms at Post Office and attached to the envelope), U.S. postal system, for tracking. 'Course, the 1st class mail can't guarantee deliver, as with any 1st class mail being lost for any reason, but allows to track the envelope.
    Understanding that this situation is still of great concern for you.
    The 'good' part for you is that your state tax department seems to understand and is giving you the benefit of doubt.
    Hoping all of this is resolved without further problems.
  • I assume you mean post office mailing (?) I haven't snail-mailed a tax form in over 10 years so I'm no help. I guess it could be debated whether electronic filing is more or less safe, but I trust electronic filing more than the post office, myself. My local pick up and delivery post office has screwed up plenty in the past.
  • Fred. I forgot to ask. Did you drop your envelope at a post office or pick up by the mail carrier at your street address outside mailbox???
  • edited April 22
    I prefer “old school” paper method. Easier to spot and correct errors or omissions before sending when doing it myself rather than emailing it in. Always pay for certified mail. Attach mail receipt to copy of tax documents. Sorry to hear of issue.
  • In the past, we mailed in the paper copies with certified mail. One thing we learned that paper copies returns have to be manually entered into their systems for verified. Sometimes human errors can occurred. Additionally, this slows down the return process that it takes up to 3 months for us.

Today we submitted ours electronically via TurboTax for both security and speed. IRS acknowledged immediately upon arrival (several minutes after submission). After the returns have been reviewed and accepted in “good order”, we get another notification. Tax returns notification would show up a week or two later.
  • edited April 22
    I guess if it was mailed at a PO or even an authorized USPS drop box there’s not a lot to worry about. Just be vigalant. I assume a lot of my personal info (like SS #) is out there anyway. Honestly, I can’t ever remember of something being lost in the mail. Usually, the problem is an error on the receiving end.

We have a rural mailbox along a road. Never a problem..But, yes, mailing something from that type of location raises the possibility of theft.. I’m guessing this will all work out fine. Just be vigilant in monitoring all your accounts.
  • edited April 22
    Thanks for all your informative replies.

I have been mailing my state tax returns by USPS First Class Mail for the past 50 or 60 years without any problems. I go to my local Post Office and the clerk gives me a receipt that shows the city and Zip Code of the destination.

Today, I called H&R Block and was told that if I want to use their software, I cannot electronically file my state tax return without first electronically filing my federal return. Since I e-filed my federal return weeks ago using the IRS' free software, my only option is to once again use the mail route. I haven't talked to TurboTax yet, but probably they also use the same setup.

This time, however, I hope I will have better luck using either FedEx or UPS or USPS certified mail when I resubmit my return. Since I am expecting a refund, a late filing penalty should not be an issue.

Thanks, again.

Fred
  • What a pain in the butt, @fred495. Sorry you had to deal with all that. After doing it ourselves for close to 45 years, we've been having our taxes done by a local financial office for the past 6 years. Even though I hate paying the bill for their service, I hate more dealing with tax forms. Next year we may try the free service AARP has for seniors.