Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

My employers list of mutual fund offerings - can you help me select some?

edited March 2013 in Fund Discussions
Below is a list of the funds I can select from in my 401k. I have had all my monies in the Pimco bond fund which has been great but realize it may not be such a good idea nowadays. Knowing I am 60 and plan on retiring in 6 years, can you recommend a blend of the funds below knowing I want to be fairly conservative. There are also Fidelity blended funds (2015, 2020 etc.) but they don't look like such good performers.

I also have rollover IRA in Pimco PTTRX but have been thinking of putting it in the TRowePrice 2020 plan as it looks like a pretty good fund and will save me a lot of work.

Thanks in advance!

AF FUNDAMNTL INVS R4
MAINSTAY LG CAP GR I
MFS VALUE R4
VANGUARD INST INDEX

Mid-Cap
MSIF MID CAP GRTH I
RDGWTH MID CAP VAL I
SPTN EXT MKT IDX ADV

Small Cap
DREY/BC SM CAP VAL I
PRU/J SMALL CO Z
VANG SM CAP IDX SIG

International
FID DIVERSIFD INTL K
HARBOR INTL INST
OPP DEVELOPING MKT Y
SPTN INTL INDEX ADV

Income
PIM TOTAL RT INST

Comments

• edited March 2013
    I think I would go with all the index funds but after that the more important question is what proportion of each fund would be appropriate. The "book" answer would be ,especially since you are clearly conservative something like , 60% in pimco total return, 25% in the vanguard index 500, and 5% each in the international, midcap and small cap indices.
    If you want to keep it much simpler 60% pimco total return and 40% inst index is less diversified but probably will work out fine.
    I am given to understand that in general TRP target retirement funds are superior to those of Fidelity but I would suggest that If you pick a TRP fund in your rollover IRA that you might be better off with the 2010 or even the 2005 fund as the asset allocation would be more in line with your risk tolerance. For any given age TRP is less conservative than Fidelity or Vanguard target retirement funds.
  • edited March 2013
    @jerry:
    If you pick a TRP fund in your rollover IRA that you might be better off with the 2010 or even the 2005 fund as the asset allocation would be more in line with your risk tolerance.
    2005, 2010 and income fund have all now converged. at the end of 2015, TD2015's asset allocation will converge with them as well....that's how the glidepath works.

Otherwise, i agree with the majority in PTTRX and indexing. i would however, have a few % points in OPP DEVELOP MKTS Y. very good fund and not easy to get to outside of retirement accounts.
  • beebee
    edited March 2013
    Hey Daves,

I started thinking about retirement about age 35 and though I have personally retired from my "career" I haven't retired as far as the government (IRS) is concerned (age 59.5). You mentioned you are 6 years from your "personal retirement", but as far as the IRS is concerned, you have reached "distribution age" (59.5). At age 70 (4 years after your personal retirement) you will be faced with RMD (Required Minimum Distribution). Be prepared for this fact. If you have been diligent with your IRA funding over the years give some thought to other uses for your labor.Take some time and run some numbers and decide if you are better off deferring money ( investing in your employer's IRA) at age 60 when 10 years later it will be impactd by RMD (4 years after retirement).

If I were age 60 I would rather spend the next 6 years maxing out my Roth as a primary goal which faces no RMD. If your employer matches any IRA contributions then, by all means, take advantage of that.

At sixty you might consider devoting some resources to Long Term Care Insurance or creating and funding a retirement lifestyle account. For example, I used taxable income that I did not invest in an IRA to buy a condo in Florida that is 2 miles to the beach. It sold for 1/5 what it was selling for in 2008. That has more long term value that stocks and bonds in my estimation.

My retirement funds will pay for my daily needs (makes sure yours will), but I needed cash to make the purchase of the condo. Never underestimate the value of cash. The stock and bond market (mutual funds) is not the only place where value can be found.

Good Luck!
  • First, I would narrow things down further, getting an answer to the question: which of these can I get with no up-front load? Or it may be that because it is a retirement 401k vehicle, the funds that would otherwise charge an up-front load simply do NOT, in this case.

My brother has 401k money in this one (Mainstay) which looks like just a different class of shares than the one you listed, above. http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/mlabx/f?pgid=hetopquote&t=mlabx

...3 stars at Morningstar, and a Bronze decoration. Not horrible. I am 58, retired early, wife works. I'm 50/50 bonds/stocks. That's how I've got my stuff situated, and heavily overweight in global/international funds. I am aware that others would tell you that such a strategy is not prudent.

I tend to like VALUE over growth, and I see an MFS VALUE "R4" (?) fund listed above, but cannot tell you anything about it. And Harbor International looks good. It has a good LONG-term reputation. I dunno how well it's doing lately.
  • Daves,

For me, your request just raises a lot of questions.

Since you’re looking for a conservative mix of funds, I’m guessing
    that you have already saved 8 to 9 times your current family salary and
    have very little or no debt.
    If not, why select a conservation selection of funds?

I see these “help me pick” questions quite often but seldom do I see
    someone explain their investment plan.
    What is your plan for the next 6 years … and then beyond?
    Will you still be comfortable retiring at 66 if you have zero returns
    before retirement?
    What are your plans if the market declines and your portfolio drops
    20 or 30% over the next 6 years?
    What is your plan if the market drops 20%, 30%, or more in your first
    year of retirement?

If you’ve already accumulated nearly enough to retire on, the selection of funds
    is less important than have a well-constructed long-term investment plan.
    Pick an equal mix of stock and bond index funds. Then follow your plan.