Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Matthews starts two (2) new funds

Comments

• thanks max. Both funds available at schwab and 2500 minimum. I took small nibble on both being impressed with mapix and macsx.
  • Thanks for the heads up, Max. Matthews Funds have been very good to me. Will need to study these, but will likely take an initial stake in each.
  • That's nice but neither of these are for me. While I'll continue to hold their Asia Dividend and Small Company funds these new offerings don't appear to be an improvement or significant add-on to what they already do in that region. It's possible that they fill some institutional investors wishlist or needs but I really don't see the need for them.
  • I was thinking that some of us might like to "get in on the ground floor." I'm holding three Matthews funds already, myself, and honestly do think that adding any more would be like the 5th wheel on a car. But yes, Matthews has made me lots of money. The only big negative is that they use BNY/Mellon as their pass-through agent. Is that the proper terminology? Um, Bank of New York/Mellon sucks fleas off of dead and rotting armadillos....And guess what? Just lately, I've been informed that the organization I retired from is outsourcing the payment of our pension checks to BNY/Mellon. Wonderful.
  • edited May 2013
    I'm seriously conflicted.

At one point I held MACSX and MAPIX, then dropped MAPIX for SFGIX. I have a long term position in MAPTX. I am also in GPGOX. And...happy as a clam with all of them and my decisions.

With Matthews and Grandeur Peak introducing new offerings, I am thinking I should just observe. I really see no reason to jump in.

It appears that EM is no longer cutting edge enough...are frontier markets the new EM?
  • beebee
    edited May 2013
    Reply to @PRESSmUP:
    WAFMX, which is Africa-centric (frontier market) has definitely done well since it opened a little over a year ago. Here it is charted against the conservative MAPIX:

• I love WAFMX, I invested in it from the very beginning since I expected it to continue what WAEMX started. But of course 27% of it is invested in Nigeria and Kenya, so who knows how it will behave if/when something happens there. Matthews and Grandeur Peak may provide some tools for diversifying the bets beyond what worked a year ago, when WAFMX was born. I am not an expert here, it would be great to research the new funds beyond these general considerations.
  • Right before you guys posted about WAFMX I had just been looking at some of its drawdown percentages (or actually lack thereof) since last June's bottom. I was going to post some comments tomorrow about its amazing trend persistency.

If I were a Matthews fan I would jump all over their new emerging frontier fund although I prefer the diversity of WAFMX. But you could get the new fund effect there. I still may post about WAFMX tomorrow and a couple other things as it will be my last post until 2014. It's time for a posting sabbactical.
  • Dear Hiyield007,

Please do not stop posting: I found your posts very profitable:) But then of course sabbatical is a great thing, which I am looking for:)

Andrei
  • I might consider the new frontier fund at Matthews if I didn't already own TRAMX. Since I bought it late last August, it's up 13% for me, in just 8 months. I'll stick with it. TRAMX is Africa/Middle East, heavy in:
    -South Africa
    -Nigeria
    -Saudi Arabia
    -United Arab Emirates
    also:
    -Kuwait
    -Qatar
    -Oman, and even G.B. (?) Great Britain? Go figure...
    (Source: Portfolio page at M*)
  • To HiYield007: Shane! Come back, Shane! SHANE!!!!
  • Now, looking again, I recall why I did not choose WAFMX: 2.25% ER.
  • edited May 2013
    This is one example when 2.25% would be well spent: WAMFX outperforms TRAMX significantly. Of course this may be just a temporary effect, beginner's luck.
  • Reply to @andrei:
    27% of it is invested in Nigeria and Kenya
    I wonder how Laura Geritz does it (so well in risk management). Nigeria is one country not for the fainted heart.