Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Exchange within fund family taxable event?

edited July 2011 in Off-Topic
Got a notice from the friendly folks at the IRS that I owe $18000+ in taxes, penalties and interest for 2009. I performed an exchange from Oakmark E&I to Qakmark Global and now the IRS wants me to pay tax on the entire amount transferred! The IRS says I since I did not provide a cost basis they are considering the entire amount as taxable. I filed electronically and downloaded tax info and unfortunately, the TurboTax file is now corrupted and won't open and as luck would have it I did not print or save an pdf file at the time (foolish I know). I am pretty sure that an exchange between funds is not taxable since the proceeds are not paid to me. Am I wrong? I requested a hardcopy of my 1099B and it clearly states "Exchange to Global I" under box 7. I figure this is adequate proof and plan to submit the 1099B and contest the taxes, etc. Anyone have experience with this?

Comments

• edited July 2011
    Exhange between different share classes of the same fund is generally not considered taxable but when you exchange between different funds, it sure is (considered a sale and a new purchase) and your case is the latter.

Find out your cost basis on OAKBX and you can reduce that $18000 bill but you will probably will pay penalties. I would consider hiring a tax attorney.
  • Additionally, not knowing what tax software program vendor you used; is a copy of your tax forms stored at that vendors web site? You noted that you E filed, and so the question.

Regards,
    Catch
  • TurboTax and nope, they don't keep a copy of the forms. I was able to order a transcript of the return from the IRS to assist me in creating and filing an amended return, but it will take 10 days to get to me. I have been gathering info on my cost basis, but its kind of complicated. The withdrawals I made from the funds all had a cost basis recorded on the hardcopy so I was able to accurately report the taxes (or loss) on the return. That is money in my pocket so it makes sense its income. I have dealt primarily in IRA & 401-k accounts where tax reporting is not an issue and I figured I did not have income from a exchange of mutual funds, so I deleted the entry. Bad mistake, I'm sure the IRS thinks I intentionally underreported income. Fact is, I might actually show a loss from the time I acquired the fund. That will probably really piss them off.
  • IRS: Need a Copy of Your Tax Return Information? They'll send you a transcript that "shows most of the line items from your tax return ... as it was originally filed, including any accompanying forms and schedules." Best part - it's free.

If your state has income taxes, you'll likely need to file an amended return with them as well.
  • Do I have this right?
    You do not have a hard copy of your return?
    Going green is fine for some things but important stuff like $$$.
  • I ordered the free transcript, the actual copy of the return and attachements is $57 and takes weeks. Yup, I will have to file an amended state form as well. Double the fun!