Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Lululemon Yoga-Pants Make A Comeback After Recall

Comments

• Things I will never understand, among other things: 1. The popularity of Lululemon. 2: The popularity of Chipotle.
  • edited November 2013
    Reply to @scott: Lululemon appeals to the upper-middle and upper class who need to look great in fashionable high-priced stretchy clothes when they attend their 3-5x per week Yoga and Pilates classes in affluent or trendy neighborhoods.

Supposedly the design and materials give that hip and a$$ hugging snug tight wear but yet breathable and makes women feel great. Great marketing by Lululemon to capitalize on that. They're also super stylish so that they look and wear great and also very stylish and so women feel great walking their little ones to pre-school and getting back into their Lexus SUV and exceptionally stylish enough to hang out a bit with friends at a busy & trendy Starbucks after their Yoga/Pilates classes --- and doesn't give the look that you just came from a sweaty workout at the YMCA after dragging yourself to get out of bed.

That's just an example of why Lululemon has been appealing despite their high prices - did great with marketing style & perception.

• edited November 2013
    Reply to @Kenster1_GlobalValue: I'm not going to complain about chicks in yoga pants. It's just this "getting back into their Lexus SUV and exceptionally stylish enough to hang out a bit with friends at a busy & trendy Starbucks after their Yoga/Pilates classes" sort of trendy BS nonsense ("You're not really doing yoga if you're doing yoga in pants that aren't Lululemon") that is depressing. In a few years there will be a Lululime that everyone will go nuts for. It's just another escalator up, elevator down trend and retail investors are often the ones left holding the no longer trendy bag. I'd rather invest in American Express, which they probably use to buy both the trendy crap and the latte at Starbucks and the gas for their Lexus.
  • Reply to @scott: People thought the same thing too about North Face a few years ago as just another short-term name-brand high-priced fad but it has really done well over numerous years. They continue to get exceptional reviews despite being pricey --- hell, in fact I wear them too as they've been great so far for the Midwest weather. :)

• I'm with Scott... women in yoga pants are to be encouraged. The recent controversy about those same pants being too sheer, well.

About Chipotle...it's pretty simple. I love hard shell tacos. It's either Chipotle or Taco Bell.
    Easy choice. Good ingredients, well prepared in a pleasant environment.

Don't confuse the concept of a good company/product with a good stock to own. I think both companies you mentioned have a good (or desirable) product.