Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Some markets have come back a little but there is talk of another drop in the near future. I would favor a dollar cost average strategy with a set target to lump sum money in.
  • edited February 2014
  • Josh Brown/Reformed Broker
    New Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen spoke to congress today for the first time. The Wall Street Journal’s Jon Hilsenrath plucked out this bit from her prepared remarks re: the tremors in emerging markets as stimulus winds down:
    FED DOESN’T ACCEPT BLAME FOR LATEST EMERGING MARKET SELLOFF

http://www.thereformedbroker.com/2014/02/11/yellen-to-emerging-markets-drop-dead/
  • Reply to @TSP_Transfer: I would partially agree on that. The slowdown of China's economy is the bigger issue.
  • edited February 2014
    Reply to @JohnChisum: Not relevant to this discussion but a look @ the future.
    Ownership of other countries’ land and resources is a thorny political subject in Africa, Ukraine or anywhere else. But China is uncompromising in trying to secure the needs of 1.3 billion people, and this is a trend we will hear more and more of in years ahead.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/chriswright/2014/02/11/when-chinas-food-runs-out/
  • Reply to @TSP_Transfer: Thanks for that link. Spot on. A lot to think about with China building up their military and imposing their will on smaller nations in the region. This is not the time to go for the so-called peace dividend in the US. The pivot towards Asia militarily is welcome to keep China from being more of a bully than they are.
  • Reply to @JohnChisum: China has been pretty tame. No need for us to become the Asian police force.

China peacefully let the British have Hong Kong for 100 years before getting it back. Macau was in a similar situation - in sort of an out of an out of China's hands scenario and did China bully or retaliate during these times?

China invented gunpowder (black powder) but did they try to take that to the next step in trying to dominate the world with advanced weapons at that time using their invention? There was no interest in their part to do that. They tried using it for guns/cannons/explosives to defend against the Mongols who invaded and attacked China with success.

China also never took it to the next level where they could've further developed the use of gunpowder with more advanced weaponry and build a powerful world dominating military power and conqueror - but they didn't. They have been conquered in the past by the Mongols and invaded by the Japanese killing thousands of Chinese.

So it's ok that the US takes control of land such as Hawaii but a problem if China tries to claim what they believe is theirs - and furthermore why don't we stay out of these disputes.

Matthews Asia a while back wrote a nice piece about this very topic.

• Reply to @Kenster1_GlobalValue: I was thinking of recent acts like the banning of fishing in disputed waters except for Chinese vessels of course. That and the recent closure of airspace which has forced foreign airlines to change their routes.

The end of China dominance in the region may or may not be achieved with war but I think it will be automation and robots which will make offshoring work a mute point.

I did read that Matthews piece. A good read indeed.