Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

New ETF Launches Today! Cambria Global Value (GVAL)

edited March 2014 in Fund Discussions
Here is link to site:

Cambria Global Value (GVAL)

GVAL Fact Sheet

At first glance, I notice this one seems direct with Cambria with a 0.69% er, whereas flagship Cambria Global Tactical (GTAA) through Advisor Shares suffers from a 1.59% er.

GTAA has underperformed since its inception Nov 2010.

Shareholder Yield (SYLD), on the other hand, launched last year, appears to be off to good start. It too is run directly by Cambria and has a low er at 0.59%. Maybe it should be the new flagship? Here is M* performance plot:

Comments

• edited March 2014
    Great book, like his website/blog, but not really interested in another Cambria fund after GTAA. And I wasn't expecting the world from GTAA either, especially given its multi-asset flexibility. I just think that - like a lot of managed futures/trend following mutual funds - it's just not nimble enough and seemed to consistently be whipped around (wrongly positioned, then it gets to a point where the fund finally changes and it's wrongly positioned again.)

To me, the whole trend following/managed futures strategy is best left to hedge funds.
  • It'll be interesting to follow how well GVAL does though. It's an intriguing fund as it hits the deeply deeply valued stocks around the world including Italy, Spain, Greece, Portugal, Russia, etc. and so these are some of the top 10 country holdings so far.

• By Thanksgiving Day, I'm sure GVAL will become a turkey.
    Regards,
    Ted