Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Prudential Jennison mutual funds

I'm a relative beginner in investing and have learned much about mutual funds and ETFs through the members in MFO. One fund company that have I seen more in my own research is Prudential Jennison. Can anyone tell me what has been there experience in general with this family of funds? I saw their Health Sciences fund PHLAX and PHSZX, though they are closed to new investors. Also, I have not found any of the "supermarket" brokerage firms that offer their A class load-waived or their Z class to individual investors. Any help and direction would be much appreciated.

Comments

• The reason why you can't find this fund offered through any brokerage is that the fund is closed. Before investing in any security, it is advisable to read the prospectus, so that you know more about what you're investing in.

Scottrade seems to offer Z-class shares of Prudential Jennison funds with low minimums. For example, you can get their Utilities fund PRUZX (which is a pretty good fund) at Scottrade with just a $100 minimum.
    http://research.scottrade.com/qnr/Public/MutualFunds/Summary?symbol=PRUZX
  • @learningcurve, I have PHSZX, got in through my financial advisor at Merrill Lynch. Some funds are closed but still available through these channels. It is a solid fund. If you cannot find a way in, might I suggest FBIOX for biotech exposure and pair it with the etf PJP for pure pharma exposure. I own all three, with less overlap than you would think. PHSZX has biotech, pharma, medical devices and medical service companies. Another option would be to look at PRHSX at Trow Price, it would be similar PHSZX.
  • Thank you for pointing out the PRUZX utilities fund and the advice on alternative healthcare funds. Is it fair to say that their Z class shares (no load class) are more likely to be offered at financial advisors than at the "supermarket" brokerages?
  • edited November 2014
    I also have PHSZX. It has Potential Cap Gains Exposure 46.80%, and this year it will distribute some part of it. Historically it was a small fund, but success attracted investors, it closed and yet more than doubled in size since that time, so it is hard to say how good it will be in the future. Probably good since it has the same experienced manager for 15 years, but I do not want to add to it at this stage.
  • Thank you for pointing out the PRUZX utilities fund and the advice on alternative healthcare funds. Is it fair to say that their Z class shares (no load class) are more likely to be offered at financial advisors than at the "supermarket" brokerages?

I suppose for Prudential the answer is yes (regardless of whether the fund is open or closed) - but that doesn't mean you'll get any bargain.

What Prudential writes about its class Z shares is: Class Z shares are available to individual investors through certain retirement and wrap fee programs, and to institutions at an investment minimum of $5,000,000.

Usually, if you work with an advisor, you're paying for the advice (whether you get/use it or not). That payment could be in the form of loads and commissions, or a percentage of assets you've got invested through that advisor (a "wrap fee" acccount), or some other arrangement.