Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited December 2014
    Many funds have lagged this year. I've lagged as well. Suspect the 50% tumble in oil and hit to producers has a lot to do with it. Some funds like OAKBX like to hedge overall equity risk with positions in energy. Can go either way - but in 2014 that really hurt.

Those with oracle-like powers may wish to offer a prediction here. On December 1, 2015, will the price of WTI be closer to: (1) $40 (2) $60 (3) $80 ?

* It's nice to see David get the recognition. He always makes a great deal of sense to me.
  • Call me stupid - I don't get it - What is bad about getting a Long Term Capital Gains Distribution LTCGD or for that matter a short term one?

I see evaluating a funds performance against the benchmark - that is a separate issue.

I understand the tax issues.

I understand the offsetting mentioned in the article.

But what is wrong with getting $ (unless the fund you bought goal was to minimize LT & ST distributions).
  • edited December 2014
    Dex, you're not getting any $ you didn't already have - it was priced into the NAV. Beyond being a convenient way to take out $ for retirement expenses or something similar, cgd's are a tax event only. In a tax-advantaged account, they're a non-event unless you need or want to take the $ out of that particular fund.
  • hank said:

Those with oracle-like powers may wish to offer a prediction here. On December 1, 2015, will the price of WTI be closer to: (1) $40 (2) $60 (3) $80 ?

* It's nice to see David get the recognition. He always makes a great deal of sense to me.

• AndyJ said:

Dex, you're not getting any $ you didn't already have - it was priced into the NAV. Beyond being a convenient way to take out $ for retirement expenses or something similar, cgd's are a tax event only. In a tax-advantaged account, they're a non-event unless you need or want to take the $ out of that particular fund.

So, the bad part is that in a non tax advantage account it can be taxed? But, according to the article, funds are required by law to distribute them. I don't see how it is the fund's fault.
    Thanks for the reply.

• edited December 2014
    Dex: "I don't see how it is the fund's fault."

Right - I don't see that either. It means the fund made money. Only way I can think of that a particular fund manager could be faulted is if the fund's got a ridiculous level of turnover or the manager committed some obvious screwup in managing its investors' tax exposure.
  • Thanks - I just checked HYD - I own. Last year total distribution 23¢ this year 14¢ no Capital gains distribution. I wish I got them this year!

• Response to Hank:

My bet is that oil (price of WTI per barrel) will be between $70 to $80 by end of 2015. That is why I think buying into energy stocks that are not highly leveraged and energy & midstream MLP ETFs at this time is a winning investment strategy for 2015, with a small but well-defined downside and significant upside.
  • @Dex and @AndyJ,

Yes distributions are a wash except that you end up with more shares after everything is settled. Those shares are a part of the miracle of compounding we hear about. You won't see the benefit right away but over time it does add up.
  • edited December 2014
    John, you're not putting new money into the fund with a reinvestment of a cg distribution. You have exactly the same investment you had before, except that you've picked up early tax liability for some of the fund's gains.

Compounding as I've always understood it is putting new money, a little at a time, into an investment. That isn't the case with cg distributions. It is the case with, for example, daily accrual bond funds; each month you're getting an income dividend - new money - that you can use to buy more shares if you choose.
  • "John, you're not putting new money into the fund with a reinvestment of a cg distribution. You have exactly the same investment you had before, except that you've picked up early tax liability for some of the fund's gains. "

Agree, but I am talking about after the fact. Money wise, it's a wash but you end up with more shares. As time goes on those added shares help to grow the investment. Granted, you need to hold the fund or investment for a period of time.

A mythical example; Say If you bought 100 shares of a fund and never bought another share, and that fund declares distributions regularly. After 10-15 or so years you end up with 120 shares. While you did not make money on those distributions, those extra 20 shares are working for you, hopefully in your favor.