Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

VWINX/VWIAX VG Wellesley Income Fund Portfolio Allocation, Over Time [2010 - 2015]?

Does anyone have the stock/bond split of Vanguard's Wellesley Income Fund over - say - the last 5 (or more?) years?

(I thought I could get this from the Morningstar PDF's - I have Premium access - but the PDF appears to be missing.)

Reason: I am playing around with "synthetic" Wellesley Fund construction/performance, using Vanguard's VEIPX for stock portfolio, and bond-fund-to-be-figured-out-later for the bond portfolio.

Thanks - in advance.

Example: Looking for answer like this:

2010: 30% stock, 70% bond [or whatever]
2011: xx% stock, xx% bond [etc...]
2015: xx% stock, xx% bond

Comments

• I hope this will help as I found the equity allocation: 2015 (36%) ... 2014 (37%) ... 2013 (38%) ... 2012 (37%) ... & 2011 (36%). From this, I am thinking the bond allocation will be about 60% plus or minus a couple of percent and cash will most likely be the residual.
  • It's my take that they keep it pretty much 60/40. So why not just buy VWINX?
    Although, IMHO, I would not at this time.
    I like VEIPX, and VDIGX. As well respected as Vanguard is, I can't see buying anything with bonds in it. Keep cash or very short term stuff. Hey, maybe we'll go back to the late 70's when I used to go down to the bank and get 14% CD's...LOL. The problem then was I didn't have the wits to buy up good stocks that absolutely nobody wanted with that kind of immediate cash in their eyeballs.
  • It's basically almost static 60/40.
  • edited August 2015
    Thank you Old Skeet, hawkmountain and WallStreetRanter!

A picture IS worth a thousand words.....

I DO own VWINX.

But "suppose" I wanted to sell a portion of what I own, and maintain a similar exposure for probably a short period of time (if VWINX was essentially flat), or possibly longer (if it performed well in the short-term)....

I needed the portfolio allocations to "confirm" that the "synthetic" VWINX would have performed similarly (using a rear-view mirror to drive forward.)

Of course, the interesting thing about WallStreet's picture is HOW steady VWINX's allocation WAS - particularly through 2008/2009, for example - when we know that the value of it's equities dropped precipitously.... ;^)

Thanks again to all.
  • edited August 2015
    So - and one shouldn't be too dogmatic about this - based on current portfolio, and keeping it simple....
    37% VEIPX @ 29bps  Equity Income Fund  [Also VEIRX]
    50% VFIDX @ 10bps Intermed Term Investment Grade Fund [Also VFICX]
    13% VBTLX @ 7bps Total Bond Market Fund [Also VBMFX]
    = BLEND @ 17bps
    Would - more or less - appear to resemble VWINX with respect to rating and issuer, based on M* and VG info sources, using a mix of Vanguard Investor and Admiral class funds.

Finally, the expense ratio is just 1 bp below that of the Wellesley Admiral share class.

NOTE:
    Above Investor and Admiral share class choices reflect dollar amounts that I anticipate for specific situation. Your mileage, as they say, could vary.

Also, "rebalance monitoring" - roughly - should be relatively easy. Whenever the VFIDX/VFICX varies significantly from 50%, time to do it.
    Comments/thoughts? Thanks.
  • beebee
    edited August 2015
    What are you expecting to gain from owning and managing (at least the reallocation decisions) with this "comparative blend set of funds" verses just owning VWINX?
  • edited August 2015
    bee: Good question. Self education, entertainment, and tax management.