Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

GPGOX Vs. RIVFX

edited February 2012 in Fund Discussions
Looking for global small cap exposure and willing to pay a higher expense ratio if it is deserved. I currently have RIVFX, but have been concerned with Royce's willingness to let their "small" cap funds accrue assets in excess of $5 billion. I am thinking of jumping into GPGOX due to the fact that the managers have historically closed their funds before they get too big thus warranting the higher exp ratio. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated, especially from Royce lovers.

Comments

• There is some excellent commentary about GPGOX in the February Commentary linked on a tab on the homepage.
  • edited February 2012
    Hard to say for me because I own both.

But I believe Royce does close the funds somewhat early if they are concentrated funds such as what they did in the past with RYSEX well below $5B. Some of their funds that have grown large have like 300 stocks in them.

RIVFX is somewhat or moderately concentrated and so I don't expect them to let it grow really huge. I'm also not worried because assets haven't been pouring in like gang-busters --- so i don't see a capacity issue for a long-time.

I also like the country distributions of both funds.
  • I agree with what you are saying for the most part, but two funds in particular give me pause....RPFFX and RYVPX.

RPFFX is a more concentrated "best ideas" fund that did not close until it was close to 6 billion (the second time if I remember correctly).

RYVPX started out as a much more concentrated version of its former self that had a much smaller market cap than it does now and had incredible returns. Now it seems to struggle to beat its index and has moved over a billion or more up the market cap ladder. I owned RYVPX until it crested 2.5 billion in assets.

It does look like the flow of money into RIVFX will not be as aggessive as the previous two...mainly due to expense ratio reasons and mandate (in my opinion), but if this fund takes off like it did a few years ago then I am not sure if Royce will turn off the spout.

It was pretty unfortunate what happened to RYVPX.
  • You should also take a look at WAGOX. Bought it couple of years back and have been happy with it. I know about the manager movement to GPGOX, but Wasatch is a good shop for small-cap. I just wish their expenses were a bit lower.
  • I have owned WAGOX in the past, but sold it when the managers left, and sort of got the jist that Wasatch was going to let this fund grow larger than their other small cap funds. I do agree that Wasatch is a fine small cap shop, but I felt like this fund was probably going to gravitate to more of an all cap global fund with a focus on small-mid caps. Additionally the managers of GPGOX have repeatedly hinted that they are not going to let GPGOX get too big to where their is even the hint that size is affecting their strategy. I have no problem paying more for small cap funds as long as managements closes them before they get too big. Plus, GPGOX is still cheaper.
  • edited February 2012
    The Grandeur Peaks President & COO, Eric Huefner, is easy to correspond with. He has answered my emails and they are generally very excited and enthused about their new firm and global investing opportunities.

I had posted this before and here's a response by Eric to my inquiry about their team and exposure/handling of EM investing....

One of the key reasons for leaving Wasatch to start our own firm was to be able to structure our research team with global analysts who would truly be analyzing and comparing companies from all corners of the world. At Wasatch, Blake and Robert were traveling to Emerging Markets and investing in Emerging Markets. You are correct that there were other members of the Wasatch international team also searching those markets for interesting opportunities, and Robert and Blake shared ideas back and forth with those team members.

At Grandeur Peak, we are exploring emerging markets in a very similar fashion, and again expect that they will comprise a meaningful section of the portfolios. On the Grandeur Peak team we have four additional analysts beyond Robert and Blake to help cover the world. In specific reference to Emerging Markets:

• Amy Sunderland, is first a global analyst on Consumer and Healthcare companies, but she spends much of the year in Hong Kong, is originally from China, speaks Mandarin, and is a secondary analyst on China/Asia for us
    • Randy Pearce is first our Financials analyst for the entire world, but secondarily he has lived in Brazil, speaks Portuguese, and is a secondary analyst on Latin America for us. He just returned from a week in Brazil with Amy Sunderland last month.
    • Spence Stewart is our newest analyst and speaks French and Spanish. He has already spent a week in Korea, and is on his way to South Africa later this month.
    • Rob Green is our Quantitative Analysts and manages our rigorous screening process through which we will screen over 30,000 companies around the world every year in search of what we believe are some of the best companies and investments. These screens include both emerging and frontier markets.

Searching the world is certainly a lot of ground for us to cover. We aggressively built out a 6-person research team before even launching our funds because we believe having the right research team is the single most important element to our success. We have an experienced and energized team. To effectiveky cover the world, It will be critical for us to follow our disciplined screening process, and then you’ll find our team on the road a lot. In time we hope to expand the team by a few more members, but Robert and Blake feel really good about the initial team we have in place.

• Reply to @Kenster1_GlobalValue: Sounds like a very promising fund.
  • Reply to @Heathbob: As with all funds, I will keep an eye on performance and the primary reason I have it my portfolio (global small-cap exposure). If that changes, I will switch funds, but not before. GPGOX performance so far is almost identical to WAGOX.

For large caps, I have Oakmark Global and First Eagle.
  • I hope the team my best but I am slow to decide where to put my money. I like the "SHOW ME" approach and will take at least 1-2 years before I can be somewhat comfortable. After all, I will be 78 in 2 months and have no earned income.
  • edited February 2012
    Reply to @Heathbob: RYVPX tanked because Royce changed managers. Whitney George, one of Royce's stars who was recently promoted to Co-CIO and Managing Director, used to run RYVPX in its better days. Royce pulled its usual bait and switch and put Skinner in charge (to wit, George was also running RYOTX, among other funds, except he wasn't, apparently, for when Royce handed the reigns to RYOTX over to Jennifer Taylor, they rationalized it by saying she'd pretty much been in charge all along; as a shareholder, though, you'd have never have known that).

Anyway, as to RYVPX; I used to own it. The fund has not done well. I sold it when I had a gain on it, and went into RYSEX. Check your latest annual report from Royce, toward the back you can track redemption/additions figures. Folks have been leaving RYVPX in droves. Not that it was easy to benchmark because, like most Royce funds, it can have (and has had) a significant international stake (yet Royce continues to peg its performance to the Russell 2000, etc.).

The culture at Royce has changed greatly since Chuck sold out to Legg Mason. M* is still in the tank for them, though.
  • Reply to @Shostakovich: I know what you are saying about the Legg Mason issue, but I would say that RYVPX started to become mediocre even before Royce made the official change to skinner......and the portfolio was much more sprawling by that point too. Anyway, thanks for the info and I will check the report.
  • Hi Heathbob,

Instead of a Royce, Grandeur Peak, or Wasatch global SC/MC fund -- all of which are very expensive -- I suggest that you consider combining VSS (0.33% ER) with a domestic SC fund like HSCSX (1.18% ER, AUM $226M). Equal parts of these funds would give you the following M* portfolio x-ray:

LC: 0/0/0
    MC: 14/16/14
    SC 23/22/10,

with an overall ER of 0.76% and an average market cap of $1.2B.

Kevin
  • I wonder whether there is any reason to prefer GPGOX as compared to GPIOX? If there is any truth in the GMO 7-Year Asset Class Return Forecasts, for the next 7 years US small cap stocks will have an average yearly return -0.5% (their projection as of Dec. 31, 2011). Meanwhile international small cap stocks are expected to return 5% per year, in average, and emerging markets will do even better. If this is the case, then GPIOX is going to be a much better investment than GPGOX.