Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Q & A With Bill Smead, Manager, Smead Value Fund (SMVLX)

Comments

• Very good interview. I liked the manager's perspective.
  • Thank you, Ted. This one could be a contender. According to the M* X-Ray (Premium access), BRK.B is the only stock SMVLX shares with RWGFX yet both of these more focused portfolios are doing really well. Good find. Rick
  • edited September 2012
    Mr. Snowball, request profile of this fund. Significant manager ownership a plus in my book, always.

One thing I don't understand though. How it got 5-stars. Chart does not imply that all compared to benchmark.

• Reply to @VintageFreak: David Snowball may easily miss your request unless he happens to actually read this particular topic. If you want to get his attention I suggest that you start a new thread and put his name right up there in the title.

That sort of thing is perfectly acceptable, from a procedural perspective. If you choose to do that, you can either repost your chart in the new thread, or include a link back to this post if you prefer. (I'm sorry but the exact procedure for doing that will not be available in the user guide until the next revision.)

A work-around would be to simply note the title of this post in the new post, and ask David to check it out. If he has the time, he surely will.
  • Reply to @Old_Joe: Better yet you can send a message to him directly via his profile @David_Snowball. Look towards upper left. "Send David_Snowball a message"
  • Reply to @Investor: Yes, I forgot about that- thanks.
  • Actually I'm glad I didn't send Mr. Snowball a message. My research tells me Mr. Smead just made a case - assuming it is valid - for buying Vanguard Large Cap Index. I don't see any reason to buy SMVLX. He seems to be just playing boom/bust.