Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Goldman's latest call -- this time is different

Goldman Sachs says this tech stock rally is grounded in reality
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/goldman-sachs-says-this-tech-stock-rally-is-grounded-in-reality-9ee03ea6

David Kostin, in a note to clients, says companies that have an enterprise value-to-sales ratio of at least 10 account for 24% of the total U.S. stock market cap, versus 28% in 2021 and 35% in the late 90s tech bubble.
Kostin notes the number of stocks with those elevated valuation ratios has declined very sharply. “Unlike the broad-based ‘growth at any cost’ in 2021, investors are mostly paying high valuations for the largest growth stocks in the index. This dynamic more closely resembles the Tech Bubble than 2021. However, in contrast with the late ’90s, we believe the valuation of the Magnificent 7 is currently supported by their fundamentals

(he also says the cost of capital is lower now, which is good for stocks)

... that said, my reading is that they're essentially saying "this time is different" -- which often are the 4 most dangerous words in investing & finance. And this being a prognostication by Goldman, my continuing reaction is to 'fade' such advice if I want to preserve capital and/or make money for ME.

My own sense? There's a bullish euphoria starting to build in the markets/financialp0rn punditry -- FOMO is keeping stocks elevated these days and my sense* is that this run doesn't go on too much longer before consolidation. IMO, the only thing that will goose stocks significantly higher is if/when rates come down and the purported trillions in cash and cash-like assets move back into equities. But Valuation? WCoC? Not going to do it by itself.

* somewhat more accurate than a 'Magic Eight Ball'

Comments

• My own investing sensibilities are plagued by the same nagging doubts and I too find myself fading advice from GS. My finger is not hovering over the 'sell' button just yet but it has taken a position in the neighborhood.
  • Thanks, Ron
  • I feel the same and in no hurry to follow the crowd. By the way, equal weighed S&P, RSP, is advancing ahead of SPY, suggesting broadening of the market. Will be patience and wait for better opportunities if and when a pullback takes place.
  • Quite some time ago one of our MFO stalwarts suggested that "Technology and Unemployment", a paper by Robert M. Solow, might be insightful. I downloaded the paper in pdf format, but the text was so cramped and the format so uninviting that I left it for a rainy day.

Well, it's been raining all weekend here in Northern CA, so I finally reworked the paper into a format that was, for me at least, readable. And in fact the paper proved to be highly readable, and interesting.

In that paper Mr. Solow made an observation that might easily apply to this thread:

"I conclude only that people ought to stiffle the tendency, in matters that they do not understand, to project the last six months into an irreversible trend."

He wasn't discussing the financial markets, but his observation might be valid here as well.
  • The march upwards has been so consistent since November that one would think the markets can move only in 1 direction. Tech has dominated and market breadth has been lacking.

Bears now hibernate. Those waiting for a pullback have been left in the dust. This bull can run for quite a while. We have seen this movie before. Even if valuations are presently somewhat irrational (debatable), they can become MUCH more irrational.
  • @JD_co - although it's only been a recent phenomena don't you think that the upward trend in RSP might be signaling a broadening in the market? Or too early to tell yet?
  • edited March 5
    Not @JD_co here. Think the shift away from the megacap tech has started late last week. Today, RSP is down 0.3% while the broader indices, SPY is down 1% and QQQ is down 1.8%. The spread between SPY vs RSP is narrowing that suggest broadening of the market to the other 493 stocks.

At least for today, value funds outpaced growth funds. Bonds in general are moving up.