Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

IRS and Identity Theft

I’m wondering if anyone has experience with the IRS concerning their perception of potential identity theft and their labyrinth to certify that you are who you are?

Seven weeks ago I checked on the status of, for us, a significant refund and found a statement about their identity concerns and how to alleviate them. After multiple links I came to a page that asked for a reference number in a letter that I hadn’t received.

I then was able to request a copy of the letter, which was to take 3-5 weeks to arrive. So I waited for the letter which arrived 3-weeks later and tried my luck by submitting the reference number within the letter. No joy. The site would not let me get to the page requesting the reference number.

So I called their Taxpayer Protection Program hotline, which noted the high volume of calls, the wait time, and “did I want them to call me when it was my turn.” Yes, I wanted them to call me, and call me they did. Unfortunately, each time they called there was no one on the line - it disconnected within 5-seconds. This happened 3 times. So I thought, I’d try again the next day.

During that call to the hotline, the recording stated that they could not handle the volume of inquiries and to call back later. This has now happened for the last 7-days. I’ve tried the irs.gov/verifyrefund site, but it gets into a loop, not allowing me to provide the reference number. I can understand the high volume of calls since tax time is here, but for the website’s inability to accept my info is very concerning.

Is this normal operating procedure for IRS identity protection and the volume of problems the IRS is facing?

Comments

• I have not had issues with identity theft, but have had fairly good luck talking to the IRS about my deceased mother's now 3 year overdue refund. Of course 2/4 times I called the agent either really didn't know why I had gotten a letter ( as he claimed she thought they had the information requested when they didn't).

Have you tried calling the main number?

Since the budget increases they have been fairly prompt ( within 20 minutes) in answering the main line

I just tied the 800 829 1040 number but now it appears limited to 2023 reunds

800 829 0922 starts with option for economic stimulus questions then has options for letters you received and check refund status, so try that number

The most knowledgeable guy said in processing paper returns ( required wit deceased tax payer) they have to do them by hand and they are overwhelmed. Newspaper articles have said this is in fact the case with millions of returns sitting in piles

The 2020 refund arrived last fall. We are still waiting on 2021
  • Thanks @sma3. I’ll try those numbers
  • Under-funded, undermanned. I'm indignant on your behalf. That's just the sort of thing that gets the Ordinary Joe superlatively pissed off. No accountability. I wish I could provide Level5 with the cure. The ones in charge just don't care. Good thing I'm not in charge!!!
  • "Underfunded" is the operative word; much of that touted replacement funding (for the cuts of the last decade) in the bill last year has been swept away in budget "negotiations." Guess who's behind those cuts.

They can't keep their website up to date with new rules and filing options, and the auto-letter-writers and the CSRs are on completely different pages -- from two recent snafus with the exempt organization arm.
  • I hope to see my Federal refund in my account tomorrow when I go for a withdrawal ! State refund showed up on last bank statement.
  • Update: called the main IRS number and verified my identity so they could transfer me to the appropriate number, and once again having to verify my identity, which included: soc sec, tax info from 2022 and 2023, for me and my wife, our address plus other info, I was placed on hold for 5 to 7-minutes. This happened on both calls. Haven’t a clue why I was required to wait on hold for 5 to 7-minutes each time (but they politely asked if I would). You would think that after two rounds of ID info, that it would serve as a verification of my identity and then move the refund process forward.

Nope.

I was offered the opportunity to schedule a walk-in appointment at a local IRS Center, and was told to bring the info that I just relayed on the phone. Frankly, I don’t get it, but will show-up at my appointment.
  • Bureaucratic pencil-pushers. Outrageously ridiculous.