Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

A New Year's thought

edited January 2013 in Off-Topic
As 2013 gets underway, I raise my glass to Roy Weitz, who founded MFO’s predecessor FundAlarm, and who ran it so well for so long.

Comments

• Hear! Hear!

rono
  • I'll second that motion and I hope all is well with him.
  • This site has a long way to go before it's in a class with Roy and Fundalarm.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Howdy Ted,

Your statement is toned as a slap in the face to those who have and continue to work so hard to make this site what it is today.

I believe you owe a full explanation as to your statement, Mr. Ted; for those of us who feel this is a most wonderful forum; as the words you wrote are easy and cheap.

Instead of being so negative; perhaps you may offer suggestions to further improve the site.

Your "king of the links" at FA and here, provides you with no special standing or grace.

Perhaps writing here will allow you to relieve some of your apparent bitterness, from wherever it may arise.

Respectfully,
    Catch
  • Reply to @catch22: I'd let it ride catch and just understand the personality you are dealing with here.

And back to the toast; I'll raise my beer glass to toast Roy and also David for creating such a great site. MFO has exceeded expectations in my opinion. I'm thankful for stumbling onto FundAlarm almost 6 years ago and to be a part of this new mutual fund - discussion format.
  • Dittoe, on the thanks to David and staff for providing an excellent resource!
  • MFO is my favorite website and one I check several times a day for insightful comments from David and other members. David, your dedication and sacrifice are greatly appreciated.

Mike_E
  • For years, I've come to FA and MFO to share information and insights and get a pile of new ideas that would otherwise never have dawned on me. I'm grateful to all concerned. Happy New Year.
  • I frequented Fundalarm for quite a few years, although mainly to learn and appreciated all the tireless work that Roy did . In the hands of David and his volunteers, MFO has continued to provide an incredible forum for investors. Both sites should be applauded for what they have accomplished, and through it all Ted has provided links of value. Thanks to all of them. David, its in a class all its own, not to compete or live up to anyone else. Happy New Year one and all.
  • Cheers to Roy and David and the staff that made this site possible.
  • edited January 2013
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool shall be servant to the wise of heart. (Proverbs 11:29 - King James Cambridge Ed.)

I'm not qualified to compare the two sites. Arrived late to FA and consider myself a lightweight in financial matters. I do know we have a brilliant leader and teacher in David. The only regret being I was never fortunate to be a student in one of his classes at Augustana. Hats off to both the old and the new.
  • I was a FA lurker for ever so long. Spoke up a couple of times but not much. I must admit that the existence of the Off Topic area has given me a place to say hi occasionally as I still lurk the areas where I am better off just reading.

And I am very grateful to all who have worked to start, improve, maintain, and contribute to MFO, my new lurking home.
  • Hats off to David and his crew. He provides an invaluable service.
  • edited January 2013
    Count me in too!

A good new year to all! While kudos are in order, I'd also like an honorable mention for the recent beautiful chart and table work put in by Charles, who I assume is a fairly new board member. Nice stuff, Charles!

OJ
  • edited January 2013
    Reply to @Ted: Really cheap shot, Ted.

I'll bet that David, Chip and Accipiter really appreciate your comments. If it weren't for all of their time and hard work you'd have no place to post all of those links, would you?
  • beebee
    edited January 2013
    This site reminds me of an irish pub...people of all ages getting together to spin a story, share a laugh, banter an opinion, celebrate a success, pour over a loss, throw around some hot tongue...collectively bubbling up between the music and song of hopeful good fortune or at least blind optimism.

MFO is a place you miss when you're away and a place that doesn't seem the same when you're not there.

Thanks all, and especially the MFO Overseers.
  • Happy new year
    Thank to David/Staff and all the MFO members for these precious inputs the past year or so. Hope we'll continue to do well this year and beyond
    regards
  • Reply to @bee: Very, very nicely stated! MFO is what it is and I don't believe that it is trying or looking to be something or anything else.
  • Reply to @bee: where is a 'like' button?
  • Reply to @Old_Joe: Hey, OJ!

Thanks, to you and to all the folks, for the kind words. Ted and I have had a principled disagreement, dating back years, about the presence of off-topic threads here and at FundAlarm. We understand each others perspectives but neither of us is likely to be moved.

Mostly we both work to contribute as much, and as best, as we can. There's the occasional kerfuffle (a wonderfully genteel word) which need not be a cause for any great concern.

Back to staring at a stack of Propaganda mid-terms that have refused to grade themselves!

David
  • Couldn't agree more with all the kind comments above... THANK YOU David!