Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Morningstar, Day Two: Matt Eagan on where to run now

Day Two started with a 7:00 a.m. breakfast sponsored by Litman Gregory. (I'll spare you the culinary commentary.) Litman runs the Masters series funds and bills itself as "a manager of managers." The presenters were two of the guys who subadvise for them, Matt Eagan of Loomis Sayles and David Herro of Oakmark. Eagan helps manage the strategic income, strategic alpha, multi-sector bond, corporate bond and high-yield funds for LS. He's part of a team named as Morningstar's Fixed-Income managers of the year in 2009.

Eagan argues that fixed income is influenced by multiple cyclical risks, including market, interest rate and reinvestment risk. He's concerned with a rising need to protect principle, which leads him to a neutral duration, selective shorting and some currency hedges (about 8% of his portfolios).

He's concerned that the Fed has underwritten a hot-money move into the emerging markets. The fundamentals there "are very, very good and we see their currencies strengthening" but he's made a tactical withdrawal because of some technical reasons (I have "because of a fund-out window" but have no idea of what that means) which might foretell a drop "which might be violent; when those come, you've just got to get out of the way."

He finds Mexico to be "compelling long-term story." It's near the US, it's capturing market share from China because of the "inshoring" phenomenon and, if they manage to break up Pemex, "you're going to see a lot of growth there."

Europe, contrarily, "is moribund at best. Our big hope is that it's less bad than most people expect." He suspects that the Europeans have more reason to stay together than to disappear, so they likely will, and an investor's challenge is "to find good corporations in bad Zip codes."

In the end:

• avoid indexing - almost all of the fixed income indexes are configured to produce "negative real yields for the foreseeable future" and most passive products are useful mostly as "just liquidity vehicles."

• you can make money in the face of rising rates, something like a 3-4% yield with no correlation to the markets.

• avoid Treasuries and agencies

• build a yield advantage by broadening your opportunity set

• look at convertible securities and be willing to move within a firm's capital structure

• invest overseas, in particular try to get away from the three reserve currencies.

Eagan manages a sleeve of Litman Gregory Masters Alternative Strategies (MASNX), which we've profiled and which has had pretty solid performance.

For what it's worth,

David

Comments

• edited June 2013
    A top young performer in the "multialternative" fund category...

• Quoting David, quoting Eagan: "invest overseas, in particular try to get away from the three reserve currencies." Dollar, Sterling, Euro, no doubt. ...Cripes, I've been investing overseas and grossly overweight there since '03. At the moment, my portf. is down from its all-time high by 6%. I'm not panicking, but I'm beginning to itch. Let's put it that way.
  • I'm sure it's English, but I need footnotes.
    "broadening your opportunity set" = ?
    "be willing to move within a firm's capital structure" = ?
  • Reply to @STB65: Grin. I thought the same.
  • edited June 2013
    Reply to @STB65: ""be willing to move within a firm's capital structure" = ?"

Be flexible and look at both bonds (convertibles, whatever) and stocks of a particular company.

"build a yield advantage by broadening your opportunity set"

Uh, diversification and multiple strategies, perhaps? (shrugs)

From the original post: "He finds Mexico to be "compelling long-term story."

I'm looking at FEMSA (FMX) if it heads into the $70's.
  • edited June 2013
    I don't think I could disagree with Mr. Egan's analysis anymore than I do. I think everybody should have some indexing especially on the equity side, saying you can earn 3% to 4% with no correlation to the markets sounds like a guarantee to me, while I do agree that Treasuries are in for a rough ride I don't think the economy is out of the woods and deflation still concerns me and we are the worlds reserve currency after all, I think investing overseas is a good idea like everbody else but I do think it is a tired trade. The world's economy is changing and the US stands to benefit from that change--despite our perceived dysfunctionality--please study the governments and economies of the countries you think are a good place to put your hard earned money--our problems are minor in comparison.
  • edited June 2013
    Reply to @STB65: Did they forget "with consideration for all stakeholders"?
  • edited June 2013
    When Duration Goes Negative

"Many bond funds--in particular those holding lots of short-term securities--have average effective durations of 1 year or less (and floating-rate funds often have durations very close to zero). But a handful of funds have effective durations that venture into negative territory. Morningstar's database includes four funds that reported having negative average effective durations as of their most recent portfolio reports. They are Great-West Templeton Global Bond (MXGBX) (negative 2.92 years), Scout Unconstrained Bond (SUBYX) (negative 2.70 years), Putnam Diversified Income (PDINX) (negative 0.23 years), and Eaton Vance Global Macro Absolute Return Advantage (EGRAX) (negative 0.04 years)."

http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/article.aspx?id=600751

Comparative chart of bond fund positions.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?t=6m&s=SUBFX&l=on&z=l&q=l&c=RNSIX,mainx,ffrhx,rphyx&ql=1
  • I find the MFO Fund Ratings charts (such as the one presented by Charles in the second posting in this thread) to be very educational. Is there a "library" of similar charts for different categories of mutual funds available on this site? Thanks!
  • edited June 2013
    Reply to @Bitzer: Yes, they are; and no, I don't believe so. As far as I'm aware, Charles constructs those on his own computer using Excel, and posts them directly for each thread. A reference library could be a great idea, but perhaps you should consider a question along those lines in a separate post using the "Technical Questions" heading to get Chip's attention.
  • Reply to @Old_Joe: It's coming.

We have risk profiles of something like 7700 in a series of spreadsheets (divided by age of the fund). I was reluctant to post the .xlsx file by itself. One reason was that many folks who find a 125 page document with 60,000 datapoints a bit unwieldy. As a result, chip and Charles are working on making it searchable ("show me ARTVX" or "show me all small-cap value funds" or "show me everyone with a Sharpe ratio about 1.2"). We're also planning of a series of articles (starting in July with "What's in Your Long/Short Fund?") each of which will present a table with all of the funds in a particular group.

The other reason is intellectual property concerns. Charles has an enormous investment in this project and I'm not enthused at the prospect that it would be easy for someone to vacuum it up. It's probably impossible to prevent, but posting it as a single file would pretty much make that inevitable.

Soon!

David
  • Reply to @David_Snowball: Would you/Charles consider having the entire spreadsheets available for a fee, perhaps with the ability to subscribe to get current, along with updates? At least he would receive some income for all his trouble.
  • Reply to @CathyG: Hi, Cathy!

We're sure trying to figure out a good way of handling the data. In general, I'm perfectly comfortable sharing it with folks who are comfortable with Excel, understand the definitions of the various measures and ... well, aren't pirates.

There's an intriguing possibility on the horizon, a software package called Pageflex. At base, it would allow us to place Charles's work in a database and would then allow folks to buy reports on individual funds. We'd set up a template, you'd pick a fund, and it would automatically call and format the current data. Something akin to Morningstar's one-page fund profiles. Not sure, but I would like to treat folks as fairly as I could.

David