Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Need help on selections for Large Cap in my Roth Ira

edited September 2013 in Fund Discussions
Here is what I have narrowed down to for my ROTH and I'm 49 years old. Please help me select from each of the catagories. Thanks!

MXXVX-LB
MPGFX-LB
VDIGX-LB
MARNX-LB

SEEDX-LV
GOODX-LV
PFPFX-LV
HUDIX-LV
FAIRX-LV

TFRVX-LG
SEQUX-LG
SHRAX-LG
VVPLX-LG

Comments

• Carefree

I am going to suggest the following:

VDIGX,SEQUX and a fund not on your list, BPAVX. Also consider ARTGX.

Since no taxes to be paid in a ROTH , at least by you, and these could be long term holdings I try to put funds in a ROTH I consider to be potentially bigger gainers. I have no bonds or allocation funds in my Roth. BUFOX and WAEMX are 2 such funds.

Not sure if this is good thinking or not. What else do you have in your ROTH.
  • HWMAX, VVPSX, PEMGX, ARTGX
  • Reply to @Carefree: You do not need three funds in the large-cap space. Over the last five years LCG has returned on average 8.38%, LCB 7.67%, LCV 7.21%. At 49 I'd pick a LCG Fund, either SHRAX or SEQUX
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited September 2013
    Reply to @Art: "No taxes to be paid in a ROTH." ........I'm confused? I thought the advantage of a ROTH vs. traditional IRA is that with a ROTH, taxes are paid when due, not deferred; then, when withdrawn, no taxes are due. Already taken care of. (?)
  • Reply to @MaxBialystock:

Max, Not sure what you are asking? ROTH contributions are not tax deductible like an IRA or 401. As long as you meet the rules withdrawals are not taxable.
  • edited September 2013
    Reply to @Art: Hi, Art. Well..... Same difference, different jargon? In your reply to Carefree, you must have assumed, but not stated, "no taxes to be paid in a ROTH when funds are withdrawn."
  • I would suggest a global fund for a part of large cap. OAKGX
  • Carefree,Read mrdarcey's excellent post in this discussion.Several of the funds on your list are included in his observations along with several other funds with long term success.As noted in his post,LC growth funds have as a general rule struggled to surpass benchmarks and passively managed funds such as VFINX.
    http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discussions-3/#/discussion/comment/28746
    Although not a large cap fund,this fund is worth a look.
    PVSAX
    https://www.putnam.com/literature/pdf/FS725.pdf

From your list my preference would be MARNX. I've always thought ones portfolio should have some exposure to quantitative analysis and short selling.With MARNX you get both.

http://www.investcip.com/team
  • I think VDIGX is a solid fund in every way imaginable. I own it.
  • I like HDV for large cap value/dividend play. It is relatively new (about two years old), but has done very well.
  • MPGFX, everything, sleep well, good outcomes.
  • Read the post on SPIVA. Buy the cheapest large value index fund (presuming you are in for more than 5 years) you can find. Move when you find something cheaper. Try to ignore all the noise.