Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Grandeur Peak Global Opportunities & International Opportunities Funds purchase changes

edited February 2014 in Fund Discussions
http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/915802/000091580214000009/grandeurpeakgoandiohardclose.htm

FINANCIAL INVESTORS TRUST

Grandeur Peak Global Opportunities Fund

Grandeur Peak International Opportunities Fund (the “Funds”)

SUPPLEMENT DATED FEBRUARY 19, 2014 TO THE PROSPECTUS

DATED AUGUST 31, 2013

This Supplement updates certain information contained in the Prospectus for the Funds dated August 31, 2013. You should retain this Supplement and the Prospectus for future reference. Additional copies of the Prospectus may be obtained free of charge by visiting our web site at www.grandeurpeakglobal.com or calling us at 1.855.377.PEAK (7325).

Effective as of the close of business on March 5, 2014, the Funds will close to all purchases, except as described below. Once the Funds are closed the Funds will no longer accept purchases from new or existing clients, unless the purchase is part of:

·a retirement plan/account which held the Fund prior to this closure;

·an automatic investment plan which was established in the Fund prior to this closure; or

·an automatic reinvestment of a distribution made by the Fund.

These exceptions will be implemented wherever possible, but they may not be possible on all intermediary platforms.

As described in the Prospectus, the Funds’ investment adviser, Grandeur Peak Global Advisors, LLC, retains the right to make exceptions to any action taken to close a Fund or limit inflows into a Fund.

Comments

• edited February 2014
    This just came up on the Grandeur Peak web site concerning the International Opportunities, Global Opportunities and Emerging Market Opportunities Funds:

http://www.grandeurpeakglobal.com/documents/pdfs/grandeurpeakglobalfunds-pr-20140219.pdf
  • Reply to @TheShadow: Hard To Be Closed.
    Regards,
    Ted

Hard To Be Closed: Have We Go Magic;
  • It's good to see a company keeping its word. I have some money in GPROX and intend on investing a lot more when they open their 'Fallen Angels' fund. This is really a model for what a small cap investment firm should be. Keeping your aum down is mandatory. It's a good rule-of-thumb to keep your investment expenses low, but Grandeur Peak seems like the exception to that rule.
  • Off topic here but I thought the word was clear on posting videos.
  • Reply to @JohnChisum: It's only posting videos on technical question forums Accipiter has problems with. Though I think Kaspa's suggestion is a good one all around.
  • "Retirement plan/account"

Does that mean individual plans like IRAs, or institutional accounts sold through 401(k)s and the like?
  • Reply to @mrdarcey: Thanks for clarifying. My browser was set to load and play videos automatically but I have turned that feature off as of late. Too many such issues on this forum. I also think Kaspa's idea of links only is better.
  • edited February 2014
    This is excellent and they are true to their word in controlling asset size --- they want to stay true to focusing on microcap and smallcap opportunities and not take in 5x more money so they can stuff in more midcap and largecap stocks.

I've been an early investor in their funds and liking what I see so far.
    Among the short list of other firms with global small cap and international small cap funds, there are very few managers truly committed to small/micro space. Most are, or have become, midcap products. We believe there is a truly unique investment opportunity in global small and micro cap companies, but it takes asset discipline and a significant commitment in resources to analyze the universe of over 30,000 companies. With the cost to do this work, and limited revenue potential for managers who cap their assets appropriately, few managers have chosen to pursue this compelling segment.
  • Reply to @JohnChisum: I would second that. I fail to see the attraction of carpet bombing a mutual fund discussion board with off topic YouTube video links, but maybe I am behind the times.
  • Reply to @mrdarcey: Good question. I just passed it along to Eric Heufner, the president of Grandeur Peak. I'll let you know what I hear.

Remember the other exception: funds set up with an automatic investing plan.

David
  • Intermediary platforms, I presume is other brokerages, IE Fidelity? If that is what it means then they would not consider automatic investing in the " intermediary platform " ?
  • Reply to @David_Snowball: Eric says:

We will allow the exception to include IRA accounts, but that’s where it is going to depend on whether the intermediary platform can make such a specific exception.
  • Reply to @David_Snowball: Thank you.

Not a problem for me yet as I'm a GPROX shareholder in my Roth, but it probably will be. Push comes to shove I'll transfer shares and set up the AIP.
  • HI. Was hoping to get feedback on a couple of questions. I'm considering investing in one of the Grandeur Peak funds, but don't hold any right now. Are both of these funds currently closed to new investors in taxable accounts? Also, with these closings only Global Reach will be open to new investors right? Do folks on the board recommend Global Reach or Emerging markets?
  • edited February 2014
    Reply to @MikeW: Global Opportunities & International Opportunities Funds are already closed to new investors (incl. taxable and non-taxable accounts). Global Reach is still open and Emerging Markets Opportunities Fund is slated to close 3/5/14.
  • Reply to @TheShadow: I would expect Global Reach to soft close sometime this year as well. Once the other funds are closed, investors will be looking for alternatives. Global Reach is one of the obvious choices.
  • edited February 2014
    Reply to @willmatt72: I suspect that they will begin to roll out one of the other remaining funds that David mentioned in his August 2013 commentary which were the US Opportunities, Global Value, or Global Microcap in the next couple of months. (I will keep an eye out for their filing.)

Since Global Reach is their flagship fund, I suspect it will remain open for a period of time gathering assets, while the remaining three funds will probably not be as large as Global Reach since they are subsets of other existing funds. While I have no information on what they will do, my guess would be the Global Microcap (subset of Global Reach fund) will be the next fund to be rolled out since Gardiner oversaw Wasatch's Global Opportunities Fund and still fresh in investors' minds with its overall performance under his reign and had some microcaps in its portfolio coupled with the performance of small caps right presently.

Not sure if Global Reach has gathered assets as quickly as Global Opportunities, International Opportunities and Emerging Market Opportunities Funds. Maybe it has to do with no announcement of closing it at some asset level?
  • Reply to @TheShadow: Global Reach is still quite small with only $73M in assets.

The Grandeur Peaks Global Opportunities fund was of course one of their flagship funds at inception of their new fund firm and so that got bigger fanfare. It focused on global micro and smallcaps just like the Wasatch Global Opportunities fund they were once managing. Currently, Grandeur Peaks Global Opp fund is hitting smaller companies than the Wasatch Global Opp counterpart based on the weighted avg marketcap of companies invested in.

• Reply to @MikeW: There really isn't much difference (so far) between GPGOX/GPIOX and GPROX, though it is a very short sample size.

If you like either of those, and feel like one of the closed funds fits your port, GPROX probably fits as well.

GPEOX is probably a bit of a different beast. I'm personally happy to let GP make the allocation calls.
  • Anyone know what will be the difference between global opp fund and future global value fund?
  • Global Value will focus on holding just the "fallen angels."

See this good presentation slide deck by Grandeur Peak on Global Smallcap Investing and an overview of how they invest.

http://soltisadvisors.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Fiduciary-Training-Grandeur-Peak.pdf

• Thanks very much for the helpful feedback everyone. very helpful
  • edited February 2014
    Reply to @Kenster1_GlobalValue: Global Reach is only eight months old, too. I would expect the assets to grow more quickly this year with the closings of the other funds.