Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Ian Lapey and Third Avenue

Ian Lapey, Martin Whitman's hand-picked protege and successor is now quite conspicuous for his absence on Third Avenue's website thirdave.com

It is as if he never existed. I did a site search for "Lapey" and got the following:

Sorry, no Results found!

Comments

• edited June 2014
    Robert “Chip” Rewey, III Joins Third Avenue Management’s Investment Team

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/10/ny-third-avenue-idUSnBw106021a+100+BSW20140610

"A slave stood behind the conqueror holding a golden crown and whispering in his ear a warning: that all glory is fleeting."
  • hella bad time in the cycle for you to have to be making a decision to abort, yet.....such a thorough scrubbing kinda rules out a serious health problem as cause. another smoldering coal gets added to the pile. how many is too many?
  • Charles said:

Robert “Chip” Rewey, III Joins Third Avenue Management’s Investment Team

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/10/ny-third-avenue-idUSnBw106021a+100+BSW20140610

"A slave stood behind the conqueror holding a golden crown and whispering in his ear a warning: that all glory is fleeting."

That's how G.S. Patton finishes the film named after him---the General being portrayed by George C. Scott.

• edited June 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • There is still some stability/consistency left at TAVFX. This is from the Morningstar analyst report:

"Victor Cunningham, Michael Lehmann, and Yang Lie remain on the fund's manager roster. They were added in January 2013 as Third Avenue moved further toward a team-managed approach to its funds. Lehmann and Lie have been with the firm for well more than a decade. Cunningham only joined Third Avenue in 2012 but has just as much industry experience. One analyst, who joined Third Avenue in 2013, is assigned to the Value team, though the team collaborates with other researchers at the company."
  • Hope I'm not beating a dead horse here, but does anyone know if Marty Whitman is still the ultimate decision maker at Third Avenue?
  • I will be curious to see if the portfolio changes at all. I read an article (which I can no longer find so going by memory) in the past where Marty Whitman wanted to invest in Lehman Brothers prior to it going under. I think that it was Lapey that told him not to go there. TAVFX took a hit in 2008 (it was also hurt by redemptions at that time) and hasn't recovered. I own both TAVFX and TAREX. For now, I will keep both. I will be interested to read 3rd quarter portfolio manager commentary.
  • edited June 2014
    it was either Lehman or Bear Sterns. One of the co that went under. As an FYI, I also own Selected American which has been suffering (relative performance) and recently fired Feinberg. We shall see. I am either patient or stupid (or both).
  • ET91 said:

As an FYI, I also own Selected American which has been suffering (relative performance) and recently fired Feinberg. We shall see. I am either patient or stupid (or both).

Does anybody know why Feinberg left or was fired? I haven't been able to find out any information about that. It seemed that for years, Feinberg and Chris Davis were two peas in a pod. Sort of like the situation with Ian Lapey. They just don't tell you anything other than, 'he's been replaced.'
  • Hi rjb112, When I listened to webcast at selectedfunds.com (I think Dec when Feinberg left), Chris Davis mentioned that he asked Feinberg to leave.
  • @ET91: Very interesting! Was anything else said about it?
  • not really. My guess is that someone had to take the fall for weak relative performance. Selected knew about risk that AIG was taking and didn't sell the position prior to it going under. Davis mentioned that Goei has outperformed S&P since they began tracking his results.
  • thanks ET91