Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Any Bets on what Today will bring?

Futures look a bit sick right now.

Comments

• edited October 2014
    Here's the thing, when you look at the market as a whole, it's down but not horrendously. When you look at certain sectors (oil, in particular and anything oil related), they've been obliterated. I mean, you have oil majors with a relative strength index in the teens (under 30 is oversold, under 20 is way oversold.) If you have any sort of long-term view (short-term, forget it), there are values to be had and yield while you wait.

Might things go further South? Sure, but I do think you have the broader market which is in a mere correction and you have certain sectors down very substantially in a short period of time. MLPs down huge, and as I noted in another thread, you have one of the largest with a $60.5 million dollar insider purchase yesterday.

• We're 6.6% off high.

Under 200 day average.

Volatility remains high.

Twice average volume this week.

• edited October 2014
    To Scott's point, here's same chart for XLE Energy Select Sector...slammed, on five times normal volume:

• Also, a random note:

With all of the discussion about energy being creamed, look at the drop solar stocks have taken. Once again, we have zero long-term view in this country - the SECOND oil drops in price, solar is thrown out without a moment's hesitation.
  • Just like the windmills, I hate seeing mile after mile of solar panels anywhere. Rooftops are great, especially on large buildings. But it's a big investment up front.
  • edited October 2014
    Yes.

Here is data for TAN - Solar EtF, off 34% since March:

• edited October 2014
    -361. Dang. Took a loooooong time for a buy order to go through just now for something.....
  • edited October 2014
    Bad start this morning, across board in equities...energy continues to drop:

• edited October 2014
    Scott: I'd rather predict the ending of an Alfred Hitchcock flick.
  • Retail sales numbers not good. First drop in eight months. Considering this is right before the Christmas shopping season (unless you are Home Depot) the fear factor must be high on investors minds.
  • Hi @Charles

Keep in mind, that we here; are not all equity centric.

Some bonds sectors are smiles at the moment; but who knows what 3:59PM may bring.

Thank you for all of your efforts.

Catch
  • Nice bounce off the lows. Dead cat perhaps. Two o'clock we shall see.
  • edited October 2014
    @catch22.

Here's where the smart money has been lately...with catch212 and Mr. Gundlach =) :

• With the drop in oil, also look at the rail car builders. Greenbrier from around $75 to $47 in less than a month. Trinity from $50 to $32. American Railcar from around $80 to $60.
  • Thanks @Charles for the graphics. They give a good perspective on what's going on.
  • Time to put on the bear face.
  • @scott: Glad I sold ARII @ $82. Been thinking about going back in, but have not quite decided on that yet.
  • edited October 2014
    scott said:

With all of the discussion about energy being creamed, look at the drop solar stocks have taken. Once again, we have zero long-term view in this country - the SECOND oil drops in price, solar is thrown out without a moment's hesitation.

Yep, Scott, they're taking a major whacking, but the extent of it may also be related to the fact that renewables have had a huge runup since about the middle of 2013.

Edit: the two renewable energy etf's I keep up with ended the day up 1.7% and 2.2%. Wild.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited October 2014
    Maurice said:

scott, I don't know much about the rail industry. American Railcar is on all cylinders. Highly profitable. Balance sheet shows improvements over the last couple annual reports. Also Carl Ichan is a major player of the percentage of float.

Oh, I completely agree with you. I'm just remarking at the speed in which a story (huge backorders, big theme, companies saying that they're doing well) is evacuated. I really don't think anything has changed in regards to the story, but it is what it is.

• @Charles:
    I am sure you have explained this before, but what do the size of the bubbles in your graph indicate?
  • Does anyone else like these running commentary threads? It did spur some conversation and maybe we should have one each day especially on big days up or down.
  • edited October 2014
    PRNEX gained +.74%
    Guess I picked wrong day to add to it.
    What down day?

These here falling knives are behaving erratically!
  • edited October 2014
    @Kaspa. The bubble area is a trading volume indicator relative it 50 day average. Solid means the trading volume is greater than 50 day average. Hollow means it is less than 50 day average. So, a big solid bubbles mean volume is several times the 50 day average. Small bubbles mean average volume. Nothing too scientific. Just a visual aid.
  • Thanks. What is confusing me is that there are solid bubbles smaller than some hollow bubbles. I guess the 50 day average varies over time.