Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

CNBC New San Francisco Bureau

CNBC has been broadcasting all week from their new San Fran location and while the show now offers some tremendous views in the background, one has to ask WTF is the thought process behind it. Closer to big tech to cover that?

For a channel going through some of its worst ratings ever, changing location certainly does offer pretty views but fixes none of the issues as to why the ratings are where they are.

Odd.

Comments

• So they are not on Wall St anymore? Is this the same set and building as the show that was in SF? Can't remember the name of it.
  • edited April 2015

So they are not on Wall St anymore? Is this the same set and building as the show that was in SF? Can't remember the name of it.

They have been going back and forth between San Francisco and NYC (although mostly San Fran it seems like, probably wanting to promote the new location) and I haven't watched enough of it to hear, but I'm guessing perhaps this may be permanent to some degree. Again, great views, but it's just the same CNBC in a different location.
  • Okay. Since I don't get it here I'm in the dark. They must be trying to get closer to the new economy?
  • I couldn't figure out where they were before. On the waterfront somewhere. Searching, I found that this new studio is downtown on Market st
  • edited April 2015

Okay. Since I don't get it here I'm in the dark. They must be trying to get closer to the new economy?

If that's the reason it's an enormous top call on anything "new economy".
  • They announced it as One Market Street. I've eaten there once (One Market Street Restaurant), just vague recollections of a nice but overpriced place.
  • edited April 2015
    @JohnC

I'm not sure CNBC studio programming ever originated from the Wall Street financial area. (They sometimes cut to the floor of the NYSE). According to the linked article, their morning "Squawk Box" show moved from a NJ studio to midtown Manhattan near Radio City Music Hall sometime in 2015. We happened to walk past it last January - just a 10-15 minute stroll from Times Square. Interestingly, there's a gigantic UBS building (think Art Cashin) in close proximity.

Rarely tune them in. Will say, however, that their evening edition (originating it appears in Asia) is far superior when they don't preempt it with sensationalized "canned" content. Not the running markets - but some of the industry insights are really good if one enjoys that type of news and analysis. (It's called "CNBC West" and airs on a different channel.)

Here's the article: http://talkingbiznews.com/1/cnbc-moving-squawkbox-set-to-midtown-manhattan/
  • edited April 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited April 2015
    "They announced it as One Market Street."

One Market Street is the former headquarters of the Southern Pacific Railroad Company. My father worked there for his entire working career. When Southern Pacific was subsumed by Union Pacific he was already dead: it's probably just as well as that would have killed him for sure.

imageOne Market Street
  • @Old_Joe Thanks! That was driving me crazy. I kept trying to remember what it was, and all that kept popping into my mind was the Post Office (Rincon Center).
  • Bloomberg West redux. Also several CNBC personalities have family in California.
  • Bloomberg West. That's the show. I enjoyed watching that. Emily talks a bit fast but the topics were good for the most part.

@hank, thanks for refreshing my memory. They were running out of Fort Lee NJ.
  • "One restaurant I know I ate at was The Old Clam House, down Bayshore Blvd past the airport."

@Maurice- Your memory is excellent expect in the respect of nearness to the airport. The Old Clam House restaurant does indeed look like a shack, but the food is good and reasonably priced. I'm happy that you got away from the tourist stuff and found it. My wife and I were down to "Fisherman's Wharf" the other evening, and it's even worse than we remember it. Just a collection of tourist rip-off joints.

The Old Clam House is (still!) located at 299 Bayshore Blvd, quite close to where I used to work, actually, which is more or less in the Southeast part of SF. Not a great neighborhood, but a lot of people work in various light industries around there, and are frequent customers. The picture certainly looks a lot better than the restaurant itself!

imageThe Old Clam House Restaurant
  • CNBC is all tech all the time. Unwatchable.
  • Old Joe. There's nobody seated at the tables. Is it always this busy?:)
  • Mitchelg said:

CNBC is all tech all the time. Unwatchable.

CNBC pushes tech and anything momentum heavily. I do think if they opened in San Fran to be closer to all of that, it's a huge top call for that.
  • @hank- OK, you want people? Here's with people:

We haven't been there in quite a while. If it's all spiffy and wonderful like in the pics we probably can't afford to eat there anymore. It really was pretty much of a shack, before. It looks like where the people are sitting is now enclosed- that used to be a small outdoor area with a rickety old fence around it.
  • edited April 2015
    @Old Joe,

"Ask and ye shall receive." ... Thanks

Actually, looks better without people.
    I'd say that fire hydrant out in front's a darned good idea.
    :)

Seriously - can't judge a book by its cover. Anything seafood sounds fine by me.
    Puts me in mind of Mark Twain for some reason. He lived a while in SF and did quite a bit of his early writing out there - as I'm sure you're aware.
  • "Also, I'd say that fire hydrant out in front's a darned good idea!"

@hank- You're surely right on that- that place is ancient, and pretty much all old wood frame and paneling. But look at the two pics- they must take the fire hydrant inside at night for safekeeping?
  • We better investigate this. A phony hydrant?

• "A phony hydrant?" Now, in this city that wouldn't really surprise me either.
  • edited April 2015
    LOL - in any city nowadays. But, SF's a leader from what I hear.
    It's getting hard to tell any more.