Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Cash flow in retirement - not from Art Cashin

Dex
edited May 2015 in Fund Discussions
I've been posting a lot about budgeting, near cash, and cash flow.

Here is my current cash flow calculation for this year as of today's date.

Budget (28,500)
Cash Back 243 - credit cards
checking/Int 753
STHBX 16,449
Money Market 1,700
Pension 8,058
Spent 12,494 - this the amount spent to date
Total 11,197 - this is the amount remaining of STHBX I estimate I will have at year end.

I could show you future years but basically it is a adding in dividends and reducing STHBX until SS begins.

This is the first year that the pension kicked in.

Get back to basics with your planning. But, as I said before, the younger a person, the less likely they will be able to have a comfortable retirement.

Comments

• Dex: Checking/int $753. How do you manage this?
    Derf
  • edited May 2015
    Dex, STHBX a dog of a dog. In the same short term junk arena it is completely outclassed by ASHDX and OSTIX.

Edit: You are lucky to have a pension. Shouldn't you be just fine once you begin taking SS? You may still have a little out of pocket but not much. I assume that will come from your nest egg?
  • beebee
    edited May 2015
    Junkster said:

Dex, STHBX a dog of a dog. In the same short term junk arena it is completely outclassed by ASHDX and OSTIX.

I was going to suggest a combination of OSTIX and WHIYX.

ASHDX has a short history from what I have researched.
  • bee said:

Junkster said:

Bee, I was in (and out) of WHIYX many times over the years. But it has never been the same since they lost their high profile fund manager. Now I am in and much prefer PHYTX. It has been a nice steady performer year in and year out compared to its peers. RIMOX is an interesting junk/bank loan fund. It has been an outperformer since they shook up their management team by adding several new ones. Everyone pretty much hates junk and have been warning of their high risks. But YTD some are up close to 5%.
  • Junkster, what do you like for those of us who want a tax-exempt bond fund?
  • WaltJ said:

Junkster, what do you like for those of us who want a tax-exempt bond fund?

Walt, there are others more qualified than me that could answer that. When it comes to tax exempt I only trade/invest in high yield munis. Last year was their year to shine with several returning in the high teens to 20%. I exited them in January when their momentum waned and YTD they are barely even on the year with a few negative. There are a host of reasons besides rising rates for their under-performance this year.
  • Derf said:

Dex: Checking/int $753. How do you manage this?
    Derf

That's checking balance and interest from STHBX for the remainder of the year.
  • Dex
    edited May 2015
    Junkster said:

Edit: You are lucky to have a pension. Shouldn't you be just fine once you begin taking SS? You may still have a little out of pocket but not much. I assume that will come from your nest egg?

I'm looking at taking SS at 63.5. That would give me 13 years where I don't have to touch my dividends/interest/principal. If I buy a new truck it is 8-9 years. This is another, example of what we both said before - How do people without a pension or a large investment account pay their bills??????????

• Dex
    edited May 2015
    Double post
  • Dex
    edited May 2015
    Dex said:

bee said:

Junkster said:

STHBX is for 'near cash' it was bought about 2 years ago and is down 1.3% from my purchase price. A fund with a stable price and some interest is better then a fund with a volatile price and higher interest. The interest has more then offset the loss - so the fund did the job.

When doing the comparison you have to look at the interest rate at time of purchase and change from purchase price.

What did those fund pay for interest 2 years ago and how did the share price change +/-%?

• Junkster said:

WaltJ said:

Junkster, what do you like for those of us who want a tax-exempt bond fund?

Walt, there are others more qualified than me that could answer that. When it comes to tax exempt I only trade/invest in high yield munis. Last year was their year to shine with several returning in the high teens to 20%. I exited them in January when their momentum waned and YTD they are barely even on the year with a few negative. There are a host of reasons besides rising rates for their under-performance this year.
    Thanks for your response, Junkster. You've been playing these various bond funds very well.