Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Can This Be For Real? President preparing to abolish Hawaii's statehood?

edited September 2015 in Off-Topic
Came across this reading Tuesday's IBD. Could Michigan be next?

"There's been no Hawaiian nation since 1898, when President McKinley abolished the monarchy and annexed the islands as a U.S. territory. That may soon change, however, thanks to the Hawaiian sitting in the Oval Office."
http://news.investors.com/editorials/on-the-right.htm. (click on top article)

I enjoy IBD's daily business/economic summary while attempting to "wade through" some of the additional commentary with which I may agree or disagree.

Comments

• I think this has as much credibility as Denali being the Kenyan word for black power. Time for another donut and coffee Hank.
  • edited September 2015
    @Mark: Agree ... It's early Sunday morning.:)

A "belated" added thought: "Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories." - Sun Tzu
  • It was interesting to click on the author's name and pull up his other contributions to IBD. "Why is Obama importing Muslims who mutilate little girls?" "A real strategy to defeat to Islamofascist enemy." His books include Muslim Mafia and The Great Bank Robbery "about how the government's attempt to increase minority home-ownership helped create the sub-prime housing crisis." That all suggests the potential for a modestly selective reading of the facts and a keen awareness of how to draw clicks. The IBD piece above drew 116 responses so far.

It's interesting teaching the News Literacy course for our journalism program. It gives me a glimpse into how folks process "the news." One thing that's struck me is that my students don't have sub-categories for what they encounter: it's all "the news" to them. That includes hard news, background pieces, analyses, guest commentary, letters to the editor and editorials. And they approach "the news" with a sort of binary setting: either it's all good or it's all invented. The picture of Alan al-Kurdi, the drowned three-year-old? Too perfect. Highly improbable. Maybe Photoshopped. Maybe intentionally placed there and positioned for maximum appeal.

It's going to be a long trimester.

David
  • Thanks for the link By reading a few stories on the page it is quite clear that this publication violates Moynihan's principle: You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.”

• edited September 2015
    IBD is like the Wall Street Journal...the data and graphs have merit, but you need to take the opinion pages with a grain of salt.

I think the author was upset due to the whole renaming of Mt. McKinley....as President McKinley has been a hero to Republicans since, well... since last Tuesday.
  • edited September 2015
    from this link (the book review:https://www.nytimes.com/books/99/11/07/reviews/991107.07wilsont.html)

and the link to excerpt

https://www.nytimes.com/books/first/l/loewen-lies.html

for quote:
    Nationally, a lone congressman from Ohio prevents the renaming of the mountain. In 1975, Rep. Ralph Regula from Canton, William McKinley's hometown, blocked a compromise proposed by the Alaska legislature to name the mountain Denali and leave the national park surrounding it named for McKinley. Five years later the National Park Service agreed to a compromise Regula couldn't block: it changed the name of Mt. McKinley National Park to Denali National Park, but the mountain stayed Mt. McKinley.
  • Politico seems to have more details about, well, the Regulations on how the name can be changed; also that this obstruction didn't end with Regula:
    But fellow Ohio lawmakers took up the torch and continued his blockade after his retirement, even as members of the Alaska delegation offered their own bills to change the name to Denali.
    http://www.politico.com/story/2015/08/denali-mt-mckinley-alaska-barack-obama-republican-reaction-213178
  • Yes, I can see how the far right would fret (hope) that Obama is going to terminate Hawaii's statehood. After all, that would then prove that Obama doesn't have a legitimate U. S. birth certificate!

[I'm sure that when Trump is president he will reveal his very knowledgeable people who have assured him that Obama's birth certificate is fake.]
  • edited September 2015
    quoting from the piece: "...strip McKinley's name from America's tallest peak after more than 100 years there. Mount McKinley is now "Mount Denali," in deference to Native Americans."

That reference is wrong. Such a name would be both incorrect and also from the Department of Redundancy Department. "Denali," by itself, means (the) Great One." So, "Mount Denali" would mean "Mount The Great One." Ya. Goofy.

I keep telling everyone that these "news" outlets all continue to need proofreaders. I'm the best candidate I've ever found. But they just don't care. That writer is full of s***, by the way.