Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

American Funds Says Low Fees, Manager Ownership Can Save Actively Managed Funds

FYI: As the decade-long trend continues of investors pulling money out of actively managed funds in favor or cheaper indexed strategies, American Funds is coming forward with a not-so-subtle reminder that active management still has a place in most investment portfolios.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.investmentnews.com/article/20160318/FREE/160319927?template=printart

M*: American Funds:
http://quicktake.morningstar.com/fundfamily/american-funds/0C00001YPH/fund-list.aspx

Comments

• Nowhere in the article is the fact that American Funds charges a 5.75% load. I guess that they just forgot.
  • @Soupkitchen: That's true if you buy the A shares, however C shares have no front- load a higher expense ratio, and a deferred charge of 1% if you sell the fund within a year. Nice to see you back on the MFO Board.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited March 2016
    Thanks Ted. Being that the basic premise of the article is..."In a nutshell, it comes down to lower fund expenses and higher portfolio manager ownership of the fund.", I thought that the load should have been mentioned. Opting for the C shares would also opt the buyer out of owning a fund with lower expenses. It's good to know that American Funds makes good use of their loads to fund their infomercials. Or, are those funded by their 12B fees?
  • edited March 2016
    I think that it is worth pointing out that once the sales load is paid an investor has the right to do net asset value (nav) exchanges from one A share fund to another A share fund. Also, it is my understanding, the sales loads are much less on the fixed income products which can later be exchanded into a stock fund. With this, I plan on keeping my A share American Funds and I might even buy more of them.

In the past and In following a seasonal investment strategy, where one moves between stocks and bonds based upon the calendar, I have bought fixed income products during the summer, adding to the strategy position, and later, in the fall, done a nav exchange for the bond fund position to a stock fund position.
  • C shares are called "level load" for a reason. They charge higher expenses that are used to compensate the broker.

In addition, " American Funds Distributors pays 1% of the amount invested to dealers who sell Class C shares", which is why they'll also impose "A contingent deferred sales charge of 1% ... if Class C shares are sold within one year of purchase." That's from the typical American Funds prospectus.

However, unlike most C shares, those sold by American Funds ultimately convert to the noload F-1 class of shares.

Speaking of F-1 shares, they should be available via a fee-only advisor. (In the 90s, you could buy them without an advisor via some of the smaller discount brokerages.) Going through a fee-only advisor to gain access to noload shares isn't unique. You have to do that for DFA funds also.

Old_Skeet is correct - loads (other than level loads on C shares) don't get charged over and over, at least so long as one exchanges within the same fund family. (There used to be a measure of reciprocity, where a load family would waive loads if the purchase was an exchange from a load fund of any family, but that's nearly nonexistent now.)

That's a strong argument for keeping (not adding) money in a good load family. The load is a sunk cost. No additional load, and access to a variety of funds.
  • Additionally, American doesn't charge a load on reinvested dividends or capital gains, as do some load funds.