Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Dunkin' Donuts Says Election is Killing its Sales

edited October 2016 in Off-Topic
If you’ve felt less inclined to go to Dunkin’ Donuts since the presidential election started, you’re not alone: The coffee-chain said last week that the election is hurting its sales.

http://fortune.com/2016/10/23/dunkin-donuts-election-sales/

Comments

• I read the words. Makes utterly no sense. That ice cream brand is part of Dunkin' Brands?
  • edited October 2016
    I can smell the BS all the way through my laptop...
  • Yep, when I am unsure I eat less donuts.
  • The CEO could be right. This election, the candidates and the whole process, is making quite a few sick to their stomachs. Who feels like eating.
  • edited October 2016
    Huh, ya; saw the blip on tv about this. Actually, this house is having more nutty donuts the past few months, but from the local bakery.
    "Holy crap" is what I just heard from Batman. Any other excuses?
    I thought I had seen on an infomercial that many folks ate more when stressed.
    Are alcohol products having sales increases, how 'bout chips ???
    I'll blame portfolio losses on the politicians, too.
    Ya, that's it; that will work...........ya, that's the ticket.
  • I'm deeply engaged in the restaurant industry and I'm calling BS.

The only significant impact that the elections have is that in swing states, TV advertising gets extremely overpriced due to supply & demand since so many spots are purchased by political parties.
  • edited October 2016
    Some here have alluded to becoming more cautious in their investing due to uncertainty about the election. So it's possible consumers have also become more cautious in their spending for the same reason. Should have some retail sales figures by year end to help determine whether that was the case.

On the surface, however, I'd agree: Sounds like Dunkins' argument has a big hole in it.

@Catch - We're not drinking more or less - but have downshifted to cheaper brands until we get our head around what the future holds.
  • On the surface, however, I'd agree: Sounds like Dunkins' argument has a big hole in it.

Good one Hank!
  • Haven't had a good donut since I was a kid. I just realized I don't eat them anymore and haven't had one in years. If I had one of the good ones from my childhood, it would probably kill me. That's what made them so good.
  • @Anna: cider donuts in New Hampshire. They will make you want to live a long time so you can come back, year after year, for 2.
    Were the childhood ones home-made?
  • AMFO Members: If want a real good tasting donut, you go to a bakery. Dunkin' Donuts are garbage !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Most definitely Ted. Always has been and always will be. There's a fine one down your way in little Cuba but the name escapes me.
  • edited October 2016
    Ted said:

If want a real good tasting donut, you go to a bakery.

Ted, That's a "half-baked" response if I ever heard one.

In addition, do you realize how hard it is finding anything to link here that you haven't already posted?

• Krispy Kreme has proved that you can sell air to the public for a tremendous profit. Just drizzle some sugar glaze on it.
  • @Anna: cider donuts in New Hampshire. They will make you want to live a long time so you can come back, year after year, for 2.
    Were the childhood ones home-made?

No, they were Greenville MS's idea of a donut. You could even watch them fry in a tub four foot across while you waited. Lather with sugar. Well, they were to die for (quite literally)! Grease, not cider was the MS delta's way of doing most things. (And no, I never knew if that big tub was empty and cleaned.)
  • Dunkin Donuts is probably wrong (or at least not provably right).
    [E]veryone seems to think wariness ahead of the election is affecting their business. Sometimes for the better, mostly for the worse.

Economists aren’t so sure.

“It’s essentially untrackable and unknowable,” said Ian Shepherdson, chief economist at Pantheon Macroeconomics.
    NYTimes: The Election’s Effect on the Economy? Doughnut Sales Are Probably Safe
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/01/business/economy/the-elections-effect-on-the-economy-doughnut-sales-are-probably-safe.html
  • I stop eating those donuts years ago. Actually switching to carrots and celery is not too easy, but we as a family is much healthier.
  • @Sven Your voting privileges are hereby rescinded, and your citizenship papers will be subject to review.
  • @Sven Everything good in life is either illegal, immoral or fattening.

Stay only as healthy as necessary my friend.
  • Losing a few pounds help me to keep up with my teenagers.
  • @Sven, and probably Lena as well.