Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

more security and privacy stuff

2»

Comments

• Just downloaded Adblock Plus for Firefox. I hope it's not so complicated that it becomes a project unto itself.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2012
    Reply to @Maurice:

The grand old days when every computer manufacturer had a different pinout on their serial cables and you had to resolder the cable to work with different printers or to communicate between two computer, the floppy disks came in 3 or 4 different sizes and different densities. When every computer manufacturer had different way of locating characters on the screen and making things bold. The one good thing that ibm and microsoft did was dominate and if you wanted to play the game you had to follow the defacto standards. And mozilla and tcp/ip and 10baseT helped the rest of the way going forward.
    But I didn't have the pleasure of using paper tapes or or toggle switches to code, just the hollerith puch cards.
  • edited September 2012
    Reply to @Accipiter: "But I didn't have the pleasure of using paper tapes or or toggle switches to code...."

Ah, you are deprived indeed. Don't tell me - no pdp-8; no LSI; no PET; surely a bit of wire-wrapping your own.

The good old days, indeed. In a way crawling through the ceilings throwing lines, making those cables (I never had enough), trying to get one thingy-ma-jig to talk to another thingy-ma-dig, what fun!!!

You know once things got easy, I quit having fun and had to actually work. Growing up was not in the plan.
  • Reply to @Anna: We real (hardware) techs were wire-wrapping before you software guys were born. I still have a couple of those tools!
  • edited September 2012
    Reply to @Anna:

The good thing about the good old days - IE v6 thru v8 didn't exist:)

Once they invented the pager and cell phone - things went south

• Reply to @Accipiter: They insisted that I carry a pager but I always "forgot" to change the battery, so they got mad and punished me by giving it to someone else "who will appreciate it".

Hee..hee..hee...
  • edited September 2012
    Reply to @Maurice: Mo, I agree with you opt-in should be the default. In fact, that is the law in those big government high regulation European countries.;)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hi Accipiter,

Your thoughts about this; of which, I have been following this story for several days.
    MS claims to have an IE fix in place tomorrow.........Friday, Sept 21.

MS IE, zero day cootie

We do run Java on home pc's, per some company needs.

Thank you,
    Catch
  • Reply to @catch22:

Personally, I would keep java (as opposed to javascript) turned off, when it is not needed and only enable it for certain websites that i needed it for when i needed it.

as for the zero-day (maybe these articles will give you more insights)

http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/09/google-hackers-carry-on/
    http://www.informationweek.com/security/attacks/google-aurora-attackers-still-on-loose-s/240006930
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57508807-83/experts-googles-aurora-hackers-still-at-it-years-later/

my switch to firefox many years ago and not using IE at home is how i deal with IE problems.