Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Healthcare: A Remedy For Long-Term Investors

FYI:
The fastest-growing segment of the global population is aged 60 and over, according to the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs. That slice of humanity is expected to increase by 45 percent by 2050.
The surge in the older population has contributed to a wave of new product introductions in biotechnology, medical devices and pharmaceuticals, and expansion of healthcare services.

In addition, healthcare is a remarkably durable sector for investors, soldiering on despite periodic market downturns, like the one seen last week when the S&P 500 index had its worst week since 2012.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.reuters.com/assets/print?aid=USL2N0QA12R20140804

Comments

• I'll agree with Ted on this. Buy healthcare and don't try to 'get cute' with it - just buy it and don't try to short-term trade it.
  • Added to PJP today, as Ive stated one of my fave etfs.
  • I agree, I'm invested in this sector for the long haul.
  • Although PJP has recently performed better, I prefer XLV which includes healthcare and related service providers such as UNH, MDT, TMO, WLP, AET, etc., in addition to pharma and biotech companies.

https://www.spdrs.com/product/fund.seam?ticker=xlv
  • When I bought VGHCX over 10 years ago, I thought I was buying something which was a bit boring, not too flashy in regards to returns, and a bit defensive in nature in comparison to the broader equity markets.

Even though I was completely wrong on the first two reasons, I still believe that a broad-based healthcare fund can be a defensive holding.
  • I've seen a lot of posts here mentioning PRHSX and indeed its been in my portfolio for a while too. I wish I had made a bigger investment at the beginning because the performance has exceeded my expectations, but I have a handful of other healthcare related investments in PFE, ESRX, LXRX and HQL, so hopefully all the demographic trends aren't already priced in (my biggest concern with healthcare overall) and at least a few of the biotechs will discover blockbuster new drugs that drive better than average returns.
  • @kaspa, the reason I chose PJP over others is because it did not have other than pure pharma and biotech. I have that covered with FBTIX and PHSZX. It complements them nicely. XLV is a great choice for broad healthcare , devices, services that support hc.