Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Thanks Ted!

The long term performance and management of volatility make SGENX and MDLOX hard to beat.

A fund that didn't make Kiplinger list, but has a long track record of out performing the index and a great ER is VHGEX.

Here's the 20 year picture my mentioned funds (gotta love SGENX and MDLOX, especially if you can buy them load waived):

Notice how SGENX performed during the market stress of 2007-09:

• SGENX is wonderful, but it lost two of its top managers, Jean-Marie Eveillard (in 2009) and Abhay Deshpande (in the end of 2014). And it has 51 billion AUM.
  • blackrock fund is 60/40 (MSCI World/BarclaysAgg). it is misleading to compare an allocation fund to a pure equity fund.
  • fundalarm said:

blackrock fund is 60/40 (MSCI World/BarclaysAgg). it is misleading to compare an allocation fund to a pure equity fund.

Thanks for mentioning that fact...maybe Kiplinger is too loose with its definition of what a global stock fund is.

Is there such a category as "Global Balanced" which seem to fit MDLOX's allocation?
  • edited February 2015
    The M* category is World Allocation. (MDLOX is in that category.) Lipper breaks out more categories, but for MDLOX, it's "Flexible Portfolio." (The "SmartMoney" link in the MFO popup box takes you to Lipper info at Marketwatch.)
  • beebee
    edited February 2015
    I came across a world allocation fund, HCOYX, which hold an exceptionally large amount of Argentinian bonds...would like to get some manager information a that allocation choice.

From the fund's most recent commentary:

"The portfolio’s fixed income exposure remained short interest rate risk with average positions in floating rate loans and CLOs making up approximately 13% of the portfolio over the period, high yield bonds making up 6%, and approximately 24% of the portfolio in Argentina Sovereign Debt."
  • morningstar has world allocation category. GAOAX seems to perform better since its inception than MDLOX, for example. there must be others. these funds invest globally in equities and fixed income, and no matter what the service providers say, their internal benchmark is 60/40.
  • ron
    edited February 2015
    I've owned SGENX for a number of years when I loved Jean-Marie Eveillard but looking now to hold something that might be very good over next few years, both OAKGX and MWEIX. I'm more interested in past 3 years. We shall see.
  • Let 's not forget ARTGX. A little pricey, but a great record